Am I the only one who likes Buck Knives?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just like with guns, I'm not as much of a collector as an accumulator. They have a nice selection of both folders and fixed blade knives. Their steel isn't necessarily the best, although very good, their heat treating is excellent. Their marketing is amazing. They offer a very nice BOTM (Buck of the month) and they offer the option of customizing to your taste and custom knives. Lots of choices. They sold a fair number of the fixed blade 119's during Viet Nam, and it's still on of their most popular knives. They made 750 of the BOTM knife for January and sold out early. The amazing thing is, they don't offer them the first day of the month.

Most of my customs are the popular folder 110. Several choices of steel, plus clip or drop point, choice of stocks, brass or nickel bolsters, even shesths.

One year I ordered several custom 110's for customers for Christmas. They were delivered in a timely fashion.

There are many customs you are talking multiple years for delivery.

I like them too. Sometimes I carry a 110. I have several fixed blades and a couple of traditional pocket folders as well. No customs though. I didn't know about BOTM Club. This may cost me some money. 😉

bullsprig

Bearcat
I would consider myself a Buck knife guy. Carry some form of a 112 pretty much every day. In my EDC rotation there's also a custom shop 722 (S35V). I've been to the factory several times and I'm sure will return again this year when I'm out there.
I would disagree about their steel. The 420 hc with BOS heat treat is a great everyday steel. Carries an edge great and a common guy can sharpen it. Benchmade's s30v isn't something your average guy can sharpen although I'm not sure how often most guys even bother with that.
The BOTM knives sell out fast. I have a few but had my name removed from the list as I just can't help myself and ended up with far too many of those little wooden boxes in the safe. I'm weak.

HW11

Single-Sixer
I love them. I carry an Auto Elite about every day. I have a carbon steel clip point and a drop point that I switch between also . I just got a Slim Pro with micarta grip panels in the mail yesterday that I bought off ebay. I carry a fixed blade most days also just because sometimes it is easier to get to when I'm working on something than getting a knife out of my pocket. That is usually a 102 or a Bark River City Knife. I think I only have two with the 420 blade. Everything else has the pro blade for that style knife. I have a few of the Alaskan Guide series. I like the black blade. I want a 110 with Stag or maybe bone and I want one with a damascus blade and if that's all in one knife that's fine or two different knives is fine too. I haven't found one that I felt like was in my price range yet. I still carry some older Benchmade and Emerson knives but I love the feel and weight of that 110 in my pocket.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
The first Buck knife I ever saw was in 1974 on a boy scout campout. Our senior patrol leader had harvested a Deer and out came the first 110 I'd ever seen. I wanted a "Buck Knife" from that instant.

I've "accumulated" a good many since including several 110s. Last year I treated myself to a Custom Shop 110 - Elk, S30V, nickle-silver bolsters... and earlier this month I nabbed one of the "Stealth Run" MagnaCut 110s to go with my other 420, 5160 and S30V 110s. I prefer the traditional clip pointed 110s but have a few of the drop points too.

That accumulation didn't stop with the 110. There is at least one 101, 104, 105, 108, 112, 117, 119, 120, 124, 152.... represented in my collection and several others that I don't recall the model numbers.

GldsGaB.jpg

They're a decent and solid choice. I gave up carrying a 110 40yrs ago. I like light, comfortable and functional. Kershaw has been my go to for the last 20yrs or so. My EDC back then was a 110 and a Boker Stockman. My current EDC is a Kershaw cryo and a Leatherman Juice.

Their 112 is my favorite and I own several customs from Buck in the S30V steel. It's my favorite traditional lockback knife. I also have and like their fixed blade hunting / skinning knives. Great product that's well made in the USA with a nice family history.

NetNathan

Single-Sixer
I have had my 110 since late 70's.
I use to work next door to Buck in EL Cajon, CA. We could get them for 1/2 price and just pass them thru the fence to get them cleaned and rebuilt.
Very friendly people.

kcsteve

Single-Sixer
My old 110 was replaced with the 110 Automatic. It's fun.
I had an old 105 that was as hard as a file, but I liked it once I got it sharp. The newer ones are not as hard.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
Love Buck knives, I carry my Impact Auto frequently and a 110 Auto is one of my my "dress up" knifes I carry occasionally. Automatics are all I carry anymore, since my State done away with the ridiculous restrictions on their possession several years back.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
I am a Buck fan pretty much myself. The 110 and 112 seem like pretty solid knives for the money. Offered in superior steels other than 420H.C if one wants to spend extra. Few years back I bought a folding Alpha no.249 I use for deer prep. Works well and sure came razor sharp.

KIR

Sparks, NV
My ex-fiancee gave me her deceased husband's Buck 110 after I found it in his nightstand. It had some green mold on it after sitting there for several years, so I cleaned it up and showed it to her and she said I could have it. It has one star on the left and two stars on the right of the '110' engraved on the blade, so it was manufactured in 1980-1981. Good heavy, solid folder. Retains a sharp blade.

RSIno1

Hunter
I've got 70-80 of them. Folders are my favorite the 110 is at the top of my list since that was my first Buck in the 70s. Here's a few of my collectable folders
A 110 with Damascus blade - A very rare dealer award knife signed by the Bucks 1 of 168 - A Kalinga folder 1 of 50 - 2022 Buck Collector Club annual knife a 152 non-folder but 110 shape 1 of 200 - David and Brian Yellowhorse customize knives this is a 112 called Rising Wisdom 1 of 50. Currently I carry a 110 light https://www.buckknives.com/product/110-folding-hunter-lt-knife/0110BKSLT-B/ If you join the Buck Club you can buy many knives at a discount direct from Buck - the 110 Lite is under $25. https://buckcollectorsclub.org/

Attachments

• s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 0419BLS1LC-B.jpg
    0419BLS1LC-B.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Annual-Knife-Back-scaled.jpg
    Annual-Knife-Back-scaled.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 112_RisingWis2.jpg
    112_RisingWis2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 88

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Still have my first Buck a 112 with finger grooves I bought in 1982. Just got it back from a tune up. Have several more and recently got a 110 and 112 with the Ebony. Love those autos!

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
I have a 110 that's cleaned several elk, antelope, steelhead, dozens of deer, and no telling what else.
It's a older knife when Buck still used 440C steel. One morning that knife was used to gut and split the brisket on two antlerless elk and it would still shave my arm afterward with no touchup.

Latest posts