An LCR problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I just got a Ruger LCR 357 Magnum revolver. I have a concern or question for which I prefer to obtain information from people who have shot LCRs (38 Special or 357) enough to recognize my concern.

My LCR's cylinder lock-up appears to have axial play that my 640-1, and both SP101's do not have. With hammer down, this play is, by experience with other double action revolvers, substantial. With hammer down and trigger "pulled" so lock-up is in its "fired" position, axial play is much less but still present. And play at fired is different for each chamber. I expect some difference among each chamber's lock-up, but I have concern that the revolver may require warranty work.

I don't like the idea of returning it if the play is what is within "normal" for this class of revolver. I would not expect lock-up to be as snug as target revolvers or more costly versions of standard revolvers - such as S&W Model 27s being more tightly fitted than Model 28s, despite their being the same basis revolver.

The LCR is not a revolver I will shoot thousands of times with 357 Magnum ammunition. My intention is to load it with 38 Special +P factory ammunition, Remington's "FBI Load." and Speer's +P Gold Dot. As I type, I have 1500 Remington's allocated for LCR's practice.

So I'm not worried that the revolver will self-destruct. Rather, my concern is dramatically accelerated wear to its timing that may cause non-fires when I need it to go bang.

Mus408

Hunter
Had mine for couple years and never noticed until you mentioned it.
Yes mine as a good bit of movement also but shoots fine.
All of my double action revolvers have some wiggle of the cylinder including my Alaskan and S&W revolvers.

5of7

Hunter
In a production revolver, you will want some play even when the trigger is pulled.
The reason is that the cylinder is not line bored to match the exact alignment of the chambers to the bore of the barrel.
This is because in the manufacturing process, each part has some amount of dimensional tolerance, so there will be some mis-alignment between the chambers and the bore.
When the bullet leaves the throat of the cylinder, the forcing cone in the barrel forces the cylinder to rotate slightly for reasonable close alignment, hence the need for a little play in the lock-up. 8)

pisgah

Buckeye
I can't say there's not a problem there, but... cylinder play can vary fairly significantly between two revolvers of the same model and still be perfectly fine. And cylinder play between two revolvers of different designs -- well, it's apples and oranges. Even a perfectly-functional Colt will have different play from a perfectly-functional S&W, simply because they are different mechanisms with different specs for such things. If the gun functions with no side-spitting, odds are it is normal.