Another memory from long ago, and a revelation.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
When I was a youngster, a black man would drive a creaking, mule drawn wagon down neighborhood streets. As he drove, he called out "Rag man! Rag man!" every few seconds or so. As he drove, he clanged a gong attached to the wagon's seat.

For awhile, I never gave it much thought. And by the time I was curious, he no longer showed up. What did he do with all the rags he collected? I wondered.

When I went to work for a paint company, we sold twenty pound boxes of rags to painters for wiping cloths. So, a partial answer to my wondering. On vacation one year, in Oklahoma City, we saw a rag business, with acres of rags piled high in a mound maybe fifteen feet high. Finally got curious enough to do some wesearch on the matter.

Those rags go into making paper. Not just any kind of paper, but document paper, such as bonds, legal deeds and other official documents are printed on. High rag content is usually watermarked in the paper. Also currency is printed on high rag content paper. So the hundred dollar bill you have in your billfold may contain threads from your old jeans!

Now you know, too.

Bob Wright

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
Ever hear the old saying “p!ss poor”? Poor people would sell urine to tannerys for pennies. “So poor, they don’t have a pot to p!ss in” meant they didn’t even own a pot to collect urine.

Ever hear the old saying “p!ss poor”? Poor people would sell urine to tannerys for pennies. “So poor, they don’t have a pot to p!ss in” meant they didn’t even own a pot to collect urine.
The second part of that quote..... "So poor, they don't have a pot to p!ss in, nor a window to throw it out of " indicated that did not have a house to live in.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
The second part of that quote..... "So poor, they don't have a pot to p!ss in, nor a window to throw it out of " indicated that did not have a house to live in.
Yeah, you’re right. I forgot about the window.
I came from ” didn’t have two nickels to rub together“.

Latest posts