Amazon Again

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
1. Well, a couple of days ago I got up, staggered into the kitchen and went to open the refrigerator door. Silly me...the handle crumbled in my hand, leaving the door shut and me a little more awake.
After getting the thing open, I checked the little info tag on the interior, and got the model number. After phoning around, I found that those handles are not easily available, nor are they cheap...
Went up on Amazon, cross-referenced the part on their site, ordered it and had it within 2 days. For far less money.
Bolted it on and I'm good to go!

2. A week ago, I ordered prescription cat food for my little old buddy online, through my veterinarian. They say it'll ship tomorrow , then take a few days to get here. In frustration I went up onto Amazon, and there it was for the same price: this was four hours ago. They instantly emailed me and told me they would have to get the vet's okay for the first order. An hour later another email: the item has shipped and will be here today!

Incredible service.

Jeff

Cannot agree more, especially on the price. Amazon has all the same basic items that are available at Wal Mart, for the same price or less. I've just about stopped going to Wal Mart and other big box stores. Especially with the price of gasoline these days.

Just be careful, you know you can download a report to show you how much you've spent at Amazon. That isn't pretty.

I use Amazon a lot. I am 'mobility limited' and Walmart, Target and like stores are just too much hassle to go, then find a parking spot within my limited walking distance, find a mobility scooter (that actually works). I feel that I don't spend any more through Amazon than I would visiting a store.

Earlier today I received an order from Amazon (5- 38/357 50 round ammo containers (MTM brand). One of them had a corner broken (they came in a paper sack type container via UPS) so I went on to the site to do a return. Got everything done and it showed they were sending me 5 more as replacements. Went to chat to make sure I did what was needed to return just the one and get just one replacement. The person on the chat room checked everything, recinded the 5 replacements and asked if I wanted a replacement or refund. I said replacement and in a few minutes came back online and said the replacement would be sent and to dispose of the broken one however I wanted and to not send it back (it cost $2.79). I guess it would cost them more to have it sent back on their dime that it cost.

Last edited:

sfhogman

Buckeye
The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Something like that happened to me with a cast iron pan...it turned out to be different from their description. When I applied online for the return shipping label they told me that they had already issued a refund and to keep the pan.
My son loves it.
BTW, I highly recommend Victoria cast iron cookware. I find it to be nicer than Lodge, sadly.

Jeff

wolfsong

Staff member
This must be Amazon's day! Last week I ordered a a cold smoke box, a new thermometer and a couple of new handles for my offset smoker. They were delivered on Friday. Having a senior moment, I forgot about them and left all three boxes on my porch over the weekend, Yesterday I ordered some gasket material for the smoker with a promise of delivery today. Not 2 hours ago, the gasket arrived. Now, sometimes the delivery driver knocks once on the door (to let me know he was there, I guess) and shoots me an e-mail with a photo of the package on my porch as proof of delivery.

Today it was a little different. I was startled awake from a early afternoon nap by an incessant loud knocking on my door. WTH? Upon opening the door, I see the driver. Before I could say anything he said "Oh, good! I saw the packages I delivered last week were still here on the porch and I was afraid something might have happened to you. I just thought I'd check and see if you were okay." WOW! Blew me away! I assured him that I was indeed fine and very appreciative of his concern and thoughtfulness. I offered him a cold beverage - it was 101° - which he declined. He wished me a good day and left. Now that's PRIME service!

32shooter

Blackhawk
My daughter ordered a Blackstone griddle for her husband several weeks ago as an anniversary gift and had it shipped to our house. I arrived hope from work and found two of them setting in front of the garage. She contacted them and they said to keep it. She gave it to me. Nearly a $375 griddle. I paid her for half of it. We each have a griddle for half price 😀.

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
Amazon runs hot & cold on service as far as I'm concerned. I order two Bl 26 batteries from them. Rec'd them and went to charge them and they got so hot, i said no way. Others I had did not get hot. I went through the return process OMG, they said because they are lithium it was a Haz Mat item, I had to print out labels, Hax Mat stickers etc. Took it to UPS, they gave me a receipt. When I get home the receipt has a different tracking number than the orig Amazon label? I called amazon, Chatted with Amazon, and talked to them again. Finally they acknowledge receiving it. issue me a refund on an a completely different item I had not sent back. Got n the phone and had to talk to "No. 5 alive", again. Now told I have to wait until Aug 2 before they can do anything, Really? Sorry, if you have a problem with Amazon, you are screwed. Ther is no one in authority who can do anything, they read from a script over and over, and you are talking to some third world call ctr. that has no authority to do anything to help you. I only use Amazon as a last resort! Now I will have too expend an untold amt of time & effort to continually follow up, which Amazon could care less about.

randyr5

Bearcat
The lack of product at brick & mortar stores almost forces you to use Amazon these days. I like to support my local stores when possible, but...

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
Actually, we've all been brain washed into believing that price is the most important thing... but the reality is it is actually about 9th down on the list...

the thing about Amazon is it is easy... and pretty dern reliable
Yes, pretty reliable until it isn't. I have had several SNAFU's with them and trying to get it resolved with a call ctr in Mumbai doesn't work real well(IMHO)

redhawker

Buckeye
I really really try to find stuff locally, or from smaller retailers than Amazon but what happens most of the time is the following... After looking on a dozen websites and/or calling (or driving to) some local businesses to find out of they have item "A" I will go on Amazon and 95% of the time I can find the item and it will be shipped to my door by the next evening free. I sometimes wonder why I bother to look elsewhere but I kind of feel obligated to check other places first. This is why Amazon is killing other retailers because even if you want to get stuff elsewhere it seems like Amazon is the only place you can find it or at least the only place you can find it that won't take two weeks to ship it.

jbenedetto2

Bearcat
With the price of gas at record levels, it's cheaper to wait 2 days for Prime delivery. They also have Amazon Lockers around the corner from my house for porch pirate safe delivery. 👍

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
I really really try to find stuff locally, or from smaller retailers than Amazon but what happens most of the time is the following... After looking on a dozen websites and/or calling (or driving to) some local businesses to find out of they have item "A" I will go on Amazon and 95% of the time I can find the item and it will be shipped to my door by the next evening free. I sometimes wonder why I bother to look elsewhere but I kind of feel obligated to check other places first. This is why Amazon is killing other retailers because even if you want to get stuff elsewhere it seems like Amazon is the only place you can find it or at least the only place you can find it that won't take two weeks to ship it.
SO, if you wait a week or two, what changes in your life? Nothing.

redhawker

Buckeye
SO, if you wait a week or two, what changes in your life? Nothing.
Nice you can assume my timeline on needing something. Sometime I could wait. Other times I need it yesterday. Just depends. And I should have mentioned a lot of those places charge shipping when Amazon doesn't. If other places work for you by all means go for it.

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
Nice you can assume my timeline on needing something. Sometime I could wait. Other times I need it yesterday. Just depends. And I should have mentioned a lot of those places charge shipping when Amazon doesn't. If other places work for you by all means go for it.
It really wasn't about your time line. My point was everyone talks about buying American, using the local store, etc etc, but in the end, they all have a reason why they don't do it!

Latest posts