Ammo question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
Bulk 22 ammo- the good the bad and the ugly. A local store has weekly sales of bulk ammo. Some I know some I don't what are your experiences?

This what they usually have
Remington buckets, Blazer, Federal white box, Armscor, Aguila, Winchester. I think maybe some others, but they don't come to mind.

The Federals shoot well and when on sale are $17 a box (525)
WW are nice but rarely below $20
Remington I loved the golden bullet in the 80's, not so much now.
What Aguila I have shot was good, but never their standard 22's.
I would think Blazer would be good being CCI but no experience. (also $17 when on sale)
Armscorp and anything is unkown to me. (in bulk types)

That's what I know or used to know, can you help update my knowledge base?

Dan in MI said:
Bulk 22 ammo- the good the bad and the ugly. A local store has weekly sales of bulk ammo. Some I know some I don't what are your experiences?

This what they usually have
Remington buckets, Blazer, Federal white box, Armscor, Aguila, Winchester. I think maybe some others, but they don't come to mind.

The Federals shoot well and when on sale are $17 a box (525)
WW are nice but rarely below $20
Remington I loved the golden bullet in the 80's, not so much now.
What Aguila I have shot was good, but never their standard 22's.
I would think Blazer would be good being CCI but no experience. (also $17 when on sale)
Armscorp and anything is unkown to me. (in bulk types)

That's what I know or used to know, can you help update my knowledge base?

I've found as much or more difference between batches and lots of the same stuff as I have between brands.

CCI Mini Mags...Not the stuff dreams used to be made of. I'm finding very mediocre accuracy with newer production.

Remington Golden Bullets? They shoot okay, but I get more per capita misfires with this stuff than any other brand.

Winchester White and M-22 They shoot really well, and no misfire issues.

Winchester Red (plastic) Box... I have difficulties with misfires and poor accuracy with this stuff, in spite of it being an upgrade from the generic white box stuff. What could possibly make this stuff inferior to their cheaper ammo? Again, maybe just bad batches of what otherwise could be decent ammo.

Aguila? They shoot fine, but they all have a peculiar odor, unique to only Aguila. Makes me wonder what I'm breathing.

Federal? It all shoots well.

American Eagle...Lots of misfires.

Blazer and Thunderbolt...A little dirtier than plated bullets, surprisingly I get very good results from both of these brands.

Wolf Target... A little more expensive, but it shoots very favorably against other target rounds costing far more.

Eley Match...You get what you pay for. It's expensive, but also unbelievable the extreme enhanced accuracy I receive when shooting this stuff out of any gun.

CCI Green Tag....What Mini Mags used to be. It doesn't compare to Eley, or even to Wolf.

Everybody has their own favorites, and personal results vary for many reasons.

I buy and shoot a lot of rimfire ammo, and I believe my reviews are accurate to only my experiences.. But I also know the next guy might have results completely opposite than mine, and I will believe and respect those findings also.

.22 rimfire results are fickle.

wwb

Hunter
As has been stated approximately 7 million times on this forum, you have to shoot 'em all to find out what your rifle likes. And, as has also been mentioned, a different lot of the same brand may not perform the same.

What works best in mine won't necessarily work worth a darn in yours. For the record, Eley Match is the absolute best in my built-up 10/22, but CCI Blazer is the best of the cheap stuff, followed closely by Federal "Automatch". My son, on the other hand, has one of those carbon-fiber supported thin stainless barrels, and the Winchester 333/555 works the best of the cheap stuff for him, whereas Blazer is one of the worst.

In my T678 Mark II, the Federal 37 grain hollowpoints are the best of the cheap stuff, but that's at 25 yards.... it would be a fool's mission for me to assess the accuracy at 100 yards without a Ransom rest.

hittman

Staff member
My guns all shoot and cycle Federal, Winchester White and M-22 without fail.

If I can't buy one of those 3 I wait until they're in stock.

You couldn't pay me to take Remington Thunderbolts.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Thanks. I'm not really looking at super accurate. I have high dollar ammo for that. I'm looking for reliable low cost blasting ammo that is reasonably accurate. Low cost volume that is perfect for lazy blasting days, group outings and teaching beginners.

Dan in MI said:
Thanks. I'm not really looking at super accurate. I have high dollar ammo for that. I'm looking for reliable low cost blasting ammo that is reasonably accurate. Low cost volume that is perfect for lazy blasting days, group outings and teaching beginners.

Then it doesn't matter. Buy what's on sale.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I've shot Blazers out of my Mark I, Mark II, SR22's, 10/22 and Single Sixes without any issues in any of those firearms. I'm talking a thousand or more rounds total and they're just as accurate as the more expensive ammo, at least in my guns.

Every gun is a revelation.
I don't buy Remington any more. Blazer is good in some guns but really poor in others. Federal AutoMatch seems to shoot well in a variety of guns(both long and short). Federal HVHP is my choice for hunting and does well in both 10-22 and 22/45.
I use 3 brands of sub-sonic 22 ammo- Aguila, CCI, and RWS. My suppressed guns seem to be a bit picky about ammo but Aguila and RWS are both equally accurate in 3 of 5 while CCI is super accurate in the other 2.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
WAYNO,
You should be getting the same odor from shooting Eley as shooting Aguila. It's the Eley priming that they both use. I've never had a dud with either brand and accuracy with Eley and Aguila Standard Velocity has always been above average out of my .22's. The funkiest odor I get shooting is from reloads using Trail Boss. It always smells to me like emptying the cat's litter box.

Best Regards,
ADP3