Another new Mini-14, another range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Well, I got my mini-14 tactical from Acrylictnk last week, and finally got out to the ranch to do some shooting this weekend. I shot about 100 rounds through it, and decided a scope would be nice. So, I had to go shoot some more to get the scope dialed in.

First, some pics of the setup. Mini-14 tactical, with factory ATI collapsible/folding stock, 30 rd Ruger magazine, Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope, and Onalaska Products 6-9" bipod. I removed the side and bottom rails from the stock, since I have no need for them. I left the top one for looks :D

The ATI stock is nicer than I expected. They provide filler plates to cover the holes when the rails are removed, and enough swivel studs to mount about 15 different slings. It's well made and sturdy. The only complaint I have is that the finger grooves on the pistol grip are too low. I have to reach too far upward with my trigger finger. I dealt with it at the ranch by moving my fingers up a groove, and resting my middle finger just below the trigger guard.

I also have a Hogue overmolded stock for it, but I'm waiting on a forearm liner to be able to swap them. The ATI stock doesn't use the regular Ruger forearm liner.

mini14002.jpg

And here's a target, 10 shots, from roughly 40 yards. I was standing in the bed of the pickup, with the bipod resting on the roof of the cab:
CCF07192009_00000.jpg

The mini functioned almost perfectly. In the first 50 rounds, there were 2 failures to chamber the next round, and one failure to fully eject the case. In the next 150 rounds, no failures whatsoever. Group sizes were best using Fiocchi 55gr FMJ ammo, I also used some Federal Bulk Pack from Walmart, and groups were about twice as big.

Overall, I had a lot of fun, and the mini was a big hit with my father-in-law and the other guys out at the ranch.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
No way that target was from a Mini, had to have been a AR. Everyone knows Mini 14 are only about as accurate as an LCP at ranges greater than 20 yards... :lol:

I'm joking of course, I have the same ATI Mini.. So far, mine has been very accurate out to 150 yards.

I'd like to find a good, red dot sight, anyone know of a decent one for a reasonable price?

BTW, great pics!

Sig685

Single-Sixer
I was going to say that was a pretty bad 200 yard target for a scoped AR-15 and then I went up and read where this was at 40 yards, with a bipod no less.

Enjoy the rifle.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I know the group on that target won't win any awards, but I didn't think it was too bad considering:

1. I was standing in a pickup bed, with the bipod on the roof of the cab, with the stereo cranked up. Not a terrible setup, but not exactly a shooting bench with sandbags
2. I was using inexpensive ammo, I'm sure once I work up some handloads the group size will drop
3. There was some wind
4. I was having fun, alternating between paper targets, bowling pins, and clay pigeons tossed onto the side of the berm. That target wasn't full rapid fire, but I shot all 10 shots in about a minute, which means the barrel was a little warm. Add in the Texas sun on that black barrel, and it was hot just from sitting there.

I wasn't looking for a sub-moa target rifle, I have bolt actions for that. I wanted something fun, and that's what I have.

P.S. I'm sick and tired of AR15 guys being so condescending about any other semi-auto rifle out there. Sure, some ARs are sub-moa tackdrivers, but I've seen plenty at the range that were lucky if they could hit a barn if they were standing in it. The whole attitude of superiority when I was researching ARs is one of the reasons I decided not to get one. That, and the Mini was a lot cheaper.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Thanks for posting. I have been debating on what scope to put on mine; so I am always glad to see what others are using. Also love the bipod!
I agree with you, I've never been disappointed with the mini-14 and it is a blast to shoot.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Here are a couple more pics, traded out the ATI stock for a Hogue. This is a little more my style (And another reason I didn't want an AR). I wish I had better pics, my fiancee stole the camera again.

20 rd mag:
IMAG0242.jpg

5 rd mag:
IMAG0243.jpg

Sig685

Single-Sixer
slippingaway":sq4jrwmk said:
I know the group on that target won't win any awards, but I didn't think it was too bad considering:

1. I was standing in a pickup bed, with the bipod on the roof of the cab, with the stereo cranked up. Not a terrible setup, but not exactly a shooting bench with sandbags
2. I was using inexpensive ammo, I'm sure once I work up some handloads the group size will drop
3. There was some wind
4. I was having fun, alternating between paper targets, bowling pins, and clay pigeons tossed onto the side of the berm. That target wasn't full rapid fire, but I shot all 10 shots in about a minute, which means the barrel was a little warm. Add in the Texas sun on that black barrel, and it was hot just from sitting there.

Good for you.
1- I use a bipod also, I don't do benchrest and sandbags. Your group at 40 yards, looked a lot like my group yesterday a 300 yards with my AR-15, except that my 66 bullets made a smaller group than your 10-shot group.

2- I don't think ammo change is going to make much difference when several bullets have gone downrange. You might want to look at the 52gr SMK, the 69gr SMK or perhaps the 53gr flat base SMK. AA2230 is a good powder for that.

3- There was some wind at 40 yards, you must be joking. Unless you are shooting in a hurricane, wind deflection at 40 yards is nothing.

4- Not that's a good point; it is important to have fun. The sun was really beating down on the line yesterday in South Texas and one really had to want to be there to shoot the match; it was brutal, I tell ya. Brutal.

I wasn't looking for a sub-moa target rifle, I have bolt actions for that. I wanted something fun, and that's what I have.

P.S. I'm sick and tired of AR15 guys being so condescending about any other semi-auto rifle out there. Sure, some ARs are sub-moa tackdrivers, but I've seen plenty at the range that were lucky if they could hit a barn if they were standing in it. The whole attitude of superiority when I was researching ARs is one of the reasons I decided not to get one. That, and the Mini was a lot cheaper.

