Ammo Sticker Shock!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I recently bought a Springfield Armory M1A .22 air rifle (LOVELY gun!), and in the short time I've owned it, I've become addicted to taking a few practice shots in the basement every day. The only .22 pellets I had on hand were some Daisy wadcutters, which I've been shooting. They shoot pretty good, but I don't want to run out, and I wanted to try some dome-nosed pellets, figuring they'd be easier to load (the thing is almost as involved to load as a black power gun). Last week Walmart didn't have any suitable pellets, and just about nowhere else around here carries them.

Found a gun shop in the area that does. Little rural shop I'd never been to before--I think it's fairly new. The place was PACKED with both customers and staff--there must have been 8 to 10 staff and about 30 customers. The parking lot was full. They had a LOT of guns on hand--dozens if not hundreds--of all kinds, rifles (including ARs), shotguns, handguns (including a brand new Python). Didn't check them all out but I'm sure I could have found something if I were in the market. Quite a bit of ammo on the shelves too, but high prices ($37 for a box of 50 9mm cheap ball).

Anyway, they had a good selection of .22 pellets including the dome-tips I wanted. $15 for 500! :shock: Yikes, that's 3c a shot for a pellet gun! Last time I was stocking up on .22LR ammo I was only paying around 2c a round for that--boy am I glad I bought a bunch of THAT back then.

Oh well, I guess 3c a shot is about as good as you can do for anything these days. The rifle is fun to shoot, anyway. I hope these Crosman domes shoot well. :?

eveled

Hunter
Oh my. That’s sounds fun. This gun wasn’t even in my radar now I realize I need one. Anything I need to know before I order one?

Snake45

Hawkeye
eveled said:
Oh my. That’s sounds fun. This gun wasn’t even in my radar now I realize I need one. Anything I need to know before I order one?
Be sure you have plenty of ammo on hand. They come in both .22 and .177. I got the .22 (as I said).

Oh, and I'd order it soon. There are now about three other airguns I'm trying to buy and all of them are sold out everywhere. But most places that sell them seem to still have this one. Surely that can't last.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I just looked on Amazon and the price difference between .177 and .22 is
astonishing! :shock: - - - .22 are right at THREE times the cost of .177s. :shock:

I'm glad I stuck with .177s.

Looks like your .22 pellets will run you quite a bit.

Snake . . . .
Is this the one you have (except for .22) and does it reflect what you have?
https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/springfield-armory-m1a-air-rifle-test-review-177-caliber/

If so, I think I'll try for one in .177. :wink:
Looks like FUN!

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
Snake . . . .
Is this the one you have (except for .22) and does it reflect what you have?
https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/springfield-armory-m1a-air-rifle-test-review-177-caliber/

If so, I think I'll try for one in .177. :wink:
Looks like FUN!
Yes, that's the one. That's a very honest and accurate review except for one thing: The rear sight is metal, not plastic as stated. The front sight is plastic but I don't find this matters at all. The rear sight metal is very HARD and this is important because the aperture is very small (National Match spec?) and not the GI spec diameter like my M1, M1 Carbine and Colt SP1. I opened up that hole with a mini-rat tail file to the same diameter as the one on my Inland carbine, and it took me about an hour of filing.

Let us know how the .177 works for you. I suspect that after you try hitting that tiny .177 hole in the restricted loading space, you'll at least wonder if the .22 might not have been easier to load. I suspect it is. :wink: I don't regret buying the .22 at all.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Snake45 said:
Let us know how the .177 works for you.
THANKS! And will-do. :wink:
This may take a while.
Found several places with .22 in stock. ZERO with .177 in stock.
I signed up for the "notify me when . . . ", so I'll see when that happens.
(they say it is over due as of today - sigh)

Snake45

Hawkeye
6GUNSONLY said:
You think ammo is expensive, try buying some lumber right now. I need to build a deck and front porch on our new place and I'm looking at a $25k job (by a small contractor I've used before who is more than fair on his prices).
01F5G3DE3MXRY52CD8M5PE2JHV.jpeg

chuck

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
6GUNSONLY said:
You think ammo is expensive, try buying some lumber right now. I need to build a deck and front porch on our new place and I'm looking at a $25k job (by a small contractor I've used before who is more than fair on his prices).
01F5G3DE3MXRY52CD8M5PE2JHV.jpeg
My neighbor works at a mill in eastern Oregon, he said that the profit for the month of April that the mill made more profit in that month than they did all last year.

EVILDOCTOR235

Single-Sixer
My guess if a house / building supply costs have gone up, then the valve of said property goes up and property taxes will also go up. Thanks Joe. I guess everything that goes up in price also means higher sales tax. Workers get raise and pay more income taxes.

EvilDr235

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Been a Carpenter for many years seen several major price hikes for materials!
Lumber is crazy price right know! A guy I work with has two Summer homes to build
on a nearby lake. I have a feeling they will not happen, due to prices, he bid the jobs a year ago!
Be honest I really do not care almost 70 now!
Workers get a Raise LMAO no way! ps

rimmer

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
Been a Carpenter for many years seen several major price hikes for materials!
Lumber is crazy price right know! A guy I work with has two Summer homes to build
on a nearby lake. I have a feeling they will not happen, due to prices, he bid the jobs a year ago!
Be honest I really do not care almost 70 now!
Workers get a Raise LMAO no way! ps

I've been a contractor for 49 years and have never seen the likes of this crazy economy.
This mess were in cannot keep going on.

Snake45

Hawkeye
EVILDOCTOR235 said:
My guess if a house / building supply costs have gone up, then the valve of said property goes up and property taxes will also go up. Thanks Joe. I guess everything that goes up in price also means higher sales tax. Workers get raise and pay more income taxes.

EvilDr235
And don't forget corporate income tax, which biden wants to raise. Corporations don't pay these, they just collect them--they pass them on to YOU in the form of higher prices, and you never think about it being a tax on you. Trickle-down taxation! :evil:

Latest posts