American Hunter First Look new Ruger .454 and .480

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Ruger has finally listened to big bore revolver fans and is now offering a Bisley Super Blackhawk in the .454Casull and .480Ruger chamberings!!! Both guns will have five shot cylinders of Carpenter Custom 465 stainless steel with recessed case heads. They will have 6½" barrels and the long ejector from the 10" Super Blackhawk and Hunter models. They are a distributor special, only available only through Lipsey's. Read more about it below:

http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/8/9/first-look-480-ruger-and-454-casull-ruger-super-blackhawks/​

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanHunter?fref=ts

SBHb.jpg

Everything is a compromise... I really would prefer a 5.5" barrel... but that is way too close to a dream gun for me otherwise. Sign me up.

We really, really need to have a dealer here on Ruger Forums step up and carry these. Somebody that takes credit cards. Somebody step up and take my order!!

Thank you Ruger. And Lipsey's of course. Good job!

Gregg

tulsamal said:
Everything is a compromise... I really would prefer a 5.5" barrel... but that is way too close to a dream gun for me otherwise. Sign me up.

We really, really need to have a dealer here on Ruger Forums step up and carry these. Somebody that takes credit cards. Somebody step up and take my order!!

Thank you Ruger. And Lipsey's of course. Good job!

Gregg
Jason, Jason, are you here? :). It seems to be a handloader's dream come true. In .480 of course. JMO 8) our own MaxP did the write up :D
gramps

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Ruger could have gone the easy route and simply done a 5-shot Super Blackhawk that blended into their standard line up, but I'm really happy to see that they went big on this one!

Five shot cylinder with recessed chambers (enclosed rims) and a 5" ejector system, let alone sticking a Bisley gripframe on it -It's a Super Blackhawk, but it's everything that a Super Blackhawk should have been from the beginning!

98Redline

Blackhawk
They kept the same diameter cylinder as the Super Blackhawk so they probably had to go to 5 as a 6 shooter would have left the chamber walls too thin.

Super Blackhawk: 1.730"
Super Redhawk: 1.781"

MaxP

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
How's the hand doing. 5000 rounds of 480??? What time period?

Roughly a month's time. Typical sessions were 300 + round affairs. :mrgreen:

Arisin' Wind said:
I wonder why they went with a five shot cylinder instead of six like the Super Redhawk.

Going to a five-shot cylinder allows the bolt notches to fall between the chambers, not directly over them. This is a big consideration.

:)

One of my gun friends is already talking about getting one of each. I tried to convince him that .480 was the way to go but he had some arguments in favor of .454. Which got me thinking... I really prefer the .480 and that's what I want... but I really would like a 5.5" barrel. So maybe I should think about both as well. Get the .454 now with the 6.5" barrel, then buy the 5.5" .480 when that comes out. Would be easy to tell them apart at a glance. The .480 doesn't need the longer barrel to do its thing, the .454 really does. Hmmmm... but what if they never introduce a 5.5" .480 and they sell out and don't make more??

I don't really think that will happen. I think this is going to be a huge demand item. I would truly be shocked if boxes and boxes of these sat around at the Lipsey's warehouse. More likely they will sell out fast and have to make more. Maybe they will be so popular that Ruger will actually make them regular production like they did with the .44 Specials?

Yeah, it's a question all right.

True, the .454 will accept .45 Colt ammo, but you could just as easily load .454 brass to approximate the Colt loads.

I kinda like the .480 for just about everything, but I guess if you want the mostest boom for yer money you'd hafta go with the .454.

You can argue it either way. The point is, Ruger has made these choices available now.

:)

G2

Hunter
tulsamal said:
One of my gun friends is already talking about getting one of each. I tried to convince him that .480 was the way to go but he had some arguments in favor of .454. Which got me thinking... I really prefer the .480 and that's what I want... but I really would like a 5.5" barrel. So maybe I should think about both as well. Get the .454 now with the 6.5" barrel, then buy the 5.5" .480 when that comes out. Would be easy to tell them apart at a glance. The .480 doesn't need the longer barrel to do its thing, the .454 really does. Hmmmm... but what if they never introduce a 5.5" .480 and they sell out and don't make more??

I don't really think that will happen. I think this is going to be a huge demand item. I would truly be shocked if boxes and boxes of these sat around at the Lipsey's warehouse. More likely they will sell out fast and have to make more. Maybe they will be so popular that Ruger will actually make them regular production like they did with the .44 Specials?

If you want a 5.5" just have it cut, it's a easy clean fix on stainless.

Huge demand item,
Maybe,,,
and so were the 3.6" bright stainless single six birdshead convertibles. You can find them, at a Huge premium. :wink:

Me, One of each ordered. :D

MaxP

Buckeye
You will need a shorter ejector rod housing if you want to cut it below six inches.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Question about 454 Bisley: what is rifling twist rate?

Jason, if you reading this; any chance of getting combo with 454 and 45 Colt cylinders? Also, it would be a nice to get 45 Colt cylinder fluted.