Another new 10/22 owner with a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

addylo

Bearcat
Greetings, all. Total noob here.

I just picked up my first Ruger yesterday, a 10/22RPFTF. I was kinda disappointed to find that the owners manual covers the standard 10/22 flavors (Carbine, Compact, etc) but says nothing about this specific model. Loading and unloading instructions appear to be the same but disassembly and reassembly are different enough to make the instructions useless. Up to now I've only owned a Sig handgun so the rifle game is new to me.

I figured I could find more info on the web but so far have been unsuccessful. As of now I've got two main questions:

1) How do you remove the standard Tapco Fusion stock to install the supplied angled stock? I've removed the screws but still can't seem to get the stock out of the assembly.
2) Where can I find information on disassembly and cleaning? I'm a bit nervous to just start unscrewing things without knowing where I'm going.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, and welcome!

I haven't seen that model "up close and personal" but from the picture, and the fact they give you the "standard" owner's manual, I'm gonna guess there's something "stuck" in the stock. My limited experience w/ synthetic stocks leads me to think that's a good possibility.

How far have you actually gotten when you removed the screws?

Assuming you've gotten the handguard off (looks like just one screw thru the front of the stock?) there should be just one more screw on the bottom of the stock in front of the magazine well that needs to be loosened/removed. It may be "captive" in the stock so you just loosen it enough to wiggle free.

Then everything should lift out of the stock. Sometimes it takes a bit of a smack w/ the heel of the hand on the underside of the barrel to get it to "break" loose from the stock, and it generally will lift up. Then you'll probably have to move the safety halfway between "on" and "off" to lift the action free of the stock.

That's fairly "conventional" 10/22 practice...

Now, if you haven't gotten the handguard out, again, it looks like there's only one screw in the picture. So it may be the h/g slides into a slot arrangement somewhere in the stock before it is screwed on tight. If that's what it looks like in real life, try wiggling/pulling/smacking it forward/backward to get it to break loose. Then it should come off easily.

But this is all "guessing" from previous 10/22s I've played with. If there's something "special" about this model, someone here will correct me and add the proper info for you. It's probably not that complicated...

Good luck!

Rick C

addylo

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

I took it apart yesterday and still could not get it out of the assembly. It's almost like it's glued in there. I also took it to my local range and had a fellow who owns a similar rifle look at it. He couldn't do it either.

I guess I'll just leave it as-is. The butt that is on there should be fine once I get a scope. If I ever want it off I may have to literally cut it out.

It was still a worth-while exercise just to disassemble the gun. Now I know how.