Alternate Super Blackhawk Grip Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Spillway

Bearcat
I know is hard to get you guys to express your opinion sometimes. :D But........what is your idea of a good solution in a steel grip frame for a Super Blackhawk
other than the Dragoon style. Of course there is lots of options but without trying each and everyone which some of you probable have it would be a lot of expensive trial and error. My primary objective is balance in a 5 1/2" barreled Super and recoil. Thanks in advance for your input. Have a safe holiday.

Find a 'steel' grip frame from a Vaquero, and it will work on any of the new model Supers, as wellas you can already buy a new model Super, with a 5 and 1/2 inch barrel, and it has the round trigger guard, as well as the smaller Blackhawk size grips ( XRN 3 or KNR-3 or whatever)....... I sold the last two stainless NM grip frames we had at the last OGCA show, so have NOTHING in "steel" at this time.........

hutchman

Blackhawk
The original XR3-RED on the 5 1/2" should be steel as long as no one has changed it. You can always install a Bisley like this;

20130515_094456-M.jpg

Spillway

Bearcat
Sorry , I should have explained that this is for a very low mileage old model Super that has grip frame , receiver and cylinder pitting issues. So since it will be making a trip to have some freshening up it will be get some additional modifications. Barrel to be shortened to 5 1/2 " , fluted cylinder ,over sized base pin well you know how this story goes. I want to keep the original lock works but the Dragoon grip frame has got to go.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Use the XR-3RED grip frame from a New Model Blackhawk.

Dave Clements sells a trigger that permits use of a New Model grip frame with the Three Screw Rugers.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Spillway said:
Sorry , I should have explained that this is for a very low mileage old model Super that has grip frame , receiver and cylinder pitting issues. So since it will be making a trip to have some freshening up it will be get some additional modifications. Barrel to be shortened to 5 1/2 ", fluted cylinder, over sized base pin well you know how this story goes. I want to keep the original lock work but the Dragoon grip frame has got to go.

Thx, that helped a bunch.

I suggest you find a new model SBH with 5 1/2" barrel to handle. It has the standard Blackhawk and original Vaquero grip frame, the XR3-RED size. I like it better than the Dragoon on a short barrel gun.

If you like it, and I think you will, the Old Army used one in the old style that will screw right onto your Old Model SBH and operate with your old action parts. They are hard to find for sale, HOWEVER, I know of one for sale in blue steel at a decent price. Let me know as soon as you decide if that would be to your liking and I'll connect you with the seller on this forum.

You can buy a new model version of the XR3-RED size grip frame, but you'll also need a Clements adapter trigger for it to work on your old model (or you can make a homemade trigger spring adapter, I can help you with more info). The result would be the same but cost you more. Converting to a Bisley grip frame which is also a new model part will also require a Clements trigger or spring adapter.

On another issue, I suggest you consider converting to a pinned in blade front sight base like the stainless new model Rugers have, when you have the barrel cut. Just have a slot milled in your original sight base. Much easier to make front sight height changes on blue guns. Ruger makes a taller front sight blade that you can pin in place since generally a higher front sight is need when a barrel is shortened.

Hope that's helpful,

Being we now know its an "old model" and is going in anyway for "work", I agree with 'jpdesign' I 'd simple cut, reshape and weld up the LONGER old model frame, then you'd have the "best" of both worlds,steel & a longer frame to hold onto...or if for "carry" ( back packing,etc), make the grip frame into a LONG "birds head" round off the bottom ,back (lower) and really make it a 'custom" , one of a kind.......

Spillway

Bearcat
Thanks guys this is exactly the food for thought I need to sort this out. Base on your recommendations I am leaning toward the Old Army grip frame idea but would like to just to verify a couple of thing. Grip frame to receiver fit is one of my pet peeves so to give a smith something viable to work with would I need to locate an Old Army in the white or will there still be enough material there on a previously fitted frame . The question then is grips , if I understand this correctly the Old Army would require XR3-RED grips? Since the front sight will need to be regulated to the shorter barrel length a new base only makes sense. Doesn't it typically have a better finished look if you just start with all new hardware on that end. Not trying to spend money just want a to keep my expectations in line with what I am giving them.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
A finished grip frame should be fine. I hardly ever fit the sides of an already finished grip frame, they are very close from frame to frame. The only area that usually needs fitting are the tips of the two ears alongside the hammer. The newer grip frames are taller and have to be worked down to fit on older guns. But since the Old Army was discontinued before that, it will be a very close match to your gun. And since you're getting your gun re-blued anyway, your smith can match polish them assembled and re-blue the grip frame with your gun and it'll be a perfect blue match. It would be a slim chance to find one in the white anyway.

Correct, you'll need new or old model XR3-RED grips, either would work.

I would not buy a new sight, but it may cost you less than the time-on-the-clock it takes for your smith to unsolder the old one. But plan on refinishing the new sight with the barrel anyway after it's soldered on. New ones always seem to come with little dings or crooked polishing lines that need fixing and re-bluing. So I use the old site. And besides, if you have a slot milled in it and the pin hole drilled, might just as well use the original. If you don't plan to pin the blade in, then order a new sight with the highest blade available so you can file it down if needed. See what your smith prefers.

Highest front sight with integral base is .595" Ruger # MR3645, Brownells #780-012-047AH, $10.99
Highest front sight blade for pinning is #MR03611, #780-001-239AH, $7.99

Both of these are for the .45 Colt Blackhawks.

Spillway

Bearcat
I had been saving these, so the Old Army grip frame idea for this project is falling in place. So now all I need is a serviceable frame and this project will be ready to ship.
A nice set of Lett's that I picked up from a forum member.

Latest posts