Another one bites the dust

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Joined
Nov 23, 2013
Messages
7,027
Location
Monroe County, MS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnXeQDqOOg

Good shot by the deputy from a chopper. :mrgreen:
A San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Deputy shot and killed a suspect from a helicopter Friday during a high-speed pursuit on a Southern California freeway, Fox 11 in Los Angeles reported.

The sheriff’s deputy sharp shooter shot the suspect on Interstate 215 in Devore, Calif., when he bailed out of his vehicle after leading police on a pursuit on the freeway going in the wrong direction.

Three people were transported to the hospital after the suspect’s vehicle crashed into another car.

Deputy Deon Filer told the Associated Press the SUV driven by the suspect sped up to 100 mph as it veered along streets and the interstate.

The suspect was originally wanted in connection with a home invasion, Fox 11 reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/18/police-shoot-kill-suspect-from-helicopter-after-high-speed-pursuit-on-southern/?intcmp=latestnews
 

bogus bill

Hunter
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
3,969
Location
utah
That`s a change and a pleasant surprise. Can`t count the times we see these 2 hour long low speed chases etc. Maybe they are starting to get back to reality in California. The public has been brain washed a long time watching the usual long chases I think usually done by idiot`s for their 5 minuets of fame.
 

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 10, 2002
Messages
7,897
Location
Redlands CA USA
bogus bill said:
That`s a change and a pleasant surprise. Can`t count the times we see these 2 hour long low speed chases etc. Maybe they are starting to get back to reality in California. The public has been brain washed a long time watching the usual long chases I think usually done by idiot`s for their 5 minuets of fame.

Hi,

Personally, I've wondered out loud for years why they don't take advantage of the large number of guys still around who once spent some time as door gunners on Hueys in a far off resort land and could be employed in exactly this fashion aboard LE choppers today. Maybe someone heard me? Hope so!

Rick C
 
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
9,165
Location
Greenville, SC: USA
At first I was going to take the contrary side on this... but you know the reality is that it seems the media and public will accept LEO's shooting a person running down the street waving a gun... but if someone is speeding down the highway in an 8,000 lb vehicle capable of killing numerous people... we have to use caution and wait for them to give up...
 

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
5,683
Location
On the beach and in the hills
Sounds like a good thing, and probably is. But, now the lawyers will get involved. His "loving" family will sue everyone involved. And, they will either or loose in court, pretty much the same thing either way.

The cops will fire the shooter for one reason or another, and his life will be pretty much done.
 

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
338
Location
New Hampshire
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.
 

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
7,885
Location
Wesley Chapel, Florida
HMMMM; TOO BAD they didn't do THIS with OJ; It would have stopped the inconvenience to THOUSANDS of SOCal Freeway drivers and would have SAVED the Taxpayers MANY thousands of dollars and it would have prevented that FARCE of a trial.
 

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 10, 2002
Messages
7,897
Location
Redlands CA USA
TinkerDave said:
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.

Hi,

"You run, you die!"

If you don't want all three of those jobs done by the same individual, when the guy in the uniform with the gun and badge says "Stop!", you stop. Felony evading arrest is the first charge I often hear when they do capture these guys, and that's frequently grounds for an officer involved shooting to be called a "good shoot" the way I've heard it.

Now the guy COULD have stopped, and if he had, he'd be wearing an orange jump suit right now instead of a black body bag. Choices, choices, choices... and each one has consequences. He made at least one really bad one... :oops:

Rick C
 

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
338
Location
New Hampshire
Rick Courtright said:
TinkerDave said:
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.

Hi,

"You run, you die!"

If you don't want all three of those jobs done by the same individual, when the guy in the uniform with the gun and badge says "Stop!", you stop. Felony evading arrest is the first charge I often hear when they do capture these guys, and that's frequently grounds for an officer involved shooting to be called a "good shoot" the way I've heard it.

Now the guy COULD have stopped, and if he had, he'd be wearing an orange jump suit right now instead of a black body bag. Choices, choices, choices... and each one has consequences. He made at least one really bad one... :oops:

Rick C

For those LEO who still respect the law and the constitution they have sworn to protect this is not aimed at you. For the rest of you, read on.

So the presumption that individuals are innocent until proven guilty is no longer valid? I though that when one took up the position of police officer, one necessarily put one's personal safety below that of others. I guess now that we have Law Enforcement Officers instead of police officers, they are taught to first kill the dog, then kill the person, then if there are no witnesses to fake the evidence and claim that they were in fear of their lives - even though they get to carry selective fire weapons, full body armor and drive around in uparmored vehicles.

The whole "You run, you die" statemenet is exactly what is wrong with our police force today. Furthermore just because a police investigator says something is a good shoot, does not make in one. If you want to know if it was a good shoot or not a private investigator who is not in the employ of the police or government should be the one stating so.

