American 22 Mag Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've been thinking about an American .22 mag for a while. So my question is about barrel length. Is there any realistic advantage of the 22" barrel over the 18" barrel? The threaded muzzle is not a big issue to me but I do prefer stainless which is only available with the 18" barrel. I'm on the fence about the open sights which you get with the 22" barrel.

I have one of the 18" blued barrels with open sights and it is very accurate, kept it that way for quite a while but recently added a scope, I have other .22 mags with longer barrels don't see any practical differences .

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Agree with dobegrant. Have had my R/A compact in 22 mag. for 6 years now. Heard a 22 mag burns out the powder in 18-19 inches of barrel so I don't think you would lose much velocity. Plus I liked the idea of the 18 inch barrel for woods varmints. I loved that green fiber optic sight but eventually added the Vortex Crossfire 2 scope for shooting distance. The standard stock module gave me another 1 1/4 inch L.O.P. Accurate with the CCI 40 grain fodder. These guns are nice and light too especially the Compact model.

Cholo

Staff member
I wish that BBTI website tested barrels over 19", up to 24" would have been great. In most cases the velocity was still climbing at 19".

While not exactly on point and second hand information, I recall reading of a study done by Bullberry Barrels on the 17HMR. They started with a long Contender barrel and measured velocity as they cut an inch at a time from the barrel. What I remember is that the max velocity was at 19 inches and lowest spread at 18 inches! Of course the 22mag is different than the 17HMR so results may differ. Based on the study I looked for a Ruger American Rimfire in 17HMR of 18 inches. But I only found the 22 inch version and bought that. I have not gotten around to getting it cut down yet. My choice for 22mag if I get around to buying one will be an 18 inch RAR. Good luck with your decision.

Jerry
ps. I see that the original Bullberry has gone into retirement but I did find this: https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/17-hmr-velocity-data
1674840447883.png

In my work in computer performance studies, a wise man once said: Never argue with measured data!

wproct

Single-Sixer
When I bought my American in .22 magnum I really wanted the 18 inch bbl, and they had one of each at the gunshow, but the one with the 22 inch bbl was fitted to the the stock a lot better so that's the one I took. I never thought the difference in accuracy or ballistics would be worth worrying about as long as being used with a scope.