Ambidextrous safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blizzard

Bearcat
I am a lefty and wonder why the safety lever on the right side does not have a red mark and a white dot like the left side. Seems strange that they didn't go all the way with the second safety lever.

I love this gun. So far about 100 rounds and not a problem !

jhearne

Buckeye
SR9? Though I know that most, if not all, "Safety" P-Series also don't have the dots on the right side.

IMHO, I'd chalk this up to a saved step in painting dots vs the number of lefties that shoot southpaw. Some safety levers work inversely in comparison, but of all the one's I've seen, down is fire, up is safe. An experienced shooter won't need the dots after a few days or weeks with a gun, it's all feel for them. I know that after I draw, the safety is pushed down on my drills I used to practice with my SR9.

I'm a lefty, but shoot righty. Though I am not a terrible southpaw shooter.

Josh

aaronrb204

Bearcat
jhearne":3ecrjaul said:
SR9? Though I know that most, if not all, "Safety" P-Series also don't have the dots on the right side.

IMHO, I'd chalk this up to a saved step in painting dots vs the number of lefties that shoot southpaw. Some safety levers work inversely in comparison, but of all the one's I've seen, down is fire, up is safe. An experienced shooter won't need the dots after a few days or weeks with a gun, it's all feel for them. I know that after I draw, the safety is pushed down on my drills I used to practice with my SR9.

Josh

The down fire up safe is only valid for frame mounted safeties. If slide mounted it is the inverse. Honestly I can't think of any pistol that has the right side labeled in any way.

jhearne

Buckeye
aaronrb204":1gj1ijml said:
jhearne":1gj1ijml said:

Josh

The down fire up safe is only valid for frame mounted safeties. If slide mounted it is the inverse. Honestly I can't think of any pistol that has the right side labeled in any way.

Thanks for the correction, I couldn't remember without checking a website if the P series and other slide mounted safeties were inverse, now I know :).

Josh

george preston

Single-Sixer
[/quote]The down fire up safe is only valid for frame mounted safeties. If slide mounted it is the inverse. Honestly I can't think of any pistol that has the right side labeled in any way.[/quote]

I'm about 95% sure the M-9 Beretta is marked on both sides. It's been a few years since I carried one though