Am I the only one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave Schwaab

Bearcat
As a "Bearcat", maybe I'm just too limited in my experience. I don't really know, or understand, the progression, or requirements, to "level up".

In my reading of posts on this forum, there are certain members who's posts have provided information that is knowledgeable and informative to me. Those members forum names become recognizable, and I tend to give them a little more attention. Ultimately, it is the value I think their posts are worth that makes me pay attention to them, regardless of whatever "level" rating they have.

kmoore

Buckeye
I do not. I now looked and I see that listed. Never paid any attention, I seen the titles like Bearcat. Now I know a little about the meaning. I guess I will be looking at that number from now on. Doubt it will affect opening/reading a post. I guess I had better look at mine.

The Norseman

Single-Sixer
I myself have gotten into the habit of checking the original post date,
how long it's been around, and then the number of messages/posts
a member has.

The content is important to me; then I will reply or not reply.
Some posts just make me stupider the more I read them,
I stay away from them.

The Best to All and your Endeavors.

I never have noticed a level for the users. I check for the user name and whether I have found that person to be what I consider right sort of folks, in the sense do I think of them as decent sorts that I would probably like them in person such as if they were going through the small town we live in would I invite them make a stop and visit. That is all prevailing.
Well Wendy your post has made me very sad. With all of your requirements to be a right sort of folk. I guess I won't be stopping in your small town and invited for Sunday Chicken Dinner :)

NAAAAAAAAAA Just pushing your leg I would love to meet you sometime.

I don't look at the user level either. It really doesn't mean much. MHO

The 'level' only indicates how many posts that person has made. You can be an airhead and have lots of posts that have no content.
I read the title, then the body of the post if it seems interesting. By hovering over the title you can see a preview.
The level a person has achieved has no bearing on interest in posts.

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
Am I the only one that looks at a users "level" before reading a post?
I hope you are. Food information ( and common sense) can be found anywhere, and double-checked the same way. I do not eliminate information from any source based on time in a forum, amount of posts,or the experience as posted. No one really knows the true amount and type of experiences- each of which is a learning tool- that most members have.

LAH

Buckeye
Because there was a time when the old forum format/system was subject to post purging many of us "tenured" members had our post counts greatly reduced. We're talking 1000s of posts for some of us. Being that member levels are based on post counts, and many members lost posts, how can their level be measured?
This was unfortunate.

eveled

Hunter
Many members were locked out for a long time to. They couldn’t recover their passwords and the forum was closed to new members.

It certainly has been more lively here since the new members were allowed in.

Some have been disrespectful, but most seem to fit in well.

No I don't look at their level when I read a post.

Paul B

Buckeye
"I really don't care how many posts or "level" someone is at. I simply read what is interesting and contribute if appropriate. But some do get a private mental downgrade if they cannot do a proofread to correct grammar and spelling mistakes. Not only here but on other forums."

If everybody including editors of magazines felt that way, Elmer Keith would never have been heard of. I've seen some of his letters and, "HELL I WAS THERE" was written exactly as he spoke. I don't doubt my grammer ain't the best, and yes I know about the word ain't but it's my choice. and I don't have a lot of posts considering the time I've been on this site be I have been shooting, reloading and even some custom gunsmithing since 1954. If a subject catches my eye, I'll check it out and maybe give an answer to a problem. If asked I'm not afraid to say. "I don't know but give me some time and I'll see if I have an answer in my library. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but I do look. Many times I don't answer because others have beat me to it.
Paul B.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Here's what I think of judging someone's posts by his "level".

I joined a forum that was pretty much local to Arizona where I live. Was a member for a couple of months and a thread started that was about electronic scales. One of the posts was made about a scale the member had purchased at a flea market. It was a Friden Alcatel postal scale for smaller companies, but still accurate enough to meet Post Office Standards which are quite high.

The guy who had posted about this scale made a remark about how the tare function worked and why. I told him he was wrong and explained how it actually worked and why. We went back and forth a few times and in the end I told him he shouldn't post about things he knows nothing about as he could get a user in trouble when weighing smokeless powder.

At that time another board member said that the members of the board, including him, agreed with the other guy and against me for how it worked. I asked why and he said because the guy had a much higher post count than I did.

So I said, "so your knowledge level is equal to your post count" and he said "sort of".

At that point I explained that I designed the electronics and software and supervised the mechanical design of the scale in question while taking a break from High Tech Medical Electronics companies and was, at that time, the Chief Engineer of the scales division of Friden Alcatel. I told them to look inside the cover of the owners' manual and he'd see my name as Engineer and Author of the manual.

They said it didn't matter, he had a higher post count therefore he was right and I was wrong. That's the last time I visited that forum.

Jack Ryan

Single-Sixer
Am I the only one that looks at a users "level" before reading a post?
I look at it more often AFTER reading someone's post. If they are asking something I've read about a thousand times on ever gun board, then I'll notice their post count. If it is under 10 I'll put them on ignore with out another look. If it is under a hundred I'll probably see what else they've had to offer and THEN most likely put them on ignore.

If they have been on the forum a long time and have a few hundred posts I'll look through a page or two of their posts and if they are generally interesting or entertaining I'll give 'em a pass but that will be enough I'll remember their name next time.

BROKENBEAR

Single-Sixer
Does not mean squat to me ..content for sure is king ..if you are a regular reader and looker and occasional contributor you are the back bone of any forum ..I have a mental list of those I don't even bother to read the title when I see the author (yes that is very small of me but they give me headache) ..those are the one's who comment on everything from how to fly an F16 to brain surgery .. on the other hand no one knows how lonely, ill, house bound etc those kind of folks are or live with .. so compassion should be the rule rather than the exception ..my bad
Then there are the members who are rock solid and choose (thankfully) to share their knowledge based on a solid foundation of hands on, organized, formal learning of core things we hobby at that they have made a living at or have driven themselves to learn and retain knowledge at a professional level

Those are the folks I never miss reading a post from

Bear

xtratoy

Buckeye
Do you ever lose your level (hunter, single sixer, etc, etc...) once you achieve it? Over the years many posts have been scrubbed and in some cases post counts have been halved or much more. I seem to remember close to 4 times as many posts listed but no more.

As to the level of a person's post: Some people talk a lot, but don't really say anything.
I agree. The great thing with the members is how much and many interesting subjects do get put up. This being a gun forum that would be firearms regardless of any brand, we have a newer knife section which is a lot of fun and past that goes hobbies, pets, jokes a bit of everything.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
There are several different types of people who come to this forum. Some are looking for technical assistance for a specific problem, and I would guess that after they find the solution they don't come again unless they encounter another gun problem. Then there are the folks who come just to show us their latest gun acquisition, which is fine, but mostly does not contribute to much discussion. I am one of those that uses this forum for many reasons, the least of which is to discuss Ruger firearms. It is a social media location where interesting topics are started, especially in the Lounge and the Gun Control and Political Issues subforums. It is a place to share thoughts and concerns with mostly like minded people who care about others, and about our nation. The owners and moderators are quite liberal here, unlike some forums where the slightest deviation into subject areas not to their liking results in suspensions or bans. In that regard I think of forums that I used to frequent but totally gave up on like the Smith and Wesson forum, The High Road, and The Firing Line. And I welcome new names unless they are obviously trolls.
I got thrown off ARFCOM for posting that 5.56 only existed so they could let Women and Gay's into the Military.