Another bicycle restore this time for my only grandson

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
This is not going to be a monthly installment :)

I recently wrote about the bicycle I restored for my youngest granddaughter.

The only bike my son had that was still at my house is a 20" 5 speed that will need restoring, but it's too big for the 5 year old little fella. His mom still had one of our son's 16" coaster brake bikes at her house so my daughter brought it here. This one was rough! You couldn't even roll the bike because everything was rusted shut.

I already had everything I needed from the last bike, but I bought new steering head bearings because they were loose ball bearings and rusty. Ordered some "off road" tires and tubes from Amazon. They didn't come with the rim protector like my granddaughter's tires/tubes did. The ones on the bike were shot so I cut down the old ones that were on GD's 20" bike and fit them onto the 16" wheels. They're what keeps the inside the wheel spoke nubs from puncturing the tube.

This bike had loose and bent spokes that needed to be addressed. This bike didn't come with a kickstand. Here is what I am about to attempt to restore keeping all painted surfaces original.

I had to take bolt cutters to cut the chain off. The steering head and pedal sprocket assembly were super wobbly. Just picking it up just creaked of rust and 30 year neglect. Except for needing new steering head bearings everything else was mechanically okay.

This restore took me 7 days working on it most nights. I think it turned out better than I thought it would considering. I have about 15-20 hours in it, most in the intricate detail work meaning rust, nooks, and crannies. About 4 of those hours was in the coaster brake that would lock up about the third time I'd hit the brakes--every time! I'll bet 6x's I said I'd just take it to a bike shop, then I'd tear it down again. I finally got it.

It's a solid Made in USA bike! He hasn't seen it yet, and I know he'll love those tires! LOL

Did anyone else put a piece of rope in each wheel hub held together by electrical tape? We all did it as kids and it kept the hub super shiny. I put them on this bike and will coat the inside of the rope with very fine polishing compound to, hopefully, remove the rust I couldn't. Then I'll protect them with Carnuba wax.

Now I have some motorcycles that I've been neglecting... :)

Ride1949

Blackhawk
Congratulations on another excellent restoration. You're getting too good at this. Gonna have to hang out your shingle pretty soon.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Here are some I did. They all have original paint and stickers but some of them have been modified for period correct improvements. I still have the '94 Dyno VFR and the '86 Mongoose FS-1. The '88 Decade sold for four digits and the '86 Cool Streak brought over $600. I still have another Dyno (freestyle) but can't find a picture of it.

VF8-zpsrlga9yig.jpg

CS1-zpsc6c80ab5.jpg

C8-FAF8-DD-606-F-42-A6-B217-BAAA99-A43858-zpscxryo3f9.jpg

27-CB7-CB9-6-CA8-4133-B88-E-5507-E63-DBE67.jpg

57.jpg

Then I built these two modern style BMX bikes from nothing. The first one (top two pics) was for a raffle. It's gone. It cost a pretty penny including the professional paint job (black with purple flip flop pearl with GM Acrtic white bars) done in a body shop. I used almost all Odyssey parts. The second one (third pic) I still have. I got offered $1200 for the green Mongoose but my wife considers it hers and wants to keep it. The FitBikeCo (last pic) is hers too hence I still have it. I painted it myself in satin black. The Dynos belong to my two youngest of four kids and they haven't been using them but haven't expressed interest in converting them to cash.

A8845187-3247-479-A-9348-17-D4-F7-C1-E792.jpg

FAC8-FA41-C378-48-BF-B6-A9-8-B521-A3-D2-F41.jpg

1-E35123-C-5-C1-F-4292-B0-CE-8-BAB05147-CF0.jpg

langenc

Single-Sixer
Couple questions-
1. didnt the chain have a 'master link' that would allow it to be taken off and reused, perhaps.
2. what are function of those ropes around the axles? Just for
polishing as I recall.

Cholo

Staff member
↑ The chain didn't have a master link and was so rusted I had to cut it off with bolt cutters. The rope in the hubs will hopefully polish out the rust I couldn't remove.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Couple questions-
1. didnt the chain have a 'master link' that would allow it to be taken off and reused, perhaps.
2. what are function of those ropes around the axles? Just for
polishing as I recall.
Factory OEM bikes do not have a master link generally. I have a chain link tool that pushes link pins in and out.

The bike looks really good! I bet he will love it.

I’ve never heard about the rope around the hub idea. It’s a good one though.

On my daughter’s first bike, we got her these little beads that snapped on the spokes. It was a noise making device.

Another thought.

Around here there is an organization called “Spokes for Folks.” They refurbish bikes and then either give them to people who cannot afford a bike or sell them very cheaply.

Since we don’t have the space to store old bicycles, all our older bikes end up going to them.

Cholo

Staff member
Factory OEM bikes do not have a master link generally. I have a chain link tool that pushes link pins in and out.
I bought a chain breaker with the first bike restore.

For others who don't know, you'll still need one even if you have to cut the old chain off. It's needed to shorten the new chain and with reassembling most chains. The 2 chains I bought had a special link that snapped permanently in place.
On my daughter’s first bike, we got her these little beads that snapped on the spokes. It was a noise making device.
I think most every boy used baseball cards, but we also used heavy duty balloons that made them sound like motorcycles. Kids like noise LOL

Around here there is an organization called “Spokes for Folks.” They refurbish bikes and then either give them to people who cannot afford a bike or sell them very cheaply.
I saw a video about an older black man who did just that. He didn't actually restore them as much as get them going again so they rode really nice! He had a whole garage full of parts, very cool :)

Kids don't ride bicycles enough, anymore. There sure are a lot of creeps out there...