In the case of the AR-15, it's not the rifle, it's the shooter and/or the ammo.

I don't know where you get the idea that some AR-15 shooters exhibit an attitude of superiority. If they can do it, it's just a fact of life, don't you think?

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Sig685":2jjfpxw3 said:
In the case of the AR-15, it's not the rifle, it's the shooter and/or the ammo.

I don't know where you get the idea that some AR-15 shooters exhibit an attitude of superiority. If they can do it, it's just a fact of life, don't you think?

I guess I should have clarified a little more. I've read through quite a few threads about the Mini-14 prior to buying it, and you have given a lot of good, factual information. Some of it has been critical about the Mini, but it was always based in fact. I have to say that this has been the exception during my research.

Some of the other boards I'm on (not going to name them) were the absolute opposite. Their posts generally took the position of the AR15 is the most accurate platform in the world, and God himself gave the design to Stoner. Anyone that buys any other rifle is an idiot, and deserves to be mocked.

Granted, there are some very nice AR15s, that are extremely accurate rifles. They're also very expensive. I feel like on a lot of boards, they've decided that since there are some AR15s that shoot that well, all AR15s are that good. Whether or not they can back that up with targets. Usually followed with "My AR can do it, as long as I do my part." But, I suppose that's true for any type of gun. I've seen it here, too.

I've seen some of the inexpensive AR15s, and I decided that for what I had to spend, the Mini-14 was a better choice. If you have some suggestions as to an AR15 setup that will be better for this price, I'll sell this Mini.

Also, I'm open to any and all suggestions about how to improve my marksmanship. I've had guns all my life, but was basically only taught to shoot "good enough" for hunting (hit a paper plate at 100 yards). I'd like to get better, I guess I just don't know where to start.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
Slippingaway, I like your attitude. By now most anyone else would have exploded into a paroxysm of anger and yet you kept your cool. Bravo.

I teased you and yet you maintained your composure, I am very impressed.

The Mini-14 does not have a lot of easy options to make it very accurate, but I do admit that it is a fun gun to shoot. It seems to do well if you can keep the barrel from heating up and in this regard the black polymer handguard is not conducive to good cooling; plastic retains heat. That's why I liked the wood hanguard better because it covered less. Maybe no handguard would be better, but it will look silly.

If you are a handloader, I would suggest you investigate a load with the components I listed earlier and for gosh' sakes, shoot slowly and let the barrel cool. I realise that is contrary to the fun you can get with shooting lots of ammo with the Mini-14, but you have what you have.

Or you may decide that this Mini-14 is your "fun gun" and to concentrate your marksmanship efforts with your bolt guns.

I like the .223 because it is easy to load and load very well, the recoil is not punishing (when you shoot a match prone, 66 rounds on .308 or 30-06 or something like that leaves an impression on your shoulder, I love to shoot, I don't like pain,) and there is a whole range of bullets with which to load. I only shoot two rifle calibers anymore; .223 and .308 and I shoot only may handloads, which are world class match ammo. I spend a lot of time and money on my components and assemblying them, so I don't plink any more.

When you are ready to get into serious rifle marksmanship, ping me and if I'm still here, I will be very happy to chat with you.

I drove by Weatherford on my way to Mineral Wells for competition a few years back. You have some good ranges in that area.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I've already decided that the Mini is my "fun gun" but that doesn't mean I can't always try to do better. I will definitely take your advice, and see what happens when my .223 components show up this week. I already know that the Federal Bulk .223 from Walmart doesn't work well, as large as that group with the Fiocchi was, the Federal bulk group was double that. I'll try and get some of those SMKs, and see what I can't come up with.

My rifle with the most potential right now is a 1909 Argentine Mauser. It was sporterized, and rechambered for .30-06. I need to slug the barrel to confirm that it's a .311 diameter, and get set up to load for it. The barrel is in great condition still, the action is rock solid, and super smooth. It needs a little work (trigger, scope mounts) but could turn out super. Not bad for a $125 gun. It's been my deer rifle since I was 15. Shoots great with the original open sights, just have to aim low since the lowest setting is 200 meters.

Sig685

Single-Sixer
I'm a little confused, so you need to help me out. If it was chambered for 30-06, the bore diameter should be .300 and the groove diameter should be .308 (.004 groove depth.) If you are looking for .311 that's more the 30 caliber Combloc ammo, 7.62X39. If the groove diameter is indeed .311 you will be losing velocity and perhaps some accuracy using .308 bullets in this barrel.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
The original 1909 Mausers were 7.65x53 Mauser ammo, hence the .311 groove diameter. Since 30-06 was such a common caliber in the states, the chambers were reamed to fit the longer 30-06 cartridge, but the barrels were not replaced. Most guys shooting these mausers either rebarrel them, or load a "7.65-06" or 30-06 case with a .311 bullet.

Since my particular gun still has the original barrel, with matching serial number stamped on it, and the bore still looks to be in good shape, I'll just resign myself to loading the 7.65-06.

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
fossils and guns":w5awbk4j said:
No way that target was from a Mini, had to have been a AR. Everyone knows Mini 14 are only about as accurate as an LCP at ranges greater than 20 yards... :lol:...

I agree. The rifle is junk ! Send it to me for some rehab. :mrgreen:

Slip---- I bought one just like that last month. I've just shot it a few time to be sure it functioned ok. How do you like the cheek plate on the stock?

I haven't decided about a scope yet. Just bought it, because I didn't have anything in .223 caliber.

Thanks, Dave

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I wasn't sure about the cheek plate at first, and just had it adjusted all the way down when shooting with the iron sights. Once I mounted a scope, however, I raised it up, and I liked it. It made it very easy to keep a good cheek weld on the stock, regardless of whether I was using the irons or the scope.