Ammo choices for the Mini-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
In anticipation of getting a decent 20 round mag from Ruger......

I have fired various brass-cased ammo (including some nice Corbon ballistic tips, some Remington SPs, and some Hansen Cartridge Co made by IMI) without difficulty, but get tons of no-goes with Wolf and Bear products which I can actually afford to shoot. All the info I've read indicates that it's because of the hard primers -

If this might really be the case, are there any of the "cheap" ammo brands (steel cases) that might work better?

BTW, I have a full bandoleer of original Chinese ammo, case and brass both copper colored, with the headstamp 31 above and 92 below, which I've been afraid to use because I figured it might be corrosive.

Thanks!
Tom

sethwyo

Bearcat
i have fired hundreds of wolf rounds in my 30. sometimes i get one that dont go off because the steel primers are too hard for the weak hammer in the mini30. but not very often, only a few out of a hundred.

there was some 'military classic' that was so hard half of them wouldnt go the first time.

this problem has been solved however do to complaints from the american consumer, and the recent production should not be too hard.

iv been using the 'hot shot' brand and have not had a single nogo.

lctrcjim

Bearcat
Tom, strictly for what it's worth, my mini 30 LOVES Fiocchi ammo. It's a little more expensive than Wolf, but about half the price of most American brands - I've found it for less than $10/20 round box. Not knowing any better, I bought several boxes of Wolf Military Classic & Golden Tiger when I bought my mini. I had 2-3 FTF per box with the Wolf and honest to goodness 50% FTF with the Golden Tiger..................and man, do they ever stink up the joint. Just nasty, dirty, smelly junk.

The Fiocchi seems to burn cleaner and shoots every bit as straight as the more expensive Winchester & Remington I've used.

I believe you can shoot anything in the mini-30... Ruger's disclaimer of not shooting evil commie ammo is just that a lawyer disclaimer that gets them off the hook just in case.

If you can afford the good stuff then so be it. I'd try and hold off on the chinese stuff unless TSHTF. The only real difficulty with the corrosive stuff is you have to be sure and clean the rifle well after shooting it. I think I've got close to 2 thousand rounds of it around here... I gave one box of probably 600 to a friend to shoot in his AK.