Am i the onlynone thst hates ruger paddle stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I didn't like the riuget paddle stock when it came out and now it cracks me up how much people are paying for them more than pre64 model 70s for a $12 stock .I ended up with 3 of them because it was the only stainless rifle in 77 I could find .I put laminated stock on two of the 338s and they kicked less shot better and were way more accurate .I still have a 264 that was a paddle stock changed it too

Like a lot of things, it all depends on what you're looking for. Some folks like to have things original, whether it's cars or rifles. Say you have a 1968 Chevelle - the original factory seats may be less comfortable than Recaros, but a lot of owners who could easily afford the Recaros keep the car original. And some folks may think it's stupid, but the "all factory original" cars are often worth more!

As always, IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

I don't particularly care for them either, dgr416. And to the_leper_colony's point, I'm not a collector. I'm a shooter.

Shoot away! A lot of folks that own collectible cars or firearms in "all factory original" condition also use them as the designer & manufacturer intended. I used to work for a gent who collected classic muscle cars, and they definitely did not stay in the garage. I also know a guy who owns several original / vintage / collectible Colts, and he shoots them every chance he gets. You own it, do what you want with it!

gunzo

Buckeye
In my neck of the woods when the boat paddle stock came out it was the laughing stock(coincidental pun) of the gun shops. Suspect poor popularity was the reason for them to be discontinued.

Now, they're collectable. Go figure.

In my neck of the woods when the boat paddle stock came out it was the laughing stock(coincidental pun) of the gun shops. Suspect poor popularity was the reason for them to be discontinued.

Now, they're collectable. Go figure.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I never see those Ruger Hawkeye single-shot handguns anymore, and I didn't want one back when they were still available. Ruger only made them for a couple of years, and I suspect poor popularity was the reason they were discontinued. But now they're collectible; more power to anyone who wants one (or more than one), has luck finding 'em, and can actually afford them!

Last edited:
I never liked the looks and wondered how they kicked. A co worker bought one in .338 win mag. to go elk hunting. Weeks later we met and I asked how that new Ruger was working out. He had it up for sale and would never buy one again. Said it kicked to hard. He was a large guy and maybe couldn't take recoil like me. I had a Win 70 in .338 win mag and a Remington 700 at the time and offered the 70 to him to try out. My handloaded 210 gr bullets, I felt did not kick much more than 3006 180s. I wouldn't even try the 70.

9x19

Hunter
Not a fan either, other than of the price they could bring on the used market. :D

j p sixguns welldone

Single-Sixer
I like them also, i prefer wood, but i like it on my 338 win mag rs, it don't kick that bad, found one at a gun show for 20 bucks guy seemed happy to get 20 for it. put the wood inserts in that one also Ruger sent them to me free and put it on a hawkeye in 30/06. bought one on here and put that on my hawkeye in 338 federal need the wood inserts for that one.the 338 and 22 mag got Lett inserts. wish i had back the 7mm rem mag i had but traded it for M77 express in 30/06. need one for a magnum bbl for 358 norma mag project i got planned

375supermag

Blackhawk
Personally, I don't like them at all.
I also do not care for synthetic stocks in general although I do own one bolt action rifle with a synthetic stock out of about twenty rifles. Only exception is my AR15 that my son built for me.

I like blued steel and real wood...no laminates either, just don't care for way it looks.
Guess I am old and stuck in my ways.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I hated the way it punched you in the cheek with my 338 win mag and 264 win mag .I could only find paddle stocked rifles in stainless at the time I bought them .Those rifles were way more accurate with laminated stocks on them and kicked way less .In Alaska when I was there 12 years people called them ugly rugers .I know that they are laughing at people paying collector prices for a 12 dollar piece of plastic.