another van question. Honda/ toyota/ dodge/ other, update.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3,051
So I am tall and it is hard to fit in any of the newer vans. The way they make the dash push out in the center hits my knee typically but my kids like vans. I can put up with a lot for my kids.

So I found:
08 chrysler town & country with 100K around $6000 (guy I work with father in law)
05 honda odyssey 170K Around $4500 (seems a little fishy though / craigs list)

So what do you think? I was gonna make a poll but didn't want to figure it out right now.

Thanks,

P.S. I am trying to stay around $5K out of pocket. I figure that is about what my budget could handle without dipping into my 401K. (I still have the dream of retiring some day HAHA)
 

clbshooter

Single-Sixer
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
101
Location
SWFL
I wish that GMC continued the Astro/Safari line. I still see them on the road. I have been looking for a 2005 (last year made) with low mileage but they are hard to find. I like the 4.3 V6 and rear wheel drive, heck some even came in 4 wheel drive.

good luck with your search
 

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
338
Location
New Hampshire
I am 6'6" and can tell you from experience that teh best van for the money is a Toyota Sienna. The Hoda is OK, but if a timing belt breaks, your engine will be destroyed as the valves will come down into contact with the pistons, with the toyota enginge they move in the opposite direction. The Dodge/Crysler/Plymouth vans are junk - we put three transmissions in one, two in another + electrical issues, so we traded that on a used Sienna and never looked back. It has the most room for big guys of any of the vans out there. Just my two cents worth. TD
 

roylt

Hunter
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3,051
TinkerDave said:
I am 6'6" and can tell you from experience that teh best van for the money is a Toyota Sienna. The Hoda is OK, but if a timing belt breaks, your engine will be destroyed as the valves will come down into contact with the pistons, with the toyota enginge they move in the opposite direction. The Dodge/Crysler/Plymouth vans are junk - we put three transmissions in one, two in another + electrical issues, so we traded that on a used Sienna and never looked back. It has the most room for big guys of any of the vans out there. Just my two cents worth. TD

Thanks. The way God built my legs is different than some. My femur is long. It is very rare that my knee isn't against whatever dash is in front. I did test drive a Toyota and it just didn't seem that great. It had a motor issue so that may have put me off to all Toyota. I'll try again.

The Chrysler is from a guy I work with so I feel more comfortable about it but there are no guaranties.

Thanks,
 

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Joined
Dec 18, 2012
Messages
678
To me 100k miles on a car is a lot, unless you are the one that put the 100k on it. I have Toyota Highlander AWD that just turned 100k, we put the 100k on it and I know it has been well maintained, if it needed something it was done. Buying a 100k mile car from a stranger is a bit of a gamble at best. The Highlander is the best car I've ever owned, just got 1 2013 RAV4 Limited AWD for my wife.
Cars have come a long way and 100k miles is not what it was 30, even 20 years ago. I remember years ago when a car got close to 60k dad would say "we need to replace the car, it has nearly 60k on it". I know you are trying to stay within a budget, but repairs alone could exceed your budget, buyer beware!
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
blume357 said:
Really,

I'm sold on Ford Econolines.... then just like the P pistols and Ruger... they decided to quit making them.


He's looking for a minivan ... not a full sized van.

REV
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
TinkerDave said:
I am 6'6" and can tell you from experience that teh best van for the money is a Toyota Sienna.

TD

No question about it ... theres a reason why they cost more ... the market realizes longevity, reliability, and quality.

REV
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
whichwatch said:
To me 100k miles on a car is a lot, unless you are the one that put the 100k on it. I have Toyota Highlander AWD that just turned 100k, we put the 100k on it and I know it has been well maintained, if it needed something it was done. Buying a 100k mile car from a stranger is a bit of a gamble at best. The Highlander is the best car I've ever owned, just got 1 2013 RAV4 Limited AWD for my wife.
Cars have come a long way and 100k miles is not what it was 30, even 20 years ago. I remember years ago when a car got close to 60k dad would say "we need to replace the car, it has nearly 60k on it". I know you are trying to stay within a budget, but repairs alone could exceed your budget, buyer beware!


100k is nothing for any Toyota ... neither is 200k.

GM's are shot and start costing you serious money at 60k.

Fords are a little better but not much.

