Another new useless cartridge ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A few 0.00x" here and there, a few FPS one way or the other, a bunch of $$ spent on media hype, and you have the shooting world by the tail.
What did the 6.5 Cr have that the 260 Rem didn't? What does the 6mm Cr have that the 243 Win doesn't? What does the 300PRC have that the 300 Win mag doesn't?
In many instances, it's the rifling rate and ammo offerings that are the major diff. Ballistic science has proven that improved long range trajectory and energy retention can be had in a lower recoiling package by making bullets longer/heavier for caliber. With many of the newer 'whizbang' cartridges, this is the ONLY merit over older designs.
Grandson shot his elk with the guide's 300 PRC rifle--it worked great. Research indicates that this cartridge's only advantage over the 300 Win mag is the rifling rate/chamber dimensions that allows longer/heavier bullets than factory 300 WM specs will allow.
I've killed elk 100 yards further than GS killed his elk using a 300WM w/o a second thought(and it wasn't a $7K rifle and $3K scope) so I see no real HOORAH over the 300PRC.
I own a 6.5Cr and really like it. I bought it on a whim because it had a factory threaded muzzle. I fought the urge to own a 260 Rem simply because it required different ammo/bullets than I had and the 7mm08 was doing everything I asked of it (maybe discounting the 260 was a mistake?). Although the 'budget ammo' is showing up for the 6.5 Cr, in the beginning the 6.5Cr ammo was exceptionally accurate and this alone builds the reputation of the cartridge.

...what the 6.5 Screemoor should have been LOL!!!!

Well, you can't really blame the 6.5 Creedmoor for not being the perfect high tech cartridge - if you look at cartridge case dimensions, it's basically a .250 Savage Improved (necked up 0.007"), which has been around since Franklin Roosevelt was president. Back in the day, they probably would have called it the 6.5/.250 Improved, but since the developers wanted to sell rifles and ammo, it got a fancy new name! The .250-3000 Savage (either standard or improved) has always been a good cartridge, but I can understand why the marketing folks wanted something different to work with.
:)

bobbill

Bearcat
Mo =1

and we too must learn to respect individual differences. Still, too many anything will destroy......

Last edited:

rbmac52

Bearcat
The only rifle cartridges I shoot are the 22 Long Rifle and the .223 Remington. I'm not a big rifle guy.

As for handgun cartridges, I'll stick with what I have. Nothing new coming down the pike interests me in the slightest. The two newest cartridges that I have adopted are the .40 S&W and the 10mm. I shoot and reload 32 S&W Long, 9mm, .38 Special, 40 S&W, 10mm, 41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and 45acp. That just about covers it for me for handgun cartridges.