ammo or p95???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
hello all, its been awhile since i posted thought i would give yall a question i need anwered and don't know what to do. i have got two p95's i bought a few months ago, i have fired one and keeping the other as stand in if my other 95 goes bad for some reason. well my wife has been saving and surprised me with $300, and i have bit of a problem. i only have 125 rds of hollowpoint ammo and 40 rds of fmj, and my local shop has p95's on sale $290 otd for blue and $320 otd for stainless. so should i buy ammo now and wait about another 6 months for a gun?, or get the gun on sale and wait on shooting? thanks for any help.

Mike J

Hunter
I agree with Keith-shoot, practice, train. Skill is more important than another gun.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
If either P95 is a DC model buy it. You will soon get a profit for DC any P series pistol.

They don't make them any more and one would be foolish to sell one for the standard price of a P95 PR.

imho

tk

Buy your wife the P95, especially if it is a decocker. If the money was a true gift then purchase something to remember the gift by. If you buy ammo with it, it will be gone before you know if.... 9mm ammo is not that hard to come by these days....

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
New guns are always fun and those are excellent prices. Looking for my 3rd P95 too.

Buy the cheap Walmart ammo--save the brass and take up reloading after you get your gun.

Although my first reaction would be: you should buy ammo, that would be wrong. Buy another P95, or another gun that you want. The reason I say this is based on the fact that my wife would notice extra guns in the safe long before she'd inventory my ammo. +/- 1000 rounds of 9mm it looks about the same to her, but extra guns = mad wife!

But that may only happen in my household.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
boomer92266":2nhte1zh said:
hello all, its been awhile since i posted thought i would give yall a question i need anwered and don't know what to do. i have got two p95's i bought a few months ago, i have fired one and keeping the other as stand in if my other 95 goes bad for some reason. well my wife has been saving and surprised me with $300, and i have bit of a problem. i only have 125 rds of hollowpoint ammo and 40 rds of fmj, and my local shop has p95's on sale $290 otd for blue and $320 otd for stainless. so should i buy ammo now and wait about another 6 months for a gun?, or get the gun on sale and wait on shooting? thanks for any help.

This is a very nice situation to have. I am very glad for you. It sounds like your wife is "a keeper".

With the economy the way it is now and college tuition to pay, I do not have the gun or ammo money at the present time that I one time did. I just open my safe and pick one up, check it to be clear and safe, handle it for a few minutes, reload it, put it back in the safe and be glad that I have not had to sell any guns yet. I do not intend to sound like I am crying though. Things could be so much worse. There are people who are losing their jobs, their homes, not eating when they are hungry, not staying warm in this cold weather. Presently, I am not among those and have a lot to be thankful for.

Congrats!! Read through all the opinions then make your decision and don't look back. It is, after all, your money and your decision. Enjoy!!!!!

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i bought extra mags and ammo, after i checked the net and the shops as well as wal-mart. seems that just about all 9mm ammo available is fmj, with very little hollow points. i haven't bought any in about 6-8months, i have to save here and there to get what i can. while i like fmj for practice i don't shoot alot so i would rather have hollow points. i shoot about 20 rds. per month i finally found some wwb hollow points at wal-mart for $18.00 for 50 rds, i bought the three boxes they had. i order some mags as well, and got some more ammo on backorder from the net. i finally bought me a fobus holster as well, thanks for all the help.

revhigh

Hawkeye
boomer92266":2ihxxgqv said:
I have got two p95's.

Should I buy ammo now and wait about another 6 months for a gun?, or get the gun on sale and wait on shooting? thanks for any help.

First of all ... why in the world would you want THREE P95's ? That is just downright silly. You don't need a gun 'in reserve'. Guns are meant to be shot, not kept 'in reserve'. Shoot the ones you have ... extensively ... all of them ... and don't worry about wearing them out ... you can't.

Second ... forget buying ammo, or ANOTHER P95 ... buy reloading equipment ... I can't believe nobody before me recommended that ... you can use the $300 for something that goes away immediately and forever (like ammo), or you can use it for something that continues to contribute to your shooting abilities forever, paying for itself in short order by allowing you to shoot far more for less money.

REV

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i thought about reloading, but after i went to my local gun shop and figured what a box of ammo would cost to reload i wasn't saving about $3 on 50 rds from what a box of ammo would cost from factory. now if i shot a lot then the savings would be worth it, but i shoot 20 rounds or less a month cause i don't have the money to shoot more. if i reloaded i would have to save awhile to be able to get the powder, primers, and bullets i would need to reload. but can get a $15-$20 box most months, my wife had been saving almost a year to surprise me with that 300. i found some hollow points on the net for $11.99 for 50 rds. if prices ever get better for the reloading stuff and i can save more then i might try it. thanks

revhigh

Hawkeye
Fair enough Boomer, but take a look at some numbers.

125 grain 9MM bullets from Mastercast = $49/1000

Primers = about $30/1000

Powder = about $15/1000

So .... 1000 9mm rounds is about $94 if you have the brass (which is cheap). That's about $4.70 per box .... quite a savings over your $15-20 per box. If we assume $15 per box, that's a $200 savings in your first $1000 rounds. Hmmmm .... almost paid for the equipment already ..... Shoot 3000 rounds, and you've saved $600. YOu sure can buy a lot of reloading gear for $600.

I'd still think about it. :D

REV

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I own three P95s! Why, because I buy guns so that my kids and grandchildren can have guns if there is a ban in the future.