Am I crazy or what

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I love rugers espically single actions. I like short bbl's also so most of mine are short. What I'm refering to about being crazy though is another thing. I like the convertable pistols so much so that I have a single six with 2 cylinders a 45 colt blackhawk convertable and a 357 convertable. I like the idea of different ammo in 1 gun. but out of the three the 357 is the only one I have ever changed the cylinder out in it goes to 9mm and I have shot 357 38's and 9mm out of that pistol. The 45 colt I already had a non convertable just like the convertable I had to have the convertable allows you to use 45 acp in the colt gun. I have never tried it but went out and bought another gun to have the option and paid $100.00 more for the convertable than the regular. On the single six I have never fired a magnum in the extra cylinder. The 357 I bought without already owning another one in the cal. But the 45 I now have a pair that are a exact copy of each other except for the extra cylinder for 1. I already had the 45 colt that wasn't a convertable and went out and spent $500.00 to have the option that I have never even tried to use. It just draws me like a moth to a flame I bought a 454 alaskan so I could use 45 colt's as light loads.

contender

Ruger Guru
You aren't crazy,, you are more normal than you think. MANY folks buy the convertables,, and never swap out a cylinder to see how it does with the "other" type of ammo.
I tend to really like my convertables,, and I do swap some of them around & shoot them. The safe queens,, another story!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I don't own any safe queens. I cant stand to own something I don't use. I got a deal a while back that was that way. I got a pair of baretta's they were the police special,s in 9mm with 3 15 shot clips each in the box they had consecutive serial #'s. I kept them a while and wouldn't shoot either didn't want to mess up the pair in any way. After a little while I got rid of them and got guns I could use and enjoy instead of a pair jus sitting there. I own a bunch of guns and use them all and enjoy them. I don't shoot as much as I did in the past but still enjoy the trigger time. I have shot beaver with 458 magnums and have guns capable of taking any animal known to man. To me a gun is a tool made to be used not looked at I take care of my guns but use and enjoy them all. I take the same care of a 50 dollar gun as I do of a 5000 dollar one. They all are special to me.

ShakyJake

Bearcat
Hi,
I have an early model Single Six Convertible, not emasculated and split time about 60% 22mag to 40% 22lr. More expensive but much more fun. Gad what a great shooter. Only Picture I have available at the moment.

Rugersinglesix.jpg

TaKe CaRe
Ted

contender

Ruger Guru
TK,, I fully respect your opinion of shooting what you own. However,,, I do have my fair share of safe queens,, and I do enjoy them as much as I do my shooters. When I do a display show,, or teach a class, or share with a newbie gun owner,,, to see them smile at the excellent condition,, complete packaged product as it came from Ruger,, well, it's pure fun. I've got plenty of shooters in most calibers,, and in enough configurations to make my range trips enjoyable.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have not been much of a fan of convertible cylinders, at least in .45 ACP. I shoot those in 1911's or Glocks but not in my FA 97.
In some other calibers, they would be fine.
Having a choice is nice.
Sonnytoo

Axehandle

Buckeye
+1 Convertible Fan here! :D Off the top of my head my multiple cylinder "set" goes 50AE/500WE, 45colt/45ACP, 38-40/10mm, 38-40/40 S&W, 357/9mm, 32-20/32 Mag, 22LR/22Mag, 17M2/17HMR... I think that the only cylinder that I have not used is the 9mm cylinder. I have a plan for a 327 cylinder for my 32 Mag FA 97. Do I want/need more? YES! :p There is a well priced (cheap) shooter grade 44/44-40 SBH floating out there somewhere with my name on it...

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Get yerself a Single-Six in .32 H&R mag... then you can shoot.... .32 Mag... .32 S&W Long (also .32 Colt).... .32 S&W Short (also .32 Short Colt).... then you won't even hafta swap cylinders!!! 8)

Scott

Single-Sixer
If you're crazy then so am I... my single six is my favorite gun - 4 5/8" stainless - I shoot .22LR mostly; target/varmint/rabbit/etc. - but I can't resist shooting a cylinder or two of magnums whenever I'm shootin' paper (or beer cans, or wood blocks, etc) - or sometimes larger varmints. Heck, I even shoot a few .22 shorts occasionally. My "next" dream gun is a matching .357/9mm BH convertible in 4 5/8". Good thing for my pocket book they don't make one (or do they?).

ShakyJake

Bearcat
contender: If I had the wherewithal to do as you have done I might do it also. I am not just talking money, but time and patience. I admire and respect what you have been able to do. No I am not envious. You have worked hard over the years and earned all you have. I have only been in the shooting environment for about 12-15yrs and am enjoying working my way up through the ranks and expanding my knowledge as I go. It is one of the most open and welcoming fields to newcomers with which I have been involved.
TaKe CaRe
Ted

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have just recently purchased a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible. I am flat ENAMORED of the idea.

We have an indoor range for winter use (50') but we are limited to target loads indoors. The .45 ACP cylinder handles target loads extremely well and I can tell at a glance what is safe for indoors. It performs well, also:

img072.jpg

This was shot at fifty feet off an improvised rest while sighting in.

I DID have to do some work on the convertible. Both cylinders needed reamed and I had a trigger job done along with a "free spin pawl" modification.

I intend to shoot both cylinders a LOT. You can't ask for a better target cartridge to fifty yards than a .45 ACP with a 200 gr SWC. The .45 Colt with a Keith 250 gr bullet or a Lee 300 gr RF GC bullet will do all that needs to be done for a hunting handgun (with appropriate powder charge). It is a GREAT combination.

One thing I might mention - both loads are easily within the range of the adjustable sights. That is a GOOD thing.

FWIW
Dale53