Alox "over lube" on commercial cast and lubed bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
I have run a search and guess I just can't find the info. I shoot some Missouri commercial cast bullets...they are a 12 hardness "cowboy" bullet...shoot them in my 45 Colt in a Vaquero and a Pietta clone. Shoot good and minimum to moderate leading but pretty smoky. I've heard a coating of Alox right over the hard "crayola" lube will clean things up and also help with any minor leading issues. Nothing shot at high velocities..all with Trail Boss at around 700 fps.

I don't cast (have major lung issues and dr. has said no casting at all) so while I realize casting is the solution..it's not my solution. If any one has over lubed with Alox (or any other liquid lube) with decent results I'd appreciate any comments. Just looking for a fairly good and simple solution to lots of smoke and minor leading and the method of application you might have used...

Thanks

5of7

Hunter
If you go to http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/ there are guys that will have all the skinny on these issues and some of them cast bullets for sale. 8)

Chief 101

Hunter
I have never heard this but I see no safety issues with over lubing...I can't say that it makes sense but it could be worth a try...I would try it and find out first hand and bypass the internet bs you will get....in the end it is what you will have to do to find out the answer...then you will have first hand knowledge...which is a rare asset in the internet forums...

DGW1949

Hunter
In my experience....yeah, a coating of Alox will help.
On the other hand though, do realize that you'd be masking the real problem(s); too hard of an aloy for the pressures you're loading to, possible bullet fitment issues, etc, etc.

DGW

opos

Buckeye
DGW1949 said:
In my experience....yeah, a coating of Alox will help.
On the other hand though, do realize that you'd be masking the real problem(s); too hard of an aloy for the pressures you're loading to, possible bullet fitment issues, etc, etc.

DGW

No question there are issues causing the minor leading, etc...but not being able to cast as I'd said I'm pretty much in a position to shoot what is available if I want to shoot cast....The velocities with Trail Boss are very low...the bullets are only about 12 hardness so not hard cast and should be about right for the cowboy velocity...and the leading is pretty minor...smoke is a lot and not good for my handicapped lungs so mainly looking to cut down on the smoke...I have taken to shooting outdoors most of the time to avoid the smoke issue but do shoot inside now and then and it's not pleasant...I'd just heard about overcoating with Alox and didn't know if it was a "full strength" thing or a diluted formula folks had been using..

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
in the last year, I've started tumble lubing (with LLA) all of my "pre-lubed" commercial cast bullets. I've noticed the extreme spreads and standard deviations have tightened up noticeably.

jd

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mr surveyor said:
in the last year, I've started tumble lubing (with LLA) all of my "pre-lubed" commercial cast bullets. I've noticed the extreme spreads and standard deviations have tightened up noticeably.

Hi,

I cast my own and use only LLA on all my bullets, where it works fine for me. Some years ago, a buddy was shooting silhouettes and having a problem with commercially cast bullets, both accuracy and leading wise. He asked if I'd ever "over lubed" any commercial bullets with LLA, which I had not. So he decided to try it.

He came back with similar glowing reports from both the paper and the chrono! And, until he started casting himself, when I gave him a lubrisizer tool as a retirement gift, he continued the practice. I can only recommend you give it a try! And, from the "helpful hint" department, you may wish to give the bullets a wipe down with a rag and some mineral spirits after they're loaded. The LLA that's left on the outside does nothing for the bullet's performance, but does collect lint, dust and sand like some kind of crud magnet!

Good luck,

Rick C

WMB30

Single-Sixer
opos, suggest you might give consideration to powder coating the cast bullets. No conventional lube,no smoke,no leading.

Bill

opos

Buckeye
WMB30 said:
opos, suggest you might give consideration to powder coating the cast bullets. No conventional lube,no smoke,no leading.

Bill

I've been looking at that.....I got a couple thousand of the various caliber Missouri bullets on hand and am shooting those up as I'm able....I may have over stated the case...the smoke and leading are issues for me because of my lung situation but would be considered fairly minor to others...the blue crayola lube is nice for them to ship but not the best for shooting....Think I'm going to get a tube of Alox...cut it just a tad with odorless mineral spirits and tumble a bunch and load them up...

I'd only asked the question for folks that either use it or have had a problem with it but the idea of powder coating is a good possibility for a ways on down the road...I think Missouri is also selling a pre coated bullet here lately so may look into that....My Grandson might get a "windfall" with a bunch of bulllets and I might replace them with already coated ones..

Thanks again to all that replied..

Enjoy the game if you will be watching.

mikld

Blackhawk
I've read of lots of fellers "over lubing", as in applying alox over already lubed bullets. Most reports have been positive, but you won't be taking away any smoke. In fact, your rounds will get a bit smokier...

Latest posts