aluminum grip frame and eject housing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hesco

Bearcat
new model can these be anodized to match the red color on the old model if so who can do the work.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm assuming you mean the "plum" color that SOME of the OM's have. If so, that plum color comes from an imperfection in the mfg process. It IS desirable to us as collectors. But matching the plum color with NM aluminum parts hasn't been addressed as far as I've heard.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't believe there's a chance in ____ to get a Ruger aluminum grip frame to match the colors of the "plum" Ruger cylinder frames.......

Solution? Investment cast steel parts.....

flatgate

hesco

Bearcat
what is the preferred method of refinishing the aluminum grip frame, duracoat, ceramic coating, anodizing, any of these would be more durable than what ruger has been painting on them.

Rob72

Bearcat
The absolute best, IMO, is a Teflon/moly bake-on. Not an option for married guys, frequently, though... :) Duracaot is good- I've been using it on most refins I've done in the past couple of years. Mil-spec anodizing is considered "the standard" for hard service aluminum parts; the current spec is hard coat anodize, with teflon-moly overcoat on the M-4, as I recall.

Anodizing has less build up. It is more expensive.

Teflon/Dura have tolerable buildup and reasonable cost, and are DIY without too much serious expense or effort.

Haven't played with the ceramics, but I understand that buildup is about the same as the other spray-ons, cost is about the same. Haven't heard of any significant difference (for equally prepped parts) in durability.