In my opinion, shooing someone because they are running means that generally they are being shot from behind - a cowardly act, (S. Carolina ring a bell?) If someone is running from the police today, they are probably running for their lives - not because they are guilty and even if they are guilty, it is the LEO's job to use non-lethal force to bring the person to trial - not just execute them. That is what they do in communist countries - not free ones. TD
 

redhawker

Buckeye
Joined
May 23, 2009
Messages
1,507
Location
Communist America (escape planned soon)
TinkerDave said:
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.

If someone is driving 100 mph the wrong way on a freeway they have stepped over the line from trying to escape to being a potential mass murderer if not stopped. What is the difference in this then a guy walking down the street with a gun taking pot shots at any person he sees? In this case you have a large SUV going 100 mph toward traffic going 65 mph its not going to turn out good. In this case, even though they shot the bad guy he bailed out and let the vehicle roll which still resulted in a crash which injured innocents. Had they not shot him, instead of the vehicle rolling away into traffic at maybe 20 mph and, although it still resulted in injuring those people in the other vehicle they survived. Had he hit someone doing 100 mph I doubt if you'd have any survivors. Had it been an immediate kill shot, instead of him being able to bail out before collapsing, many no one else would have been hurt. Deadly force is legal to use in the protection of others, it happens all the times in other situations such as, for example, a swat sniper taking out a hostage taker, and no one really questions that. How many times have we seen these pursuits end badly for people who are not even involved? It should be done more often. Maybe they would think twice about running if it was more common. In this case it was only done after the pursuit turned extremely dangerous, more so then your "usual" pursuit, if there is such a thing as a "usual" pursuit. I know if my family were driving in the area I'd want this guy stopped by any means necessary.

But please, explain to me how this wasn't justified, or is this akin to the BLM policy of any police shooting is unjustified?
 

bogus bill

Hunter
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
3,969
Location
utah
Years ago I had a friend who flew choppers on the sheriffs department. They were flying at night and spotted a guy on a roof with a tv set. The guy didn't see them so they got on the horn and spots at the same time and said, "This is God, that's a no no!" The guy got shook and jumped of the roof and got busted up!
 

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
338
Location
New Hampshire
redhawker said:
TinkerDave said:
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.

If someone is driving 100 mph the wrong way on a freeway they have stepped over the line from trying to escape to being a potential mass murderer if not stopped. What is the difference in this then a guy walking down the street with a gun taking pot shots at any person he sees? In this case you have a large SUV going 100 mph toward traffic going 65 mph its not going to turn out good. In this case, even though they shot the bad guy he bailed out and let the vehicle roll which still resulted in a crash which injured innocents. Had they not shot him, instead of the vehicle rolling away into traffic at maybe 20 mph and, although it still resulted in injuring those people in the other vehicle they survived. Had he hit someone doing 100 mph I doubt if you'd have any survivors. Had it been an immediate kill shot, instead of him being able to bail out before collapsing, many no one else would have been hurt. Deadly force is legal to use in the protection of others, it happens all the times in other situations such as, for example, a swat sniper taking out a hostage taker, and no one really questions that. How many times have we seen these pursuits end badly for people who are not even involved? It should be done more often. Maybe they would think twice about running if it was more common. In this case it was only done after the pursuit turned extremely dangerous, more so then your "usual" pursuit, if there is such a thing as a "usual" pursuit. I know if my family were driving in the area I'd want this guy stopped by any means necessary.

But please, explain to me how this wasn't justified, or is this akin to the BLM policy of any police shooting is unjustified?

I thought that police had many techniques and technologies to stop speeding cars including spike strips, car bumping techniques, et al. I simply do not trust that today’s LEOs are being trained to respect life when the first thing they do is shoot the dog, then the person.

There are several websites out there that track LEO misdeeds and after a while you get the feeling that they do not care about life anymore. A few examples:

When the DC police shot into the car of the lady, who in her confusion ran into a barricade and tried to back out, they narrowly missed the child in the back seat in their hurry to murder an unarmed dental hygienist. Then during the manhunt for the rogue cop in CA, they shot up a pickup truck that was the wrong make, model and color and almost murdered two ladies out delivering newspapers.

In N. GA, detective threw a flash grenade into the crib of a toddler and then later the judge stated that the child got what he deserved for being in the crib. The fact that the LEOs had broken into the wrong house apparently slipped the judge’s mind.

Then there was the college student who got pulled over on campus by the college police for a traffic infraction. When he made the mistake of asking the LEO if he was going to shoot him, the LEO pulled his service weapon and murdered him. I could go on and on, but instead, will simply agree to disagree.

I am sorry that there are so many poor examples within the ranks of our police organizations – it must hurt to read about one’s colleagues committing the same crimes they are supposed to be protecting folks from.

