Another "Newbie" Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
Will the same dies used to reload 45ACP also work for 45LC? I'm getting the fever for a revolver that shoots both. :)

Mtneer

Single-Sixer
jack said:
Will the same dies used to reload 45ACP also work for 45LC? I'm getting the fever for a revolver that shoots both. :)

Short, simple answer - no. Even if you could use the same sizing die for both cases, you couldn't use the same crimp die. It's not like loading for the .38 Special and .357 Magnum, which I see from some of your other posts, is what you're familiar with.

The 45ACP and the 45LC use different shell holders too.

The good news is both use the same size primers, and some of the same bullets and powders will work for both cartridges. :)

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Nope. It is a false economy to try. You MIGHT be able to get away with it, but you are working metal to accuracies of thousands of an inch. Don't risk unintended consequences.

A set of dies will cost between $30 to $60 and dies made for your chambering will produce more accurate, more reliable and SAFER ammo.

Reloading is not rocket science, but it does involve smoke and flame and things that move terribly fast, and not far from your head. Don't risk it.

Lost Sheep

jack

Single-Sixer
Going to put that idea/project on hold. Thanks for the replies. ..........jack

gster

Single-Sixer
Some people will use a .45acp sizing die to size the top portion of a 45 Colt case when using tier 3 loads, so I've read.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Just watch ebay and occasionally youll find a deal.

Don't even think about it. Just compare the empty brass and it should be apparent it wont work.

It is only your head. You only have ne and a transplant is expensive.