Another barbed wire fence story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I grew up crossing three strand barbed wire fences, you know raising the top strand, depressing the middle strand, and working your way through. And courtesy demanded you hold the two strands separated for HER to pass. This because the lazy man's gate or swing gate was too far to reach.

Nita and I were out west somewhere in a bird sanctuary when we encountered a barbed wire fence, or at least the remains of one. So, I politely separated the two strands and waited for Nita to cross. She just stood there sort of confused looking then asked, "What do you want me to do?"

She had never, in her life, crossed a barbed wire fince in that manner.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
That made me smile imagining that scene in my head as my wife grew up on a ranch in NW Colorado and knows exactly how to cross a barbed wire fence.
To be fair, Nita spent many days staying with relatives in Arkansas. But fences were rare in that part of the country as rice paddies predominate the area. And these are not fenced in. Only small pens were used for the milk cows and mules. And many of these were wood fences.

Bob Wright

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Crossing barb wire fences can get tricky.
I have seen more than one person get sliced up because of it.
I have a good scar myself because of it.
Not from trying to climb over it , I just ran into it.

When I was young, I chased after a couple of 'town girls' but soon discovered they lacked knowledge of too many aspects of country life. That and the fact that they began to feel I was far too 'cave manish' for their taste.
1716211665856.png

As for my experiences, most farm houses did not have electric lights, much less electric fences!

Bob Wright
I grabbed an electric fence with bare feet and wet grass. It was only a one-acre charger but will not do again.

contender

Ruger Guru
I had to chuckle at a few of the posts here.

I have enjoyed "educating" some ladies in my life about various things myself. And while I grew up in an area that wasn't surrounded by fences in general,, I did visit places that had barbed wire, or whatever. I was raised to learn the polite & correct way to do things if unfamiliar with what to do.
So,, crossing barbed wire,, or going through gates or whatever was learned at a younger age.

But to have to teach a lady something,, my favorite one is having to teach Miss Penny to stop at a door to allow me to open it for her. She was raised around a few men,, and even her ex-husband who did NOT have proper manners around ladies.

I can see a lady not knowing about barbed wire,, but when approaching a door,, and not allowing a man to open it,,,???

When I was a young boy about 10 years old we would go through a neighbor's yard to get to other friends homes in the neighborhood. For some reason this particular neighbor didn't like kids running through his yard. This was in a small town neighborhood, not in a rural area. One evening, after a day of fun and games with the other kids, my brother and I made our way home. Once we heard my dad's whistle we knew it was time to get there. We started running, took our regular route through the neighbor's yard, right into some barbed wire he had strung across the yard. I hit it with my left leg and flipped over it. My brother saw me go flying and stopped before he ran into it. Gashed my left leg pretty good. My dad was PO'd when we told him what happened. Still have the scar to this day.

TNT

Bearcat
My nephew used to grab the electric fence and tell his sister it wasn't on so she would touch it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Barbed wire? Try doing a low crawl, whilst dragging your M1, under 50 yds of tanglefoot topped with concertina, while 1/4lb tnt charges are going off around you and a guy with a 1917 water cooled Browning is shooting hundreds of rounds of live ammo 6ft over your head.:eek: Welcome to Camp Pendleton, 1963.

I have had some experience with concertina wire when I worked at a maximum security prison. Nasty stuff and it will shred you pretty quickly.

I can remember a friend of my uncle's whizzing on an electric fence when we were raccoon hunting. The howl he let out was amazing!

I try to stay away from barbed wire because it serves as a good deterrent...

I have had some experience with concertina wire when I worked at a maximum security prison. Nasty stuff and it will shred you pretty quickly.

I can remember a friend of my uncle's whizzing on an electric fence when we were raccoon hunting. The howl he let out was amazing!

I try to stay away from barbed wire because it serves as a good deterrent...
A GC buddy of mine told me his crews would ask the newbies to pee on the tamper to cool it off. An initiation none forgot.

When 'high tensile' barbed wire first came on the fencing market, there were multiple reports of guys being entwined by loose wire 'recoiling' under tension. Seriously, this was not a pretty sight and getting the individual loose w/o causing more harm was tricky.
Daughter came down last weekend to help me replace some fence destroyed in the wildfire. She's been off the farm for 14 years but still remembers the do's and don'ts of high tensile barbed wire.
Even though she's not used to the real work of farming, she 'manned up' and did her share all day Saturday. Sunday morning she admitted her arms were a bit sore but she still stepped up and helped me drive the last few steel posts and string/stretch/hang the wire.