REV
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
roylt said:
TinkerDave said:
I am 6'6" and can tell you from experience that teh best van for the money is a Toyota Sienna. The Hoda is OK, but if a timing belt breaks, your engine will be destroyed as the valves will come down into contact with the pistons, with the toyota enginge they move in the opposite direction. The Dodge/Crysler/Plymouth vans are junk - we put three transmissions in one, two in another + electrical issues, so we traded that on a used Sienna and never looked back. It has the most room for big guys of any of the vans out there. Just my two cents worth. TD

Thanks. The way God built my legs is different than some. My femur is long. It is very rare that my knee isn't against whatever dash is in front. I did test drive a Toyota and it just didn't seem that great. It had a motor issue so that may have put me off to all Toyota. I'll try again.

The Chrysler is from a guy I work with so I feel more comfortable about it but there are no guaranties.

Thanks,

You'd have to define ... didnt seem that great .... its a minivan ... they all suck. If you want a reliable trouble free car that sucks ... buy the Toyota.

I probably have close to 700,000 miles on 5 toyotas and have NEVER had a major repair. Biggest repair ive ever had is light bulbs, wiper blades, and tires.

That $5k budget is gonna be blown to hell when you need a $3500 transmission or a $6k motor in one of those junk chryslers.

So you drove ONE Toyota that was probably not maintained with a 'motor problem' and you assume thats how ALL Toyotas are ? Are you serious ? Do some research, man !!! :D

REV
 

roylt

Hunter
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3,051
So you drove ONE Toyota that was probably not maintained with a 'motor problem' and you assume thats how ALL Toyotas are ? Are you serious ? Do some research, man !!! :D

REV[/quote]

I didn't tell the complete story to save time. It was not just the motor. It also felt small and not comfortable to drive. But with the research I have done it seems all minivans are getting smaller in the drivers seat. So at this point I feel I need to start over and look at everything again. Plan to test drive a Honda tonight before supper. Maybe get to take a Toyota out tomorrow.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
I might look into something like a RAV4 or CRV as well or even the next size up like a 'gag' Explorer or other midsize SUV.

To your other point ... Minivans Have been getting LARGER over the years ... Not smaller.

Have you considered a full size conversion van ? You can usually steal those price wise. Either way ... To get something decent ... You're gonna have to raise your budget I'm pretty sure.

REV
 

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Joined
Dec 18, 2012
Messages
678
revhigh said:
I might look into something like a RAV4 or CRV as well or even the next size up like a 'gag' Explorer or other midsize SUV.

To your other point ... Minivans Have been getting LARGER over the years ... Not smaller.

Have you considered a full size conversion van ? You can usually steal those price wise. Either way ... To get something decent ... You're gonna have to raise your budget I'm pretty sure.

REV


I agree, I know everyone has a budget but this one will have to be raised a bit to get into something that hopefully won't be in constant need of repair. There's good vehicles out there with well over 100k and no problems, but problems can't be that many miles away, all parts simply wear out and moving parts break and need to be replaced. Hope you find what you are looking for and many trouble free miles from it.
 

roylt

Hunter
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3,051
revhigh said:
I might look into something like a RAV4 or CRV as well or even the next size up like a 'gag' Explorer or other midsize SUV.

To your other point ... Minivans Have been getting LARGER over the years ... Not smaller.

Have you considered a full size conversion van ? You can usually steal those price wise. Either way ... To get something decent ... You're gonna have to raise your budget I'm pretty sure.

REV

My budget is what it is. Single Dad so I don't have a lot of extra cash. I consider myself pretty lucky in this day and age to have 5K sitting around. I had been buying POS vehicles for 1 to 2 K and making them work. I figure 5K should be very nice but maybe not.

I appreciate the input from all. I know I will not be walking so it will work out one way or another.
 

roylt

Hunter
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
3,051
Drove a 05 honda tonight with the kids and they loved it of course but the dealer had to jump it, the one tire was low, nav didn't work, radio was locked (dead batt issue he said), while driving some sort of tprm or something like that light was on, when I got back I let it run and then the eng light and some VNA light or something like that came on. It has well over 140K on it and they were still asking $7ishK !!!

I will not be getting that one for sure but I did find out that it has more room than I thought from just sitting in it. The drive was worth it.

Looking at another 05 honda tomorrow. The craig's list one that seems fishy but I'll check it over good and get the vin to run. Still hope to drive a toyota too tomorrow.
 

Latest posts

Top