Another "feel good" post of the day...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
...although it is more of the selfish kind of feel good.

After visiting my doctor and not getting the news I was hoping for, I convinced myself to stop in my LGS and pick up some ammo for Tuesday's dove opener. Sigh. More news I didn't want. A 5 box limit (25 rounds each box), $11 a box, nothing but #6 shot in 12 ga., steel shot only (California no lead law) $62 for125 rounds. Sigh.

While waiting for the computer to finish my background check (yes, I said background check for buying ammo, another California law) I asked the salesman about a Ruger LCP or Taurus 85 .38 pocket revolver. He laughed, said he hasn't had either in stock in since early March. Well, how about a S&W airweight 642 or 442? He laughed again. But then he asked if it had to be new. I said no, not necessarily. Before I could say "ring it up" he hands me a new looking 442 Airweight .38+p and tells me the background on it.

Seems a husband wanted it for his wife. 5hey made the purchase, took it to the indoor 4range connected to the store, fired off TWO rounds and decided she didn't like the recoil. Sold it back to the shop immediately (at a loss). Up for sale it went.

That little beauty went home with me for $349 (the gun, not the wife). Gonna have to have a trigger job done to ease up some on the 10# double action pull, but otherwise a dandy little shooter.

I needed that little pick-me-up. No more sighs for now. Plus I started my annual Dove Opener vacation about 2 hours ago. Besides shooting at targets faster than me we've got some days on the lake planned on the new houseboat 3 of us bought together. Yeah, my partner in crime Jerry is one of the buyers, so look for some more fish stories to follow. Some of you remember the Past Adventures of Jeff and Jerry.

I don't know about you, but I feel better.

eveled

Hunter
442 is a great gun, I really like black Centenial revolvers, the 340PD and M&P340 are much nicer and shoot .357’s but cost a lot more $. The 442 is a much better deal. IMHO.

I have Barami hip grips on my 442 and it gets carried a lot.

Mike J

Hunter
Glad you got something you like & have good time planned. It is good to enjoy life.

gunzo

Buckeye
Finding a reasonable priced 442 in this confusion is a pile of luck. In Ca. double luck. Hope it offset the news from the Dr.

Now! looking for shells on the day, or day or two before a shoot is a rookie move. Isn't it?

wolfsong

Staff member
gunzo said:
Finding a reasonable priced 442 in this confusion is a pile of luck. In Ca. double luck. Hope it offset the news from the Dr.

Now! looking for shells on the day, or day or two before a shoot is a rookie move. Isn't it?

Haha! Guilty! I had all year to plan, right? Btw, opening day is Sept.1st, so it wasn't really last minute, right? And I still had 200 rounds from last year...but compared to the 1000 rounds of lead shot shells I still have, a couple hundred rounds of steel shot is too close for comfort. I'll pick up some more when the next shipment comes in.

I had an 18x80 Stardust houseboat. You should have talked to me before buying. B. O. A. T.=Bring Out Another Thousand! Enjoy! I did mine, and lost it in the divorce, Miss it everyday, I have to mow! The 442 is a great buy!
gramps

Latest posts