Am i the onlynone thst hates ruger paddle stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have never been a fan of them either.
My brother does have one in 300 magnum.
It shoots real good , but does have a little kick to it.

One thing for sure.
They are bringing crazy money on gunbroker.

...One thing for sure.
They are bringing crazy money on gunbroker.

Yeah, one of the first things I learned as a young gun owner, was the difference between shooters and collectors. A collector might want a Colt revolver if it has no turn line on the cylinder, is all original, and also has the box & all the papework. A shooter might prefer the same revolver, if it's had a professional action job, aftermarket grips that fit his hand, and maybe a pistol scope or red dot sight. Different people, different priorities. Neither one is right or wrong, and most folks probably don't land in just one category or the other; I own a couple of "collectible" firearms, but most of mine are for shooting. But I'm old enough that I don't laugh at guys who might want (for example) an original factory box or case for each one of their guns, because it often increases the value. Other folks just trash the boxes - to each his own!
:)

Last edited:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I currently own a skeleton stainless in .22lr, 223, 7.62x39, 308, 280, 30-06, and 300 win mag.

Along with a couple Lipsey Hawkeye RSI's in .260 and 30-06.

A Compact Hawkeye in 308.

A heavy bbl varmint /target in 308.

And, a Gunsite Scout in 308.
Unfortunately the Scout is not stainless.

Everything has a price but the dog, the kids, and the 30 06 skeleton.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Had one in 7mm Mag. That sucker just plan hurt to shoot, even with a winter coat on. Only had it a year or so. I guess the stock might have worked for a canoe paddle, but I had to work off a bad flinch after that one. It was thin across the hard pad, thin on the comb and had a skinny wrist. That did make it handy to carry. It did give the sense of indestructible and different enough to be interesting to me.
Like Powowell suggested, a rimfire might be the best.
To each his own.
Bfly

Crockett12

Bearcat
Some time ago I bought a .338 Win Mag with the paddle stock. It had brutal recoil and I've always handled recoil very well. With the reccommendation of my gunsmith at the time, I eventually re-stocked it with a Pacific Research stock and that stock softened the recoil as much as a muzzle brake I'd previously tried and rejected on the rifle! I wish I still had that stock as I eventually sold the rifle along with the stock -- and Pacific Research went out of business. I strongly feel the paddle stock is best used as a boat paddle!

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I've had a couple and never liked them. Evidently a lot of other people didn't either or they wouldn't have stopped making them. But the gun dealers and horse traders in my area sure love them now.

Personally, I like the way the stocks feel. They run a bit lighter in weight and are slimmer than the standard Ruger synthetics. As has been said many times, they do increase the perceived recoil. Recently I was able to find a nice MkII in 260 that had the standard synthetic stock. Luckily shortly after I found a "boat paddle" stock for a fair price given the recent collector interest. After mating up the 260 with the most despised stock I was able to tag 2 whitetails with it. This rifle just handles and feels better to me in the "boat paddle" stock. I just wouldn't want to fire anything bigger than 308 in this configuration.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I don't hate them, but I feel that they are a poor design for heavy-recoiling calibers, with thevery narrow buttpad. My 300 Win Mag All Weather is miserable from a bench. I'd rather shoot my buddy's Model 70 Super Grade African in 458 Win Mag! I put sixty180 grain handloads downrange from a rest with the 300 in an afternoon, and my shoulder looked and felt like someone had been at it with the back of an axe. Jaw wasn't too bad, though, as it seems to recoil fairly straight back. Hey, on the upside, I found a real tack-driving hunting load and discovered the gun shoots better after a bunch of rounds sans cleaning...👍

They are a unique design, and that adds a certain amount of exclusivity, regardless of how one feels about them.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
My 338s were like getting punched on the cheek by mile Tyson. MIne were not accurate either with the paddle stocks .The ones i had faded weird too .They cost ruger $12 to make and ot was the beginning of the end of the ruger 77 and in came the junky ruget American.which bolts terrible to make it cheaper.