Am I dumb for buying a new GP100 online without handling it first?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

photographix

Bearcat
I've gotten the itch to get into a .357 revolver, and I'm impressed with the GP100 in a 4.25" barrel. I prefer stainless, but a blued one would make me happy, too. It would be my first wheelgun, though I have many semi-auto handguns, including 2 Rugers.

The problem I have is that I have yet to handle a GP100 in person, and no one I know owns one. The LGS's in my area have none, and don't expect any soon. Online dealers usually report them out of stock. I found a Smith 686 with a 6" barrel locally, but it didn't really float my boat.

If I can find one, am I a moron for buying one sight unseen? Or should I wait to get one in my sweaty little paw before plunking down the cash?

oldcrab

Bearcat
I like to check cylinder throat sizes with a pin gauge before buying because I want to shoot hard cast bullets and don't want undersized cylinders.
If you're just going to shoot jacketed bullets, probably no worries.

Besides, Ruger will fix an out-of-spec gun if there is an obvious issue that crops up.

Good luck!!

Understand about not handling the gun in the length you've said, but if I wanted a gun, I'd be more concerned about the condition of it. That's one of the reasons I like gun shows. I can handle it, check the barrel, etc. Good luck in your search.

eveled

Hawkeye
You should find one to hold and maybe try out. Spend some time at the range make some friends. Try their guns.

Or buy the pig in the poke

Johnnu2

Hunter
Without handling one, if you don't 'like it' or it doesn't 'feel right', you spent some money on a paper-weight.
We all know that our gun(s) need to be 'just right' for our particular 'selves'....

IMHO,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Since you haven't bought one yet, I'll add my measly opinion.

I'm a firm believer that a person should at least handle a gun they aren't familiar with as a MINIMUM before buying. Even better would be to shoot one.
And along with handling, shooting would be even better.

And realize that a different set of grips can make a gun feel better or worse in YOUR hands.

When I teach a class or clinic,, I have guns out that are almost identical,, EXCEPT that the grips are different on the same models. Each person's hands are different. Each person has a perceived feel of comfort in THEIR hands. Shooting the gun will help in that decision.

So, instead of buying sight unseen, I strongly suggest you begin by continued searching all the gun shops, pawn shops etc for a GP to handle. Go to gun shows,, AND make sure you have the money to buy with you. When you handle one,, and decide you like it,, BUY it!

When I handled my first GP-100 Match Champion the grip difference made me realize I LIKED it a lot. I had shot other GP's and SP's but the grip of the MC made a big difference.

Try BEFORE you buy. Don't let impatience rule.

KIR

Sparks, NV
I had a stainless GP-100 and while I loved the gun after changing the grips I also hated cleaning it after shooting. I had difficulty cleaning the front of the cylinder. Since my son wanted a .357, I gave it to him. He cleaned it up and while it looked difficult to me, he was happy with it. He spent 20 in the Army, so he liked working on firearms. I may get another one, but not a stainless. Just me.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I won't buy a used gun unless I've handled it in person. Buy the majority of NEW guns I bought in recent years have been online.

hittman

Staff member
If you're already questioning if getting one sight unseen is correct for you ….. seems obvious it's not.

Not a thing wrong with that …. Just sayin'.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
Of course it's okay to buy on line. The chances of having a problem are very low, and if there is a problem, Ruger will take it back for a perfect one in exchange. The chances that you will love it are nearly 100%.

If you can't find one locally, then buy it online. If you don't like it you can always sell it. In the perfect world, sure, we would always get to handle everything before we buy it. Doesn't work that way in the real world though.
Some of y'all are nitpickers. Just sayin.

larry8

Single-Sixer
I've purchased many, many guns new online and at gun shows. I've also purchased used guns mostly at gun shows because I like to handle them and check them out. Very rarely will you buy a used gun that has something wrong with it, as it can be sent back to the manufacturer to get it fixed. However I purchased several used guns that needed some sort of repair and they were of a manufacturer that no longer exists. In those cases I repaired them myself , but if you cant repair them yourself it's best to not buy that gun.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I purchased a Ruger GP100 a few of years ago online, without ever having held one or shot it. It was a good deal ($680), and used, but it looked new. When it arrived th,e FFL checked it out, including the trigger pul force, and all was good. I have gone shooting with it, and it has been terrific.

