Am I the only one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hvymax

Blackhawk
Maybe. I only came here because my Max9 was light striking. Ruger had no solution so I used a mill cutter to deepen the striker channel and ordered a Wolf spring so my primers know they've been hit.
My Ruger experience is minimal. I've had a 10-22 and an LCP for years. I bought the Max 9 over several others based on the reliability of the Gen1 LCP. Evidently Ruger should have stuck with hammers because my Max 9 may as well have been an early Kel Tec considering the work it took to make it reliable.

hey I still know folks that "hang around,,look, watch ...." and they tell me so, and they are NOT Members, nor will they ever post anything....and for the ones that WANT to, they gotta start somewhere and to me, it is NOT , by any stretch of the imagination "how many posts they have" but by the content, over time....:cool:

".....and so it goes...." Wil Terry, may he rest in Peace;)

I never have noticed a level for the users. I check for the user name and whether I have found that person to be what I consider right sort of folks, in the sense do I think of them as decent sorts that I would probably like them in person such as if they were going through the small town we live in would I invite them make a stop and visit. That is all prevailing.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't judge people by the "user level" that is shown by their avatar. I usually read their post and assess whether or not there is useful information there or not, whether or not I would enjoy interacting with them. I don't think I can judge the depth or breadth of a person's knowledge or their character by how many posts they have on a particular firearm forum. I might learn something from anyone whether it is about firearms or life.

wolfsong

Staff member
Am I the only one that looks at a users "level" before reading a post?
Am I the only one that looks at a users "level" before reading a post?
Because there was a time when the old forum format/system was subject to post purging many of us "tenured" members had our post counts greatly reduced. We're talking 1000s of posts for some of us. Being that member levels are based on post counts, and many members lost posts, how can their level be measured?

Content of their posts counts more, in my view, followed by longevity on the forum. Post counts are not any type of criteria, to me.

Except when I post a picture, I almost always read rugerforum on my phone.

I’ve set up my profile to remove the signatures at the bottom of posts to make it cleaner..

But also, on the phone, it only shows the user’s name. Not any post counts.

It does say “moderator” “single sixes” “hunter” etc. But no, I don’t pay any attention to them at all.

Well, unless they are being rude like that guy a month ago or so. Thank goodness he’s gone.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I really don't care how many posts or "level" someone is at. I simply read what is interesting and contribute if appropriate. But some do get a private mental downgrade if they cannot do a proofread to correct grammar and spelling mistakes. Not only here but on other forums.

Hvymax

Blackhawk
What's funny is that I generally only seek out these groups when I have a problem gun or vehicle. I'm pretty sure that KTOG was my first exposure to what would become Social Media!!!

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I didn't understand what you meant by "level".... I guess it must be the little "title" given under the persons 'handle'.

Nope, I never look...

J.

sixmranch

Bearcat
Several Yeats ago, I belonged to a different forum. I began to notice one individual who would go through and make a one or two word post to every thread. His count was in the tens of thousands.

dstegjas

Bearcat
For me, it truly is more about the quality of the content than the numbers. I’ve seen to many people on several forums make 10 to 20 posts a day just to run their count up. I suppose they believe it makes them look important some how. However I learned some time ago that I learn more by listening than talking.

I‘ve been around for 15 years now and my post count shows 83. That certainly doesn’t sound right, but I honestly don’t care. So I don’t worry about it. If I have something important to say, I’ll post it. If not, then I will just enjoy what others have to say. To date, I have enjoyed everyone’s company. So thank you for that.

vito

Hunter
There are several different types of people who come to this forum. Some are looking for technical assistance for a specific problem, and I would guess that after they find the solution they don't come again unless they encounter another gun problem. Then there are the folks who come just to show us their latest gun acquisition, which is fine, but mostly does not contribute to much discussion. I am one of those that uses this forum for many reasons, the least of which is to discuss Ruger firearms. It is a social media location where interesting topics are started, especially in the Lounge and the Gun Control and Political Issues subforums. It is a place to share thoughts and concerns with mostly like minded people who care about others, and about our nation. The owners and moderators are quite liberal here, unlike some forums where the slightest deviation into subject areas not to their liking results in suspensions or bans. In that regard I think of forums that I used to frequent but totally gave up on like the Smith and Wesson forum, The High Road, and The Firing Line. And I welcome new names unless they are obviously trolls.