Am I missing something here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Isn't THAT the truth! 😆

The various Forums that I follow are filled with anecdotes from folks who have found gun bargains at pawn shops.

I rarely find a bargain at a pawn shop, and have NEVER found a bargain on a firearm at a pawn shop here in MN. Not once! 🤪
While I was in Fredericksburg VA in 2009 visiting Son I decided to go into a near by pawn shop. Yes I agree I have NEVER found a deal in a PS. Anyway looking in the case was a very nice Magnum Marked Single-Six which was 1 of 700 made for $325.00. I couldn't get my money out fast enough to hold it until Son could get it. Oh yea the PS guy asked if I wanted the box to go with it. :)

Way back in the 80's and 90's I would frequent the local pawn shops and when travelling visit a few along the route. Found 4 or 5 of my Rugers like that. Even a couple boxes of 357max. Now it's impossible to find a 'deal' anywhere, and I don't frequent the pawn shops anymore, to many unsavory types hanging around and the staff know nothing about guns and are as rude as possible. I'd be afraid anything I bought at a pawn shop would come back as stolen.

Last edited:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I found a bargain at a pawn shop, but it was not a firearm. It was a Nikon camera that had a wide angle lens and adjustable telephoto lens. Only $80. Takes great pictures and it is a giant step up from my Casio compact camera.

hittman

Staff member
Pawn shops here are a personal favorite.
Recently saw a Lincoln TIG welder that looked like new and was priced at $1200.00. I called Lincoln to find out it was less than 1 year old, still had 2 years on the factory warranty and this price was about 1/3 of retail. It works great BTW.

About 10 years ago they needed $350 for a mint 2.75" Security Six. I found a proper red and black box for it here for under $50.

About 5 years ago they were firm at $400 for a mint 2.75" Service Six. And it turned out to be one of the rare (and now factory verified) POLICE Service Six with factory ROUND butt.

Ya know ….. think I'll stop by there again today LOL.

wproct

Single-Sixer
Pawn shops are like any other small business, they will vary in how good they are. I had a local pawn shop that was in business for over 30 years, and I became friends with the owner. He dealt heavily in guns and I scored some good buys from him. Of course he knew that I was a serious repeat buyer and he treated me well. As far as stolen goods are concerned, he reported everything that he took in to the police department at the close of business everyday and I never had a problem. I made other good purchases from him other than guns. Tools, guitars, cameras etc. He retired about 2 years ago and I miss stopping there everyday to see if anything new of interest showed up.