Altimiter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
For any of you that go out into the woods chasing bambi's mother/father
:roll: I came across a "wrist top" GPS/Altimeter. Garmin has a plethora
of offerings at a W I D E range of cost. The one that I decided on is their
"Foretrex 401" for $170 from that "A" place. Runs on two AAA batteries.

If you are in a new (to you) area this provides an easy way to locate your
position on the map in case you "are not where you thought". It also has a
map function that I have not explored. If you are a fanatic on location, it
also plugs into your computer and interfaces with Google Maps to show
you where you actually went (PAST tense, where you WERE).
(GEE! I THOUGHT I WAS . . . . ). :shock: . . . . :D

The one negative item is that the manual is "less than optimal" and you
end up in the "fumble and try that" mode, presuming you like the display
option that is shown on the web page. Set up time (other than the specific
display I wanted) is minimal. Lock up time to the satellites is VERY fast, so
you do not need to run it all the time, unless you want "one more thing"
to keep track of. :shock: . :D

If you are not lost, it's a fun toy to play with. 8)

As a P.S. . . . once you find the display with lat/lon and altitude, if you shut
the unit off, then turn it back on, that display becomes part of your option
menu. Like I said, their manual needs help, but the product seems very
good.

SAJohn

Hunter
Long before the days of GPS, I always had a good altimeter to go along with the compass, maps, and protractor.

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Something about older guys in Colorado and having an altimeter and compass on the dash or their car/truck---they always have a need to know where they are going and how high they are. :lol:

bogus bill

Hunter
I am tech challenged. I like that stuff but have a hard time figuring out those gadgets. When a small boy my dad was big on me knowing my directions. He would unexpectedly ask me to tell him which way was north. To this day if once in a great while whether in city's or in the woods if I get mixed up on directions I don't feel right until I orientate myself. My biggest hobby is trail riding on our Polaris RZR and a quad before that. I also fly and own a small airplane. I must know where I am at all times.
I like to record my trips on the RZR and flights. There may be better, but I use a Samsung Tab 2. There is a free Apt called "My tracks". You put Google Earth on your tablet and then download the Apt. Simply turn it on and hit the start icon and your in business. It will pin point where you are and then record your trip. It will record your elevation, speed etc. Then when you get home by your computer it will show you on google earth your track and even fly you right down the road or trails you took at ground level and you see the satellite scenery. If you get mixed up on the trail and you are headed back you can see if you veer off your old track going back.

737tdi

Hunter
Pat, I just did a you tube search and there are a lot of videos on how to operate the 401. Just about anytime I buy a new toy I search you tube and learn from everybody else's experiences.

Karl

SAJohn

Hunter
You guys are spoiled. As late as the early 1970's, there were parts of the Mojave desert that were devoid of all navigational aids and radio communication and eyeballing that desert from 10,000 ft didn't tell you a whole lot about where the heck you were.

Latest posts