Ammo Testing/Chrono Results - Ruger MKII Standard Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have been testing a Ruger MKII standard pistol, 4.75" bbl, this week for a friend who wants it for her mother.

Setting aside the debate for a moment on the adequateness of a 22LR as a bedside pistol, let me just say that it is all she can handle and I believe with the right ammo and the given reliability of a Ruger MKII, safety features and ease of operation, it can serve in that purpose and certainly give a level of comfort to a lady nearing 80 years (but still quite spry! :D) The ability to deliver 10 of those little wasps on target at an intruder without a lot of high blast and recoil has its place.

I have run about 800 rounds through the subject pistol at this point after a thorough takedown and cleaning but have not cleaned it since. It has a factory new mag. There have only been two failures, stovepipes on the 8th round with Rem Bulk Golden Bullets (hey, at least they all fired!) and they were not in serious ammo contention anyway but were sort of a default "if anything will fail, they probably will" choice. Ammo choice is limited to something readily available at WalMart or similar outlet, because she intends to practice with it and in fact is taking the CCW qualification class in NC in a couple of months. That limits the choices, but there are still some decent ones. My philosophy is that a 22LR needs adequate penetration and utter reliability. I rejected most HPs since they are not very likely to expand and if they do it just retards penetration, and also most of the hyper velocity lightweight bullet ammo for the same reason.

Here are the results of chrono testing:

Temp 73F; Wind 12-15, with gusts, from behind; PACT MKIV chrono, distance 5 yards

CCI Mini-Mag solids, 40 grains; 10 shots (ammo ~8 years old)
Hi: 1072 fps
Lo: 1022 fps
ES: 50
Avg: 1046 fps

CCI Mini-Mag solids - test 2, 40 grains, 10 shots (new sleeve of current production)
Hi: 1066 fps
Lo: 995 fps
ES: 72
Avg: 1041 fps
This ammo has been 100% reliable for over 300 rounds in this pistol. In fact, in talking to a couple of friends of mine, who have been using this ammo along with me since it came out, we can't really recall many problems *ever* with it, if at all.

CCI Velocitor, 40 grains (new), 20 shots
Hi: 1158 fps
Lo: 1088 fps
ES: 75
Avg: 1114 fps
This ammo has also been 100% reliable for 100 rounds, but it has a louder report and a lot of bolt slap. It is certainly worth testing more. I don't think using it would cause any problems for the gun for limited use. I may recommend reserving it for keeping the mag loaded and recommend the Mini-Mags for most practice. The gain of ~70fps is notable when penetration velocity is about your best ally for the 22LR.

Anyone ever had any issues with Velocitor in a MKII?

Win DynaPoint 22LR, 10 rounds (old stock)
(some of my reserve stash and not really in consideration, but I was curious about them so for historical purposes only)
Hi: 999 fps
Lo: 969 fps
ES: 30
Avg: 988
Gotta love that ES. No wonder this stuff shoots great in nearly everything!

Rem Yellow Jackets, 33 grains, 10 rounds (new)
Hi: 1204 fps
Lo: 1122 fps
ES: 82
Avg: 1169 fps
I know some folks like these for the intended purpose. I think they are a little light and if they do open penetration may be impaired. Still, it is interesting data.

CCI Blazer Bulk, 40 grains, 10 shots (new)
Hi: 1099 fps
Lo: 1054 fps
ES: 45
Avg: 1081 fps

CCI Blazer Bulk - test 2, 40 grains, 10 shots (new)
Hi: 1092 fps
Lo: 1044 fps
ES: 48
Avg: 1074 fps
This one was a surprise, both for velocity and consistency. It has also been very reliable in the gun for over 300 rounds , in fact it is in most things I shoot it in. Although, it does tend to lead up the cylinder face of my Single-Sixes after an few hundred rounds and is dirtier than the CCI Mini-Mags. Still, I was both surprised and impressed with the numbers.

Of course, everything tested was completely satisfactory for grouping and POA/POI in the pistol. It's difficult to make any of the test subject ammo shoot bad in a MKII unless it has some issues with a bad bore or leading. Groups of 50 rounds at 7 yards were pretty easy to cover with a quarter shooting off hand, and at 15 yards easily within 2.5-3" even firing fast (<5 sec) and much better when I took my time. Everything fired even much faster checking for function worked just fine too, except for the aformentioned Rem stovepipes.

I thought this info may be of use to other forum members. I always like it when someone has actual test data to report rather than basing information on factory promotional information.

ACM73

Bearcat
Good info! Thanks for posting! Hopefully your friend's mom will have some fun with the gun and it will give her some piece of mind at night.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Your ballistic findings relating to Mini-Mags and Blazers corroborate my own chronograph tests. With equivalent velocities and a lower ES for the Blazers, I've never seen sense in paying more for Mini-Mags. I buy Blazers by the case and have absolutely no issues with them.

I've never had any leading problems. In fact, I regard them as quite clean. However, I have a practice that may contribute to this. Each time I open a brick, I spray all the cartridges lightly with silicone spray. I started doing this at the time I switched to Blazers when other bulk brands were giving me occasional feeding problems with my Beretta 92 FS Practice Kit .22 conversion.

