Am I dumb for buying a new GP100 online without handling it first?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
I've gotten the itch to get into a .357 revolver, and I'm impressed with the GP100 in a 4.25" barrel. I prefer stainless, but a blued one would make me happy, too. It would be my first wheelgun, though I have many semi-auto handguns, including 2 Rugers.

The problem I have is that I have yet to handle a GP100 in person, and no one I know owns one. The LGS's in my area have none, and don't expect any soon. Online dealers usually report them out of stock. I found a Smith 686 with a 6" barrel locally, but it didn't really float my boat.

If I can find one, am I a moron for buying one sight unseen? Or should I wait to get one in my sweaty little paw before plunking down the cash?
Does New Mexico have UBC or are face-to-face sales allowed? If you can sell the gun later for cash with no fees or taxes in a face-to-face, there's some effort involved but the loss of money is usually pretty small. If UBC, friction and costs are higher so loss would be greater.

I have a 4" half-lug fixed sight GP100, which I suppose is an odd version of it. It would be a bit chubby and heavy for concealed carry but not a bad hiking gun for OWB. Mine came with Houge rubber grip, with the finger grooves and a kinda teardrop cross section, narrower in front. I'm not a fan. Replaced it with the classic GP100 rubber grip, more rectangular in cross section with the wooden side panels. I love those.

It's no Bullseye gun, but the fixed sights hit pretty much POA out to at least 25 yards with most 158 grain ammo. Good enough for plinking and casual target shooting. Lighter bullets go very low, of course. Most GP100s have adjustable sights, so you don't really have to worry about that.

The trigger isn't as good as an old S&W K-frame, but it's OK. Certainly a good bit better than the older Ruger one-spring design like in the Redhawk. People have told me you can slick them up in double-action by polishing the sides of the trigger or something, which is supposed to be safe (unlike messing with the sear engagement; don't do that!), but I've never been that motivated to take it apart.

Other than maybe a good .22LR, a 4" GP100 seems like a pretty ideal first revolver to me, or 6" if you're primarily interested in target shooting or open carry. (Unless you have a great desire to own something in .32 caliber and a huge amount of money, in which case the ideal first revolver would be a S&W K-32 Masterpiece, pre-Model 16. Why not start with the best? LOL)

Jhawk@1261

Bearcat
I bought a 6" GP on Gun broker for $600 a few years ago ( just before the Fauci flu ) and it was just fine. I have bought several guns on line from Grab a gun and Gun broker with no problem. Stick with reputable dealers and you will be ok. Remember you can change grips to alter the feel of the gun to your liking.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I buy stuff online all the time; mostly drums, cymbals and various music stuff. About 80% of the time, what I buy meets or exceeds my expectations. 20% of the time, I'm disappointed. Given this "rate of return", I'm still far better off that walking into a "brick and mortar" store or a "mom and pops" place. In my experience, they have been nothing but frustrating. No thanks. I'm rather click on my computer than have to walk into a bring and mortar music store and have to deal with pushy salesmen, limited selection, salty attitudes, and high prices.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I like to check cylinder throat sizes with a pin gauge before buying because I want to shoot hard cast bullets and don't want undersized cylinders.
If you're just going to shoot jacketed bullets, probably no worries.

Besides, Ruger will fix an out-of-spec gun if there is an obvious issue that crops up.

Good luck!!
Ream it

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If there is one gun I feel confident buying sight unseen it's a GP100, because it's hard to mung one up. I've seen plenty of clapped out S&W's but I have yet to see a shot out GP100.

You have the most grip options available out of pretty much any gun that exists. There are countless grips made to fit the GP100. They are also easy to work on and can usually benefit from a Wolff spring kit or ISMI springs. Or leave them stock.

I bought a used 6" GP100 from a guy who blasted tons of hot handloads through it, many 1000s and it was just a little sloppy but still fully serviceable and still had probably 2 lifetimes of use left in it.

Last edited:
I think you should go for it.
20230601_170932.jpg
20230601_171405.jpg

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
That French Counter Terror unit (The GIGN I think) carried .357 revolvers as sidearms and fired 100 rounds of full snort .357 daily to stay familiar with it.

The only revolvers that held up to this high round count were Ruger GP100's and Colt Mk III's. S&W's shot loose after a while.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I live in a small rural area in North Carolina. If I had waited to handle a specific gun model before I would consider a purchase, my collection of shooters would be very, very slim. I can count 3 maybe 4. I do not have a problem at all with buying on line. Just purchase from a reputable dealer with a lot of good reviews and many, many photos of the gun in question. Most of my purchases have been on GunBroker but I have bought from gun forum members here and Sig Forum as well as Auction Arms (many years ago). I don't even know if it is still in existence. Maybe I have just been well blessed (divine intervention) or it's just been plain dumb luck. I have yet to experience an issue of any kind. YMMV.

harley08

Blackhawk
Do not buy a S & W! Their Customer service is worthless. I know after a S&W blew up in my hand and they would not help me! When I had a problem with a Ruger they went out of there way to help me. Buy Ruger!

Onty

Single-Sixer
I've gotten the itch to get into a .357 revolver, and I'm impressed with the GP100 in a 4.25" barrel...The problem I have is that I have yet to handle a GP100 in person, and no one I know owns one..... I found a Smith 686 with a 6" barrel locally, but it didn't really float my boat.
If you find that S&W 686 https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/bradfordsauction/21/730721/H22021-L301002473_original.jpg is muzzle too heavy, I wouldn't go with with full underlug 6" GP 100. Of course, grips on them are different and revolvers will feel in hand differently, but because of their designs and weight distribution, they will balance about the same.

There are 5" and 6" GP 100 with partial underlug (see https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/different-gp100-in-357.284627/ ) , but they are not so common and you have to take it in your hand to get a filling.