American Rimfire has Expen$ive taste

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My RAR loves Eley Edge and Eley Match ammo. At $14-$18 per box of 50 this was a one time trial. With a Burris 2x7 scope I shot
some 4 shot groups that were .25" and .3" with the Match and .3" to .4" with the Edge. Here is the only group I shot at 100 yards. It was with the Match ammo. Center of my target was 6" above the bottom of the paper. They hit just below in the target I pasted mine over, so I cut out the group.
Other ammo I have tried went from very good to sucks. Stingers, Federal American Eagle, Remington sub-sonic, and Wolf fell into the "sucked" catagory.
It does OK with Norma Tac 22 (.75" @ 50), CCI Mini Mag (.5 to .7" @ 50), and Eley Target (.5 to .6" @ 50). Some bulk Winchester did about .8 to 1" @ 50.
I would like to try the Ely with a higher power target scope someday.

snf0pe.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Try Federal 510 Champions. They're relatively inexpensive, and shoot quite well in a number of guns (every CZ 452 I've ever heard of loves them, for some reason). My own CZ has shot several true 1" groups at 100 with them (I do not claim it will do it it EVERY time, but I think it would put four of the five shots inside one inch more often than not.) Not bad for ammo that doesn't cost a whole lot more than the cheapest bulk stuff.

And I have yet to see a gun that doesn't shoot well with CCI MiniMags or Winchester Dynapoints--if you can find either one these days.

Latest posts