Amazon vs Walmart

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Ya know buckaroo ….. here’s another thread you should just excuse yourself from ….. one recent common denominator when a thread goes off the rails; you’ve been involved. Your negativity is suffocating and inserting politics into threads in Lounge and others isn’t welcome.

Berkshire Hathaway has all but abandoned its stake in the world's largest retailer. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway is falling out of love with Walmart Stores. It sold the majority of its holdings in the world's largest retailer last year. Buffett trimmed his Walmart holdings to 1.4 million shares from 13 million at the end of September. With an ownership stake of just 0.05%, Berkshire is no longer a major shareholder in Walmart

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Thinking about an alternative to Amazon, because of their unwavering support of progressive politicians, I went to walmart.com and looked up the last three items that I had ordered from Amazon, all in the last few days. Walmart was 25-30% higher in price, and listed the items as 3 day shipping (with Amazon Prime I routinely get items in two days, and sometimes quicker). So it looks like Walmart is not a viable alternative. Is there anyone else out there that can be an option instead of Amazon?
I try to do the same, but Walmart is progressive also. Banks/Wall Street wont loan money/bond unless a company is progressive. I work for a large electric utility. Its all ab about inclusion, environmental justice, equity and now trans. They actually promoted the movie "Momma has a Mustache":, which is being used to groom children. I have attempted to voice my concerns and my comments are being censored.

Etsy lets you buy from individual companies, that is a start.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Check closely when looking at any item on Amazon.... there is almost always a "country of origin" line in there. Sometimes, there is no option other than China, but I'll spend a bit more if there is a non-Chinese option, even if it's not "Made in USA".
If I do not see the country of origin I ask on the Questions section before I buy. Yes it does help!

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
Below is a link to an article that discloses the Berkshire Hathaway (BH) portfolio of public companies as of mid-2022. Some of those are owned 100% by BH, others owned in much smaller percentages.

That article does not, however, divulge BH's portfolio of privately owned companies. For example, BH bought Van Tuyl's 81 auto dealerships in 2015. There are others.

xtratoy

Buckeye
I've found you can find stuff as cheaper or cheaper on Walmart.com + free shipping. Not always but a lot of the time. And you don't have to pay for a Prime subscription to get the free shipping at Walmart.

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
Amazon is simply following the late 1990s migratory formula employed by Walmart.

Start by selling US-made, average quality goods to Walmart's target market: middle- to low-income families. Then migrate to lower cost, lesser quality products, which will attract additional customers while losing few existing ones. Then acquire the manufacturers of those lower cost products and sell those brands to the virtual exclusion of other brands. Then outsource the manufacture of those lower cost products to offshore companies and shut down the US companies. This strategy gutted much of small business America.

And that is precisely what Amazon has been doing.

Today, you might be able to find average to above-average quality products on Amazon's website, but they are co-mingled with cheap Amazon-branded junk and rarely listed as the "first in line" presented choice.

As CFO of a $300 million (revenue) consumer products company in the 1990s, I watched as Walmart executed that strategy on competitors who operated in my company's product category. Companies wanted to sell to Walmart to take advantage of Walmart's national distribution channel. Soon enough, however, Walmart began to exact pricing pressure on those companies - like a boa constrictor slowly strangling its prey. The companies - now hooked on Walmart's substantial sales volume - were powerless to resist Walmart's pressure. Game over.

I always warn my friends that doing business with Walmart is like becoming addicted to heroin...initially gratifying but ultimately deadly.

ronto

Buckeye
I use walmart.com, amazon.com and target.com. I always wait until my order is $35+ for free shipping. I'm not that concerned about shipping taking a few days longer. If you use the Target Red Card credit card on target.com you get 5% off your total order.

dstegjas

Bearcat
I always warn my friends that doing business with Walmart is like becoming addicted to heroin...initially gratifying but ultimately deadly.

