another 10/22 - gun show find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Headed to the gun show this AM. Looking for a few parts and #1's. Saw a bunch of used 10/22's - just basic RB's for $250+. Wasn't until the second to last aisle I saw a minty used one tagged at $165. Picked it up and didn't even attempt to ask for a lower price. (hate hagglers). I cannot find a single mark on this to indicate it's used at all. :D
Looks like another build base. My son wants this one to have green stock. I'm thinking a Mantis perhaps but will let him help decide. :)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
A quick look through stocks and bbls and the little guy has decided he want's:

Blk-Green%20Fade.jpg

envy500.jpg

The trigger will likely once again be redone by TT Shooter.

hutchman

Blackhawk
I like the stock! Have you tried doing the trigger yourself? I found an article on where to polish and have improved mine greatly. It is not quite light enough yet, but every time I take it apart, it gets better!

I like these 10/22 builds!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I haven't the patience to do em anymore. I've got a Jard, a Volquartsen TG 2000 and some by TT Shooter. For the price of the better DIY kits he'll rework mine and have a result better than the Volquartsen. Only one I've found better is the Kidd.
This will be build #9 I think. :)

rifleman51

Bearcat
You got a great deal. I'm looking for a good 10-22 for some expermenting that I'm going to do.
It's great when you can find a 10-22, used, that has not been shot to death and doesn't have that crappy plastic trigger guard.
You did well my friend. Keep looking, with your luck, more will follow you home. Your kid is going to have one fine looking weapon.

Best regards, John K

BlkHawk73

Hunter
This is the 2nd sub-$200 10/22 I've gotten in the last month. The other was an older stainless model. I've yet to find any issues with the so called "crappy plastic" trigger assemblies. Then again, I'm not one that's scared of and get bent out of shape over subtle changes. Just waiting for all my HK's to start falling apart and breaking due to the inferior material used on those (polymer) ;):roll:

rifleman51

Bearcat
BlkHawk73":211x4sgl said:
This is the 2nd sub-$200 10/22 I've gotten in the last month. The other was an older stainless model. I've yet to find any issues with the so called "crappy plastic" trigger assemblies. Then again, I'm not one that's scared of and get bent out of shape over subtle changes. Just waiting for all my HK's to start falling apart and breaking due to the inferior material used on those (polymer) ;):roll:

I've got nothing against polymer guns or gun parts, I just think the gray plastic trigger guard on the new 10-22's look like crap.
I may just be a little old school also. I miss the days when guns were made of metal. When parts needed fitting or you made a new part. Too many of the new guns today are just "part changers guns". Gone for the most part are the precison fitted weapons of old. I love working on old double barreled shotguns or the Browning Auto Five. At least with a metal part, you can make and when necessary heat treat the part if you can't get another one. You can't just make a polymer part if some manufacturer decides not to sell the part to anyone.
That's not to say the HK's and other weapons that use a lot of poly parts are no good. They are great weapons. I just like working with metal.

Best regards, John K

rifleman51

Bearcat
The old flat tops were hand fitted and smooth as silk. The new one's with their CNC machined parts, you can feel every burr and rough spot in their way too heavy trigger pull. You used to be able to shoot one right out of the box. Now, it must be smoothed up just to get a decent shot off. The blueing used to be so good, you could sware you could see right into it. Now it's just a rough blue-black. Yes even the new S/A Rugers are a little bit of what I speak of. Have you ever looked inside an old double shotgun or double rifle where the parts, screws and springs were hand made. It's awe inspiring to think of the craftsmanship the old time gunsmiths had.
Now, take apart a Glock. You'll only need a pin tool with a plastic handle. You can replace the connector, put in a new guide rod and instead of a creepy 5 pound mushy pull, you'll have a 3.5 pound mushy trigger pull.
No, it's not practical to make firearms like they used to, but I sure do miss them. I was born 100 years too late. Yes there are some nice quality firearms made today, but few of them are worth a damn out of the box without work or aftermarket parts that have been precison machined and hand fitted.
Times and things do change and people and their ideas change with them. That does not make anyone a bad person. Sometimes the new ways are better or more convienent, sometimes they are not. It's all a matter of perspective.
Hand any older gunsmith an old weapon and watch him get a tear in his eye as he looks at the hand work, the fit of the wood, the smoothness of all the parts and the genious that went into the design, and the hand cut checkering. Yes, those were the good old days.
Yes, metals are better today, bullets and loads more accurate and todays weapons can shoot better groups, but they don't have the appeal to an old gunsmith that weapons of bygone years do.

Best wishes my friend, John K

BlkHawk73

Hunter
RedLabel":15hsmtdn said:
10/22s at the gun shows around here are scarce. I think people around here hoard them :(

There's always a couple at a show up this way. There was 6 or 7 at this particular show - new and used. I just happened onto this one at the right time (early). :)

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I bought a 10 yr old 10/22 a few months ago in like new condition for $160, local FTF. This is my 2nd 10/22. Now I have to get serious about getting the triggers more to my liking.