Amazon Customers Beware

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got a phone call this morning. I didn't speak to him, he left a message on my machine. He said my Amazon account may have been compromised as someone tried to order an I Phone on my account. He then left me a phone number to call.

I called the number and spoke to another barely understandable Indian sounding guy. He said in order to block this type of thing in the future, I would have to fill out a form. He wanted me to go to Anydesk.com. Once there, he wanted me to download the program then set it up so he could give me the form to fill out.

I finally hung up on this clown and didn't do what he wanted with the Anydesk program. I immediately called Amazon direct and they said that was a total scam.

Anydesk, I guess is a real remote computer connection program. If you just go to Anydesk.com you will see it. The first thing it wants you to do is download the program. Of course you will not do it.

This is the first time I've had an actual human try a scam type thing on me. Of course, if you think about it, no company that you deal with is going to ask you to click on a link or give your personal account numbers. They already have all that. This is the first time I've had one of them try to get actual access to my computer. So, as I said BEWARE :!:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've had them try this on me three or four times. I've ordered from Amazon in the past, but I don't have an "Amazon account," so I hung up them immediately.

JFB

Hunter
I was able to "Press 1" and speak to the rep

I told him I had ordered that IPhone weeks ago and he better send me tracking NOW.

the hung up

Just three weeks ago, the Amazon scam was big news, even on this forum.

The scammers apparently figured everybody has forgotten, so they're trying again, to see how many more folks they can cheat.

This kind of stuff was a real problem with my Mother in Law. My wife told her, any and all calls, if she doesn't know who they are, say nothing and hang up.

Then she'd call us to tell us she received a call, and always questioned if she did the right thing by hanging up. Too often, she was convinced the call was legitimate, and she was fearful that some action was being taken against her by some government agency, utility, credit card company, collection agency, etc.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I've been getting emails that my order of $xxx is coming log in to xxx, or call, to finalize delivery. First thing I do is check Amazon, or Paypal, (it's been both) for any activity. No activity, no worries. Any activity and I'd go to the company directly and research from there.

NEVER call or log onto an unsolicited site/phone number. There was one scam recently where you call and they ask is this xxx? When you answer "Yes" they hang up. Then they use your voice print somewhere to start a scam account and rip you off.

Here is what to look for:
Identifying Whether an Email, Phone Call, Text Message, or Webpage is from Amazon
Here are some tips to determine if an email, phone call, text message, or webpage is not from Amazon.com.

If you received correspondence regarding an order you didn't place, it likely wasn't from Amazon.com. For more information, go to

Report a Phishing Email
The poster image

0:00 / 0:56
720p
Don't share any personal information and report it immediately.
Visit Report Suspicious Emails, Phone Calls, Text Messages, or Webpages for more information.

Additional Information About Emails, Text Messages, and Webpages
Don't open any attachments or click any links from suspicious emails or text messages. If you've already opened an attachment or clicked a suspicious link, go to Protect Your System.To increase the security of your account, we recommend enabling Two-Step Verification. For more information, see Enable Two-Step Verification.

Suspicious or fraudulent emails, text messages, or webpages not from Amazon.com may contain:

Links to websites that look like Amazon.com, but aren't Amazon.
Note: Legitimate Amazon websites have a dot before "amazon.com" such as http://"something".amazon.com. For example, Amazon Pay website is https://pay.amazon.com/. We'll never send emails with links to an IP address (string of numbers), such as http://123.456.789.123/amazon.com/. If the link takes you to a site that is not a legitimate amazon domain, then it is likely phishing.

An order confirmation for an item you didn't purchase or an attachment to an order confirmation.
Note: Go to Your Orders to see if there is an order that matches the details in the correspondence. If it doesn't match an order in Your Account in Amazon.com, or in another Amazon international website, the message isn't from Amazon.

Requests to update payment information that are not linked to an Amazon order you placed or an Amazon service you subscribed to.
Note: Go to Your Orders. If you aren't prompted to update your payment method on that screen, the message isn't from Amazon.

Attachments or prompts to install software on your device.
Typos or grammatical errors.
Forged email addresses to make it look like the email is coming from Amazon.com.
Important: Phone Calls
While some departments at Amazon will make outbound calls to customers, Amazon will never ask you to disclose or verify sensitive personal information, or offer you a refund you do not expect.

We recommend that you report any suspicious or fraudulent correspondence. Visit Report Suspicious Emails, Phone Calls, Text Messages, or Webpages for more information.

To learn about how to avoid payment scams, visit Avoiding Payment Scams.

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
My ancient Android identifies callers from my contacts list, or shows the number if it's not on the list. If I don't know 'em, I ain't picking up. If the call is of any importance they'll leave a message.
Scammers leave messages too; I always enjoy listening to their idiot hustles before deletion.

Jeff

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
sfhogman said:
My ancient Android identifies callers from my contacts list,
or shows the number if it's not on the list.
I use a variation on that.
ALL of the entries on my contact list have a unique ring tone.
Anyone NOT on my contact list get the old time RRRRRRing . . RRRRRRing.
Not on my acceptable list, NO answer.
(I've said this many times)

Any messages from people I do not know, are deleted. :wink:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
You answer phone calls ?

If you ain’t in my favorite list, you get to leave a voice mail after a 3 minute recording.

Plus I have a different ringtone for the five folks on the favorites list and my standard ringtone is called “silent” which I downloaded. So, it’s impossible to get through to me.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
If I get any emails or call from anyone that I have an account I sign into I ignore them. If I am ever concerned I sign in to my account on my own never go through a link or website I was directed to. Check your history and profile only takes a couple minutes.

Another tip with phone calls. I have to answer calls as a lot of medical related calls come from numbers I don't recognize. Scammers or telemarketers use a robocall system. You answer the phone then they connect the real person to you. So you can pick up however don't say a word. Computer needs to hear something to connect you to someone. More often than not within a few seconds call hangs up. If I get a real person talking before I do I find out if it is someone I need to talk to. If not I hangup. Would rather no answer at all. But too many calls I need to get don't leave a message and the number they call from means nothing to me.

mhblaw said:
Just hang up!

Better yet, why answer in the first place. I don't and I'm not plagued with spam calls at all.

Do people actually think other people are making those billion plus calls per month? Something of that scale could only be done through computer automation. Why would someone think there is another person on the other end of the phone line?

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Latest thing I received was a letter from “Medicare”. Seems the government want to give me a refund because I haven’t used all of last year’s benefits. All I need do is provide them with proof of my “Medicare number” and bank account number.

With all the subsidies the government has sent out, I can see some older folks buying into it. There’s got to be a special place in Hades for people that do this stuff.

RSIno1

Hunter
sfhogman said:
My ancient Android identifies callers from my contacts list, or shows the number if it's not on the list.....
My iPhone sends anyone not on my contacts direct to voice mail. Out of 20 calls maybe one actually leaves a message 1/2 are just dead air and the other in Chinese.

Latest posts