Anaconda vs 629

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
The new Anaconda's I've handled had exceptional build quality. I have a 624 no dash and it, too, has exceptional build quality.

I really wanted a new Anaconda and read every article I could about it. What kept me from buying one was that the average 25 yd. group was 2 1/2". To me that's miserable accuracy! I've never seriously bench rested over sandbags any of my revolvers that wouldn't easily shoot 2" or well under at 25 yds.

You'll love the Anaconda for looking at, but a big revolver that shoots +/- 10" at 100 yds. is nothing but a paper weight.

If you're thinking about a 629, I'd look up to 629-4 which is before the addition of MIM parts.

Onty

Single-Sixer
If you're thinking of a 629, I'd look up to 629-4 which is before the addition of MIM parts.
And I would add, if you spend bit more and get M29 or M629 Classic DX:

Smith-Wesson-629-Classic-DX.jpg

You will get revolver that makes 1.5" on 50 yds, TESTED at the factory. That is the reason why it is marked as DX. Also, notice those longer cylinder bolt notches, identifying revolver as a model with "Endurance Package". Another nice touch; so called "black powder cylinder bevel". IMHO, if you want DA 44 Magnum, M629 Classic DX is the way to go!

JackBull

Blackhawk
The new Anaconda's I've handled had exceptional build quality. I have a 624 no dash and it, too, has exceptional build quality.

I really wanted a new Anaconda and read every article I could about it. What kept me from buying one was that the average 25 yd. group was 2 1/2". To me that's miserable accuracy! I've never seriously bench rested over sandbags any of my revolvers that wouldn't easily shoot 2" or well under at 25 yds.
Thanks for the info.

Cholo

Staff member
And I would add, if you spend bit more and get M29 or M629 Classic DX:
Agreed, but not a necessity. I have a 6 1/2" 29 Classic, though not a DX. With a 2x Leupold I shot 1.5" and under groups at 50 yds with both Sierra 210 gr. JHC hunting loads as well as a FB 235 gr. hard cast SWC load. It all depends on what load S&W shot to determine their accuracy standards, which were quite high.

The 29/629 Classics are just that. You can't go wrong with a 29/629 Classic from the earlier 90's.

Thanks for bringing the 90's Classic series into it, Onty! These are not to be confused with the future Classic series.

K9T

Bearcat
I love my 629. I can't compare it to an Anaconda since I've never shot one, but I can say that the 629 is my favorite firearm. I've done a lot of handload experimenting with it this past year. I mostly feed it hot-loaded .44 Specials. I don't want to beat it or myself up with full house magnums, but I also want to shoot something lively, so I mostly stick to Skeeter loads (250 gr bullet @ 1000 fps) or Keith loads (250 gr bullet @ 1150 fps). I'll probably shoot more full house (240 gr bullet @ 1300 fps) as it gets closer to hunting season.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I prefer the S&W if, for no other reason than they are mechanically more simple and easy to take apart and re-assemble. An, I prefer the looks too........

IMHO,
J.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new Anaconda is better than the original one. I used to own the original. My gunsmith did not have a high opinion of the action and build materials, and I did get premature forcing cone erosion and all loads were within SAAMI specification. It was a beautiful gun that felt nice. I know Bowen has repurposed some of the barrels for non-Colt project guns. Maybe that was the best part about them! When I had mine, my shooting buddy had a 629 Classic DX and he loved his (and I admit I liked the big DX, too). As much I wanted to get a new Colt revolver, I limited my non-Ruger revolver collection to S&W for target and general shooting. While not as strong as a Ruger, the S&W (especially the Performance Center versions) are really well-designed and executed and accurate. The fit, finish, trigger and hammer, sights, and feel are great. I thought it would be nostalgic to still own a Colt, but just decided against it given their price. If you get one, report back with your thoughts and assessment.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I've had 29's/629's since the 80's and never liked the Anaconda, that is until I saw and handled a 2023 at a LGS and it surprised me enough to buy it.

For my first range trip I took the 2023 Anaconda and two 629's, a -4 Trophy whitetail and -5 Classic both without locks. I don't go goggle eyed over fit and finish (see the ratty -5 that I recently bought in the pic before I cleaned it up) and can appreciate it but it's no deal breaker. At the range, the three handled the .44 cartridge all equally but the Anaconda trigger is superb, one of if not the best DA I've shot or owned. That's not to say the 629's are bad, or can't be made excellent, but out of the box nothing I've owned is as good as the Colt.

The Anaconda's bare backstrap beat the snot out of the my thumb bone and connecting tissue after only a couple of dozen rounds so I changed the grips to Pachmayr's and will wear a shooting glove whilst shooting it in the future.

As far as the Colt being compared to the original, there's no comparison, I wouldn't trade two originals for a 2023, look for vids on it, but these are the best:

NOTE, THESE ARE NOT MY VIDEO PRODUCTIONS.

The bottom line is I don't have to choose between them but if I did I think a 629 would be in my safe as one has on and off since the 80's.

PS, my -5 has MIM parts and of all the S&W 44's I've owned it has THE best trigger. I'd not change those parts if "proper" steel was given to me.

Attachments

• DA_44s_X3cr.jpg
    DA_44s_X3cr.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Agreed, but not a necessity. I have a 6 1/2" 29 Classic, though not a DX. With a 2x Leupold I shot 1.5" and under groups at 50 yds with both Sierra 210 gr. JHC hunting loads as well as a FB 235 gr. hard cast SWC load. It all depends on what load S&W shot to determine their accuracy standards, which were quite high.

The 29/629 Classics are just that. You can't go wrong with a 29/629 Classic from the earlier 90's.

Thanks for bringing the 90's Classic series into it, Onty! These are not to be confused with the future Classic series.
How S&W can call the new 629's "Classic" is beyond me. It makes me wonder what they'd name them if they removed the lock? Maybe the 629 Classic, Classic?

Last edited:
Thanks, Gnappi! I'm assuming you're enjoying good accuracy with the new Anaconda, right? How do the cylinder throats measure, and are they consistent from hole to hole?

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Thanks, Gnappi! I'm assuming you're enjoying good accuracy with the new Anaconda, right? How do the cylinder throats measure, and are they consistent from hole to hole?
My first visit to the range with it I was just getting the feel for it and it whacked my right thumb pretty much straightaway so it was distracting enough trying to position the base of my thumb to stop the banging on it. I only shoot my revolvers DA and after the S&W's it's VERY different so I never really approached it for accuracy.

To tell the truth in all my life with all of the many revolvers I've had I haven't measured the throats on any of them.

More to come after I get to wring it out completely.

Latest posts