That is an excellent analogy. I’m sure many other stores have used the same philosophy in doing business. However Walmart certainly appears to be the master at it.

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
We use both, usually depending cost, one huge WM bonus is things can be returned in person to a Wal-Mart store.
We have items being shipped from both as I write this

WV460hunter

Bearcat
Target?

But! Does Wal Mart endorse the politicians you like? That’s a fair question, because regardless of which company any of us buy from, there is going to be some aspect of that company we don’t care for.

Actually though, if Amazon builds some brick and mortar stores, they will have to raise prices to support those stores.
Target is out of the question for me . When I was an LEO they would not support Law enforcement fund raisers in any way but they will support liberal causes. As stated Wal-Mart has always been liberal leaning. So I my suggestion is to buy mom and pop and (which yes I know is more) but I feel better about myself. And I am a Frontline Defender in the National Association for Gun Rights and I am satisfied that way. Just my Humble opinion.

jkingrph

Bearcat
Given a choice I will buy American. Recently I had to buy a new laptop, try finding a good American made one. I got a high end Lenovo, made in china. iPhones, iPads, china. A while back I needed a spark plug gauge, parts store had china made less than a dollar, Canadian made about $1.50, I went Canada, although they looked the same.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Amazon is simply following the late 1990s migratory formula employed by Walmart.
I worked for a Manufacturers Representative firm from 77- 97 , founded by a man who had been dealing with Wal-Mart 4 years earlier. For the first few years it was difficult to get some companies to sell Wal-Mart. They had less than 200 stores in 77.
TG&Y , OTASCO, Howard Brothers, Gibson's and others were there competitors then, in the 4 states we sold, and all were driven out by Mr Sams relentless drive to lower costs and he succeeded. And from the time I spent in Wal-Mart stores it was very apparent small towns loved him. Small towns also didn't realize how WalMart could kill local retailers.
Companies that wouldn't sell Wal Mart in 1978 were lining up to sell them less than 10 years later.
Samething happened with Amazon from what I recall, I worked for another Rep firm , 99-2001, who had difficulty getting companies to sell Amazon.

Last edited:

Johnny-Baseball

Single-Sixer
txramfan...that's my recall also. By the late 80s or early 90s, Walmart had driven many mom-n-pop department stores and drug stores out of business in small towns. By the mid-90s Walmart had also bought out, then shut down those same small towns' manufacturers, leaving the populations of those towns no choice but to buy from Sam W.

The late 1980s was also about same time as Mitt Romney's Bain Consulting/Bain Capital were gutting US manufacturing companies by LBO'ing them, shutting them down and outsourcing the manufacturing to China, and bragging about it on their website. Small town America did not forget - this was one of the key reasons Romney got his butt kicked by Obama in the 2012 presidential election.

Here's a 2012 Daily Beast article about Romney and Bain: https://www.thedailybeast.com/bain-and-outsourcing

Here's another one - from CBS News - that is even more specific: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-was-romneys-role-at-bain-during-outsourcing/

I was a partner with one of the Big 8 accounting firms in the 80s-90s and we frequently encountered LBO transactions triggered by Romney. It was a sad affair every time.

Last edited:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
I use the capitol one shopping add on. It shows you if you have the best price or not. Most of the time Amazon has the best price.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
amazon wears out the roads, causing taxes to increase. gas isnt cheap either. boxing materials require more virgin forests to be cut.... which makes lumber co's have to replant un-natural harvest forests. guess who pays in the long run? ya know, i never lost an item in my shopping cart from the shelf, to the trunk, to the cupboard, because i was in charge of its delivery.
And Walmart doesn't? Or Target? Just came back from a trip (3K miles) around the SW. Saw lots of Walmart, Target, and Amazon trucks!

jdavis

Single-Sixer
Both companies have a left slant and are anti gun. In fact, my local Walmart has removed the gun counter an is now completely void of all gun and ammo related product. It is a matter of picking your poison.

Latest posts