Having said all that, I also own two other Ruger revolvers, a .357 Mag 6.5" Blued and a Convertible (cylinder swap to .45 ACP) .45 LC 5.5" stainless, and both are Blackhawks (Single Action). So, I do have experience with Ruger revolvers. I wanted to expand into the DA realm, and have enjoyed this, and at the same time, I did not want to expand on my ammo calibers. Hence, another .357 Mag. I am looking for a .45 LC Ruger dual Action also (probably a Redhawk), but so far, they are all too expensive.

For those that did not like the stainless, I have trouble understanding this. Blued will wear, and Stainless does not. I use to quickdraw with my Ruger .357 mag, and the inside tip at the top of the barrel has the blue worm away, which is noticeable. And for those that said cleaning the DA Ruger GP100 was troublesome also makes no sense to me.

After I returned from shooting all three Rugers, the cleaning process on the GP100 was essenetially no different, nor did it take not any longer than that on the 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk. It took me maybe 10-12 minutes total time to clean all three guns, once I got the cleaning equipment out! With the Blackhawks, I always take the cylinders out, and clean these separately from the guns. But with the GP100, I have to pop out the cylinder to the side in order to clean it. There is not much difference. And if you are wondering as to my gun cleaning ability, my .357 Mag Ruger is 58 years old and other than the missing some blue at the barrel tip due to my quickdrawing, it looks brand new, shoots as accurate as ever.

3manfan

Single-Sixer
As long as the pictures show it in reasonable condition & you get it from a reputable seller, there's nothing wrong with buying any firearm sight unseen, most all of us have done so over the years. Plenty of GP100's to had here at Guns.com, Gallery of Guns (Davidson's) & Lipsey's in both new & used. The used ones are in stock as long as it shows that you can 'Add to Cart' but I'd call them to inquire if the new ones are actually on hand & they don't have to be ordered from their distributor (not an uncommon problem amongst online sellers). Those may or may not be actually on order from their supplier. There's no love to be found at any of these sites when it comes to pricing but at least they're reputable & have a large inventory. If you really want a new one & you can't find what you want at these first two sites, contact Lipsey's who has many special editions but will only ship it to a local dealer for sales.

wproct

Single-Sixer
I'm old school, don't buy them unless I can handle them. Of course I haven't bought one for more than 3 years, and I know times are crazy, but I'd still have to handle it first.

willicd76

Bearcat
I've gotten the itch to get into a .357 revolver, and I'm impressed with the GP100 in a 4.25" barrel. I prefer stainless, but a blued one would make me happy, too. It would be my first wheelgun, though I have many semi-auto handguns, including 2 Rugers.

The problem I have is that I have yet to handle a GP100 in person, and no one I know owns one. The LGS's in my area have none, and don't expect any soon. Online dealers usually report them out of stock. I found a Smith 686 with a 6" barrel locally, but it didn't really float my boat.

If I can find one, am I a moron for buying one sight unseen? Or should I wait to get one in my sweaty little paw before plunking down the cash?
If a 686 doesn't tickle your fancy and a gp100 doesn't either, you have exhausted the 2 readily available options in a quality mid frame double action. Just pay your money and take your chances.

I couldn't find a 686+ 3" anywhere when I was looking two years ago. Some stores locally would sell them immediately upon getting stock so when I saw one online I pounced. I bought it new from some place called Shepdog guns which seemed to have a good reputation. The deal worked out well for me, its my favorite revolver for the range.
Good luck on your quest.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer

Do you want to be called dumb? Not trying to be rude. I would never ask a forum of "A" typical people if I was dumb. It is your choice to spend your money as you wish. A smith and wesson guy might say yes you are and a ruger guy might say you aren't.

You bought it, so own the decision/ behavior. I have my view on your decision, however it's my opinion. You played the cards and the flop will be what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Also, looking and feeling a gun doesn't translate into a good shooter for you. I have held great "feeling" guns and didn't shoot them well. I am reasonably sure the opposite is true (a gun that doesn't "feel" good and you can shoot well. I guess the bottom line is that if you don't actually shoot it, you will never know until you do.

I have bought two guns that felt great in my hand over the years and I couldn't hit squat with them (beretta px4 storm and taurus g2c). There are some people who swear by them and have great success.