An older Standard .22 Auto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Here's a Ruger Standard .22 Auto that I found at a local shop.
I had looked at it previously, noting: that in addition to wear, it had some rust spots and the top end was loose. Well, I finally figured it ought to go home with me. A quick detour from the register to the store's indoor range and I found it displayed excellent accuracy and no stoppages :) Once home, I researched the serial number and found to, my pleasure, that it was made in my birth year (1953) :D . I tightened up the top end fit and then worked on the finish some (removed the rust followed by a little cold blue). Accuracy was so good that I decided to install a Clark trigger I had lying about. I'm very happy with it :)
312zker.jpg

2dqojm9.jpg

Regards,
Greg

J Miller

Blackhawk
Wow, now I don't feel so lonely. I'm not the only one who has an old Standard .22 Auto. I got mine waaaaay back when in 1976. According to Ruger's letter it shipped in May of 55. It was loose on too too. A gunsmith in Phoenix tightened it up for me and I've been shooting it ever since. Looks like crap, but after ten gazillion rounds it's still more accurate than I am.
RugerSTDauto.jpg

I've never tried the cold blue thing on it, maybe someday I will.

Joe

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Joe,
That's a great look your pistol has acquired; thanks for posting it.
I toyed with leaving mine as it was, but there was still some active rust on it that required a little sanding. The cold blue evens everything out for the moment. I have some rust bluing that I've never tried out and might do so on this one (then again maybe not as I'm pretty happy with it now).
regards,
Greg

J Miller

Blackhawk
Greg,

The guy I bought this pistol from used his Dremel tool to polish the lower half. It actually looks a bit worse up close.
I've been really tempted to send it back to Ruger for a factory refinish, but it seems that every time I shoot it, I can't bring myself to part with it long enough to do that.

So, I keep saying ..... "maybe someday".

Joe

Jman8182

Bearcat
gb6491":1v9hld8h said:
Thanks all :)
Jman8182":1v9hld8h said:
Great job. Did you paint the bird or replace the grips?

Pete
Painted it; the only black I had was in a rattle can, so I had to spray it on some cardboard then transfer it with a toothpick.
Regards,
Greg

Well, you did a great job.

I hope you enjoy shooting it. I love to shoot mine.

Thanks.

Pete