(Almost) All Ruger Day at the Range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

E

Single-Sixer
Got to spend Dad's birthday with him at the range today, and other than one lonely J-frame 638 and my new 9E, Dad and I both packed a mess of Ruger revolvers -- some old friends, some newer, and all worth an observation or two.

While I love how handy and accurate the .22LR 4" SP101 is (about 2" groups at 15 yards with Federal bulk, which is about what I manage with a Mark III 22/45), that action is super stiff. I've had it about 6 months, and I usually cock it and dryfire with snap caps a couple dozen times everyday to work the action, but that action has stayed stiff and is a single action revolver for all practical purposes. Probably would have done better getting another Single Six or a Single Ten. I even switched the stock grips for Hogues, which seems to help a little since there's more area to grip, but after about 40 rounds, my hand was cramped enough from cocking it that I was done with it for the day.

The solution, however, was to shoot some 240 grain 44 mags in Dad's Super Redhawk. The recoil loosened my hand right up. That revolver is a beast in all the right ways and is ridiculously fun to shoot. Dad shot the Super Redhawk and his .30 carbine Blackhawk -- another beast in all the right ways. Bullseye after bullseye as we shot them. Nobody does big revolvers like Ruger.

After that, I ran a couple cylinders each through the 638 and 2" SP101. I like the J-frame size, it's about the easiest to carry snubbie, and it's sufficiently accurate for what it's designed for, but it is not fun to shoot for long. I much prefer the recoil of 240 grain 44 mags in the Super Redhawk to even standard 158 grain 38 Special in the J-frame.

The SP is an absolute dream after a J-frame, and that one keeps managing to make it into the range bag every time we go. Seriously considering trading the J-frame and an LCR for another SP. It's heavier for carry -- gotta go to IWB and a good belt rather than pocket carry with a light .38 -- but it handles so much better and feels so much more... reassuring.

To finish off, I ran three mags through the 9E I picked up last week, and it's a definite keeper. Functioned flawlessly, good accuracy and easy handling. I do like it better than the SR9c because the sights are better -- bigger white dots and better sight picture for me. I know some other members have had some issues with theirs (as mentioned in recent posts), but mine ran really well after cleaning it after purchase and before shooting. Ruger has a practical and efficient design with that pistol, and its price point and reputation put it ahead of any of the other plastic wonder 9's from other manufacturers.

All in all, Ruger helped make Dad's birthday even better.

E

Single-Sixer
Always a privilege to spend the day shooting with Dad. The older he gets, the more he loves (and shoots way better with) the longer barrelled and bigger caliber six-shooters. After the many times of him being frustrated with semi-autos and now getting back to his original love of the big revolvers, it's as much fun to watch him shoot well again as it is for me to be able to get some shooting time. Hard to beat getting away from the rat race, shooting some big revolvers and getting lunch together.