If you want to learn more about the truth concerning many of today’s so-called peace officers, go here: http://www.copblock.org/ or http://www.policemisconduct.net/ or http://freedominourtime.blogspot.com/

I used to have the highest regard for the police, now I cannot look at a LEO without wondering if I am going to be selected for execution because I failed to put on my turn signal. I have no use for the modern LEO and do not want them anywhere near me. They generally do nothing to prevent crime and many times only make situations worse, but I guess when the only way to control people is to make criminal out of everyone by passing laws and more laws, you get what you get. TD
 

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
338
Location
New Hampshire
graygun said:
To h--- with non lethal force! A perp going 100mph the wrong way is reason enough to get shot.

No possibility for the police sniper to shoot the engine block? If you saw the car, there were multiple bullet holes through the windshied. A couple of feet lower & the car could have possibly been stopped without the driver dying.

Perhaps these types of actions takes place because of our society's collective disregard for life. I do not condone what the driver did. I do not know his motivations, but I do know that unless a person's life is directly threatened (and the sniper's life was not) then it is wrong to kill just because that is the easy way out of a situation. You know as well as I do that if a private citizen did the same "in the interests of possibly saving lives", that person would have been put in cuffs without any hesitation and charged with murder.

One last thing, LEOs have zero mandate to protect the lives of anyone - none, zip, nada. If you think otherwise, now is a good time to wake up. TD
 

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Joined
Mar 10, 2002
Messages
7,897
Location
Redlands CA USA
TinkerDave said:
No possibility for the police sniper to shoot the engine block? If you saw the car, there were multiple bullet holes through the windshied. A couple of feet lower & the car could have possibly been stopped without the driver dying.

Hi,

Two questions cross my mind:

a) Do you watch too much TV? All the reports I've seen indicate the suspect had already exited his vehicle when the deputy took him out. Should we expect the sniper to take a shot at the guy's knee if he ran, or make some other fantastic but improbable kind of shot we see the special effects crew set up on screen so it looks as easy as knocking down a can at 10 yards?

http://bearingarms.com/deputy-helicopter-potentially-saves-lives-sniping-fleeing-felon-freeway-chase/

BTW, two of a reported nine shots went thru the windshield, and apparently thru the dash area. Check the six in this picture:

0919_NWS_SBS-L-CRASH-4-L.jpg


How close to the engine block can one expect to hit a moving vehicle from another moving vehicle?

And;

b) Just what is it about this creep's life that would make him worth saving at the risk to so many others?

Some places, some times, in some circumstances, the lines drawn during the incident just simply cannot intersect with those expected by the armchair commandos reviewing it later. In this case, the sniper did society a favor on several levels by his actions.

And as I said earlier, if the guy did NOT want to get shot, all he'd have had to do was STOP. It's a simple concept. He didn't get it. And the consequences of that ignorance were severe. The deal's done. Why keep beating on it as if that would bring the guy back?

Rick C
 

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
7,885
Location
Wesley Chapel, Florida
TinkerDave said:
Rick Courtright said:
TinkerDave said:
Wow - Judge, jury & Executioner all in one person - amazing that in our country individuals sworn to uphold the constitution can legally get away with murder.

Hi,

"You run, you die!"

If you don't want all three of those jobs done by the same individual, when the guy in the uniform with the gun and badge says "Stop!", you stop. Felony evading arrest is the first charge I often hear when they do capture these guys, and that's frequently grounds for an officer involved shooting to be called a "good shoot" the way I've heard it.

Now the guy COULD have stopped, and if he had, he'd be wearing an orange jump suit right now instead of a black body bag. Choices, choices, choices... and each one has consequences. He made at least one really bad one... :oops:

Rick C

For those LEO who still respect the law and the constitution they have sworn to protect this is not aimed at you. For the rest of you, read on.

So the presumption that individuals are innocent until proven guilty is no longer valid? I though that when one took up the position of police officer, one necessarily put one's personal safety below that of others. I guess now that we have Law Enforcement Officers instead of police officers, they are taught to first kill the dog, then kill the person, then if there are no witnesses to fake the evidence and claim that they were in fear of their lives - even though they get to carry selective fire weapons, full body armor and drive around in uparmored vehicles.

The whole "You run, you die" statemenet is exactly what is wrong with our police force today. Furthermore just because a police investigator says something is a good shoot, does not make in one. If you want to know if it was a good shoot or not a private investigator who is not in the employ of the police or government should be the one stating so.

In my opinion, shooing someone because they are running means that generally they are being shot from behind - a cowardly act, (S. Carolina ring a bell?) If someone is running from the police today, they are probably running for their lives - not because they are guilty and even if they are guilty, it is the LEO's job to use non-lethal force to bring the person to trial - not just execute them. That is what they do in communist countries - not free ones. TD

IF he was SOOOO innocent; WHY was he RUNNING by driving down the WRONG SIDE of the Interstate at 100MPH+ thusly ENDANGERING EVERY other driver and possibly their children at the same time; Sounds like a uncaring criminal to me . The rest of your postings all seem to be excellent garden fertilizer freshly gathered in the local stockyards.
 
Top