Ammo can gun case ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I came across some company that sells inserts for ammo boxes to hold either magazines and/or pistols.

Then I went to Amazon and see (now saw) that they sell them on Amazon. Same company.

I ordered one for magazines. It takes one of the 50 caliber ammo boxes and has spaces for 24 magazines.

Then I also ordered an insert for the thinner 30 caliber ammo box that holds a pistol and two magazines.

Has anyone else tried these? Or have invented their own ammo can storage system?

Most of the ammo boxes I have came from my dad. He had a lot of them. We always used them for camera cases. Back then we just glued foam into the ammo can. Which worked very well.

...Has anyone else tried these? Or have invented their own ammo can storage system?...

IIRC, one of the guys over on The FAL Files forum came up with a home-made version years ago, that he made out of cardboard. He cut the cardboard into two batches of strips (one the length and the other the width of an ammo box interior), then cut them halfway through vertically where they crossed, so they would form a grid the right size for holding FAL mags. Seemed to be popular with folks who liked to keep a whole bunch of loaded mags on hand.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, etc.
:)

hittman

Staff member
I see them in stores around here a lot. Don't seem to sell well here.
I see both 30 and 50 cal plastic cans with a foam insert with slots to stick the mags in.

I see them in stores around here a lot. Don't seem to sell well here.
I see both 30 and 50 cal plastic cans with a foam insert with slots to stick the mags in.
I wonder why they don't sell very well?

@the_leper_colony I like the cardboard idea. Thanks!

Magazines just so crazy expensive these days, I'm just trying to keep them in good condition.

hittman

Staff member
The guys I know rarely keep mags loaded, store them in their safe and carry them to the range in their range bag. I'm sure there must be some around here who use them ….. just nobody I know.

Before the factory caught on fire I bought most of my ammo in bulk from Georgia Arms... this is remanufactured ammo from spent cases they buy from Military and LEO ranges... never had a problem with the ammo and it comes loose in either a 30cal ammo can or the last time I bought some a 50cal can. I'm hoping they will be at the up coming gun show here in town in two weeks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just remember,, any metal object stored in any container with foam,,, is subject to condensation then rust. This is why we don't keep firearms stored in foam gun rugs etc.

Storing magazines in a safe with a dehumidifier in place will keep them nice. If concerns are about rubbing or falling damage,, then any container that doesn't hold moisture is good.
I use Plano plastic boxes,, and put those moisture absorbing packets in each one. That, stuck in the safe works quite well.

I keep my magazines loaded and in various cases. The trick is to not seal any moisture inside
IMG_4619.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg

I make trays to use ammo cans as tool boxes
IMG_4503.jpeg
IMG_4505.jpeg

There are multiple trays stacked on each other.

four years ago when I was released from the hospital after having the big one I was prescribed a LOT of drugs and for a while when I went to my heart doctor and also the drug program I was on I would take all my RXs in a 30 cal ammo can. My wife did not like this she said it would make people nervous ... and so I took some white tape and a sharpie and wrote "Blume's Meds" on both sides of the box.... she still was not real happy about it and so we had to carry it in a big cloth bag. Now I'm down to a lot less meds and I discovered at a gun show a year or two back a smaller plastic ammo can and I have several of these:
IMG_7280.jpeg

Years ago I modified a couple of .50 cal. ammo cans by drilling holes in the can and a slot opening on the handle so as to be able to pass a large U bolt through the opening handle. With that done, a padlock was put through the U bolt and the can thus was a locked steel container. A large Eye Bolt would work as well. For States that require unattended guns to be secured, this works. Use a good combination lock like the Sesame and you need not bother with hiding keys. Try not to forget the combination(s).

Just remember,, any metal object stored in any container with foam,,, is subject to condensation then rust. This is why we don't keep firearms stored in foam gun rugs etc.
Thanks, I did not know this.

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks!