ANOTHER FUN EVENING

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
Today a friend brought me some primers I had on order, glad to get them! I'll share a few with my son & another friend, you don't want to get low on igniters!
While we were standing there talking I see a cottontail rabbit bouncing around my back yard, I've never seen a rabbit in my yard, badgers, deer, squirrels & grouse, but never a bunny..........no, I didn't drill him :D
A few minutes later my son shows up, gets his primers & we head out for a deer scouting expedition. We spot a few deer but nothing to get excited about and on the way home a big jackrabbit takes off down an old fence line, its getting late & I can't see the front sight against his fur, the first shot goes right over his antennas :wink: , he lowers them & my second shot really warps his whiskers :p right in the head, a lucky shot with the OM 357 & one of Elmers finest, the 173 gr cast, 5.2 grs of 231 in a special case.

35,000 pistol primers! Yippee!! I'll shoot all month :D

100_2147.jpg

One of the small bucks we spotted.

100_2138.jpg

This is a big old jackrabbit, should have kept his head down :wink:

bar.jpg

I'm wearing my go fast rubber sandals & my Barranti cross draw rig.

A nice set of English Walnut stocks I finished this week, good way to break them in :lol:

ahg.jpg

Dick

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Dick, I think its about time you seriously consider adopting a 46 year old from back east. You have WAY too much fun.

As always, great story and pics, .............. Dad ? (or do you prefer Pop :lol: )

How fast is that load your shootin' ? Around 900 fps ?

Lastly, where did you get the wood for your grips ?

sixshot

Buckeye
MD, rabbit stew? you couldn't cut up one of these old jacks with a chainsaw :lol: I've never heard of anyone eating an old jackrabbit, now cottontails, thats different!

Jeff, my son is a gunsmith & builds a lot of VERY expensive rifles, most of the stock blanks he uses has some leftover wood that goes to old dad :wink: I use his stock duplicator & turn out lots of them, shipped 3 pair thursday, both walnut & Holly. Yes, somewhere around 900 fps.
If you only knew how many forum members I've adopted over the years, all great guys :lol:

Dick

callshot

Blackhawk
Hey, Dick, I'll help you ignite those primers. I had that bunny in my yard 3 weeks ago. The only thing that I shot it with was my camera. It didn't turn out very well. Have you adopted any one else since me? Steve :lol:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Darn you, Dick..... not only good looking, but smart too............
my son is a gunsmith & builds a lot of VERY expensive rifles
That's great ! You trained him well. I would love to see some of his handy work. Perhaps that special "Dear old Dad model"

You Sir, are very blessed. I'm sure you already know that :D .

Keep 'em coming.
Jeff

contender

Ruger Guru
As fall approaches,, we come to expect good stories from sixshot. Another pleasant story to bring visions of fine days afield.
PS; I'm jealous about the Federal Primers. I need some Fed 210M primers myself.

mt

Single-Sixer
Wow, good score all around. Scouting trip, Jack Rabbit target practice and primers. You must be living right!

mt

americal

Hunter
Can't wait till rabbit season 8) those are large rabbits :shock: in alabama we have SWAMP-- CAINCUTTER species about as big as your jack----( head shot ) like I say sixshot is DEADLY :!: do you ever use just a single six :p

sixshot

Buckeye
americal, funny you should ask about using a single six.......or any other 22, I've never really cared to shoot rimfires, I do have a 10 shot S&W model 617 revolver that I shoot in competition but thats just playing, when I shoot a handgun I enjoy the recoil, not heavy recoil just the authority of a nice, decent load & hearing that big heavy bullet smack something, whether its a dirt clod, a jack, badger or a buck & I'm a happy man! :D
Most who know me know that I seldom shoot the monster loads like others do, I shoot a lot & the heavies only show up from time to time, there's just no need, even when hunting.

Dick

GhosT

Blackhawk
Dick,
It is a shame Jackrabbits are not good eating, as my favorite pic in this thread...lol.

But know ya speak true......
Known too many that killed those JACKALOPES....even the hornless version...none wanna eat em....lol

Live in Ohio...

Damn near every day got COTTONTAIL STEW running through my yard.
Kinda like MRE's...but shoot one...cops show up...lol

sixshot

Buckeye
Ed, yes they are still hard to find, these were $28 a thousand so we bought all we could, my kids got most of them, I weasled a few for me :wink:

Dick