Am I a gun guru?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The funeral home that handled Nita's arrangements called to tell me that the death certificates had come in. While I was there someone brought up the subject of revolvers for personal defense. One of the ladies employed sought my advice on a small carry revolver.

I suggested either a Ruger LCR or a Smith & Wesson Model 442, something in .38 Special. But whatever the choice, get familiar with it, and carry it so that it is readily accessible. Having to pull up an outer garment, or rummage through a purse can have you ending up being a client there.

Bob Wright

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
While I own, like and shoot my 642 well I regard them as a weapon for an experienced shooter, not a newby or one who will not practice. Because of their simplicity, size and weight they are commonly recommended but from what I have seen on the range with inexperienced shooters they are unable to muster the accuracy needed to use them effectively.

contender

Ruger Guru
That's funny Bob. Just today,, I stopped by a fairly new gun shop,, and as I walked in,, one of the guys said; "Great, I'm glad you are here. Can you explain this gun to me?" Now,, the guy is a part time employee, and he's also LEO. And we've known each other for over 15 years. He knows I fool with guns a lot. So, he wasn't sure on a specific gun & how it operated.
So, I politely showed him & the other guy there how it worked.
Once the good people know you as an honest & knowledgeable person, they don't mind asking questions.
You did good Bob.

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
While I own, like and shoot my 642 well I regard them as a weapon for an experienced shooter, not a newby or one who will not practice. Because of their simplicity, size and weight they are commonly recommended but from what I have seen on the range with inexperienced shooters they are unable to muster the accuracy needed to use them effectively.
I love "snub" guns and own several S&W's. They all kick like a Missouri mule. period. You must load them "down" to be truly useable unless you are a seasoned, well practiced handgunner that uses one on a regular basis, and can handle the kick!(IMHO)

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I love "snub" guns and own several S&W's. They all kick like a Missouri mule. period. You must load them "down" to be truly useable unless you are a seasoned, well practiced handgunner that uses one on a regular basis, and can handle the kick!(IMHO)
I don't load down in my S&W M36, I carry it with .38 +P ammo.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
My wife loves the S&W snub nosed guns and has several. Every time I find one , she thinks it belongs to her and claims it.
Her favorite is the Model 60 and that is what she usually has with her.
She has been shooting it for more than 40 years and handles it just fine.
Before she started carrying the model 60 , she carried a model 10.
I don't reload , so all the ammo is factory.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
For the other side of the coin how many of us have overheard a salesman telling a potential buyer absolute BS in a gun shop?

More than a few times I’ve stepped in and refuted what was being said. It usually irritates the salesman but the buyers have all been appreciative. This usually happens in large “sporting goods” stores. The salesmen are usually young, and being pushed to sell specific merchandise by equally ignorant “managers”.

I have a number of shops that I’ll recommend based on geography. These are shops I know treat buyers well and will spend the time to hopefully create new shooters. They understand that repeat customers is where profits come from.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I don't load down in my S&W M36, I carry it with .38 +P ammo.

I'm not Tenbore , but he is making one of my points for me , deliberately or not .

The point being that he's referring to an M36. I.e. an all steel J Frame . An 16-18 oz snubbie is plenty light enough to carry comfortably , but the difference in control to a 13oz is meaningful .

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My point for a S&W 442:

It is light, so not likely to left at home because its "too heavy." A light gun that kicks like a mule in her hand is better than a heavier gun at home in the dresser drawer.

As to accuracy, jam it into your attacker's gut and pull the trigger two or three times.

The lady in question handles a S&W Model 28 pretty well.

Hence by suggestion.

Bob Wrght

Snake Pleskin

Buckeye
My wife loves the S&W snub nosed guns and has several. Every time I find one , she thinks it belongs to her and claims it.
Her favorite is the Model 60 and that is what she usually has with her.
She has been shooting it for more than 40 years and handles it just fine.
Before she started carrying the model 60 , she carried a model 10.
I don't reload , so all the ammo is factory.
They make factory ammo that is designed for small snubs . Hornady makes a 110 gr Defense load that is much easier to shoot well and also a 90 gr load that has no recoil but moves fairly quickly from a 2 in barrel

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"For the other side of the coin how many of us have overheard a salesman telling a potential buyer absolute BS in a gun shop?"

Or how about a gun show?

I just answered an email,, where a seller at a Tn gun show today (Bristol) was trying to sell a "Ultra Rare, only 9 made" Blackhawk, .327 8-shot." The guy who sent me the picture, is a friend,, and the picture SHOWS the outrageous claim. AND the seller claimed that Ruger had to "shred the cylinders due to a lawsuit."
My reply to my friend was that the seller was full of stuff that normally comes from the south end of a north bound bull.

1659879379270.png

Last edited:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Coincidental timing: Last evening after a grueling day of work in the heat, Son pointed to an empty lawn chair indicating I should sit. Then he said "Let's say a 'non-gun' guy was looking for a handgun that would be accurate enough to hit a raccoon @ 25', sort of OK if the raccoon was in a live trap, capable of putting down an aggressive Rottweiler, and defending one's person when that dog's owner came looking for the shooter. What would you recommend?" W/o hesitation, I responded "A medium frame 4-6" 38SP/357 magnum and a variety of use appropriate ammo".
I've shot 38 'snubbies' and personally wouldn't own one except as a paperweight. Some/many like this configuration-that's fine with me. I just feel that the snubbie offers very little of the things I feel are necessary in a handgun.

Latest posts