An odd question for you shotshell reloaders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

96/44

Blackhawk
Before my Grandfather passed away, he always joked that he wanted some of his ashes to be loaded into shotgun shells, then to be shot over his property up north. I am seriously considering doing this, and having a family trap shoot this spring. Do you see any issues with using my standard trap load, and sprinkling a very small amount of the ashes on top before crimping? On another note, while I think Gramps really would have got a kick out of it, is the whole idea in poor taste?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Use gramps for shot buffer huh? I think my late gun nut dad would've liked the idea too! If that's what your grampa wanted, who gives a tinker's dang what anybody thinks IMO! Just be sure to shoot well, he'll likely be watching... :wink:

SBH4628

Blackhawk
If it was a joke don't do it....Would be in poor taste for me :? Ask the rest of the family first.

GP100man

Buckeye
Or just keep it between you & grandpa !!

That`s what my grandpa would `ve wanted ,to keep it secret with "us".

People have done crazier things with ashes!!!!

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
There are many ways to scatter ashes. People who like the ocean want their ashes scattered at sea. people who like to fly want their ashes scattered in the air. I personally see nothing wrong with your grandfather wanting his ashes scattered in shotshells, but you should at least advise the rest of the family that this is at his request.

mattsbox99

Hunter
If he really enjoyed it, I would sprinkle a few in the shells. Its kinda nice being able to share those things with people even after they have passed. Helps ease missing them so much.

Whether you tell the others or not is up to you. It would depend on your relationship with them.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Not knowing if Grandpa was serious, I might be hesitant to do the shotshell "send off." But if you're sure it would be ok w/ him, sprinkling a pinch of ashes on top of the shot before crimping wouldn't harm anything. All you need is a tiny bit to be "ceremonially correct."

I know of a range that supposedly has at least one former member's ashes spread (done perhaps a tiny bit more reverently?) among the clay target chips...

Whatever you do, it's probably best to keep somewhat quiet about it. A lot of places have some funny laws about disposal of remains. Though I've heard--can't say I know anyone who's done so--those laws are frequently overlooked by friends and families... ;)

Rick C

96/44

Blackhawk
Thanks for your replies, I have discussed this with the other shooters in the family, and everyone seems to think we should follow through with his request. I hope to have a small get together this spring, share some memories of Grandpa, and do a little shooting at the same time.

Pal Val

Buckeye
If he meant the ashes from his ashtray, I say go ahead and do it. If you mean "his" ashes, I would look for something a bit more dignified. My grandfather's ashes are in an urn next to my grandmother's. It was her idea, not his, BTW!