The silicone-sprayed Blazers never gave me a problem in the Beretta. But I've continued the practice to this day, using the Blazers in all my .22s. I have no issues of any kind in any of them. Is it the silicone? I don't know. But it costs next to nothing to spray them and takes just a second, so I'm not about to change my ways.

m657

Buckeye
...which kind of silicon?

I recently tried to run some ammo tests for reliability in a 1953 Standard Ruger 22 and a marvelous High Standard Citation. Neither had any feeding issues last summer & fall....but the temp at the range was sitting at 34 degrees, and none of a 1/2 dozen brands of my 22 ammo would function well. It was rather like slow-slide issues, but most of the lead bullets felt rather sticky.

I resorted to 22 revolver for a while but it was too cold to continue.

I'll be back if the range hits closer to 60 anytime soon, for some further function tests.

I don't know whether I need 'more slick' or 'less sticky' at this point.

But I do want to try the silicon spray trick.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
m657 said:
...which kind of silicon?
I'm not certain what brand I'm using now or which one I started with. It just seemed like a good idea at the time, so I grabbed the can off the shelf in my shop. It's the same stuff I spray on my car door hinges to keep them from squeaking. When that can ran dry I picked up another at a local auto parts store. I just asked where the "silicone spray" was, the clerk pointed, and I bought a can.

The sprayed cartridges dry immediately. There's absolutely no residue of any kind. They stay slippery enough to make them kind of hard to handle. I can live with that. I have two .22 revolvers, four semi-auto .22 handguns, and three .22 rifles. These silicone-sprayed Blazers work perfectly in all of them.

BTW, I usually give the breech area on the .22 autos and my centerfire autos a quick shot. I believe it makes it more difficult for soot to get a foothold, so cleaning seems easier. Whatever, it doesn't hurt anything. However, I don't rely on it for lubrication.

I shoot more than 10,000 rounds of .22 ammo a year. At the amount I spray on the cartridges a can of silicone spray should last for years if I don't waste any on squeaky hinges.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I was given a carton of Blazers (had never shot them before) and had perfect functioning and good accuracy in my 1974 Ruger Standard Auto. I was pleasantly surprised.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
"Ammo choice is limited to something readily available at WalMart"

I was hoping to see a chrono of the Federal 525 bulk pack 22's from Wally's for comparison. :)
They run with as near 100% reliability as I get with anything else in my MKII or MKIII 22/45.
Sal

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Unfortunately, I did not have any of the Federal Bulks with me. I am heading back out to the range this weekend and if I have a chance I will try to run them through the chrono.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
VAdoublegunner said:
Unfortunately, I did not have any of the Federal Bulks with me. I am heading back out to the range this weekend and if I have a chance I will try to run them through the chrono.

KOOL
TIA
Sal

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
ranger1 said:
Sal1950 said:

Sal

You can't buy ammo anywhere besides Walmart in your area?

That's unbelievable!

I can get about anything, we have 7 pretty good gun shops (and I don't even count Bass Pro or Gander Mountain as good) and a couple of Dicks sporting goods within a half hour or less, and a gun show about every other month.

But they live in a very small town where that is about it for what is easily available. Thus, the limitations. I can't think of anything more exotic I would choose otherwise over the MiniMag or Velocitor anyway.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
ranger1 said:
Sal1950 said:

Sal

You can't buy ammo anywhere besides Walmart in your area?

That's unbelievable!

Personally I reload all my ammo, except rimfire. Which I buy at WalMart cause it's the cheapest around and only about 1 mile down the road..
Sal

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Sal1950 said:
"Ammo choice is limited to something readily available at WalMart"...
Check out the following link. This is where I buy my Blazers. They're $189.90 a case of 5,000 delivered to my door (out in the country). That's $19 a brick, no tax, no gas driving to the Sportsman's Warehouse 40 miles which is my closest source of Blazers. (Walmart is just 20 miles, but it doesn't carry Blazers.)

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-1357-cci-blazer-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose-bulk-ammunition.aspx

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Additional info to OP.
Same firearm, Temp=48F, wind 5-10mph behind.

Federal Bulk HP, 36 grain (reddish-brown box), new, 10 shots

Hi: 1117 fps
Low: 1050 fps
ES: 66
Avg: 1079 fps

(Repeat)

Hi: 1111
Lo: 1050 fps
ES: 56
Avg: 1083 fps

Had 3 feed issues out of 300 rounds, bullet nose catching on chamber rim.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
VAdoublegunner said:
Additional info to OP.
Same firearm, Temp=48F, wind 5-10mph behind.

Federal Bulk HP, 36 grain (reddish-brown box),

Had 3 feed issues out of 300 rounds, bullet nose catching on chamber rim.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that!
Not a lot of steam (fps) to them, but the ES is very respectable for such cheap ammo. Guess that's why they give a pretty good showing as a fairly accurate plinking load.
For the record they run darn near issue free in my MKII and MKIII 22/45. But I've got to admit my 22/45 isn't representative, it gave me some stove pipe issues OTB and got worse as the rounds added up. By about 7k I lost patience and installed a Volquartsen extractor and removed the LCI metal for good measure. Now she's a 100% just like my bone stock MKII.
Thanks again,
Sal