Alliant Black MZ load data and working up a load ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Alliant sent me loading data for .38 Special up to .45-70.
For .45-70 they show 53 gr. for a 350 gr.RNFP and 49 gr. for a 405 gr RNFP.

They say do not reduce the stated charges and no over powder wad needed with any of the loads.
Now I will start out with the 405 gr. load but wanted to figure out a load for my 500 gr. RN bullets.
So would it be safe to load the 405 data and measure the powder height in relation to the amount
of that 405 gr. bullet inside the case. Then measure the greater length of the 500 gr. bullet inside the case and reduce the stated 49 gr. of powder to reach same powder height?

I should be receiving my first order of powder next week.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
They say do not reduce the stated charges and no over powder wad needed with any of the loads.
Now I will start out with the 405 gr. load but wanted to figure out a load for my 500 gr. RN bullets.
So would it be safe to load the 405 data and measure the powder height in relation to the amount
of that 405 gr. bullet inside the case. Then measure the greater length of the 500 gr. bullet inside the case and reduce the stated 49 gr. of powder to reach same powder height?

Hi,

The ONLY thing we KNOW is safe is data from the lab. Everything else is a guess, which, even if it's an educated one, can go either way, good or bad. I'd contact Alliant again...

You're adding ~25% to the original bullet weight when going from the 405 to 500 gr bullets. That's a big change in the inertia of the bullet and its effects on the burn. In a hobby where it sometimes takes far less to create problems, that's also got the makings of a big risk. Let the guys in the white lab coats earn their keep!

Rick C

Rclark

Hunter
Alliant MZ is a Black Powder substitute. So the rule of thumb is always leave NO airspace with BP and don't over compress it. Given this simple rule, you should be able to figure out a load for the 500g bullet. For reduced loads (say you want a mouse load), then you must use wads to fill the space.

Mus408

Hunter
Here's a couple of interesting loads that Alliant sent...

.44 Special-- 240 gr. RNFP 1.45 OAL 22 GR. 971 FPS no mention of gun used or barrel length.

.45 Colt---- 250 gr. RNFP 1.58 OAL 26.5 GR. 899 FPS
300 gr. RNFP 1.600 OAL 26.0 GR. 905 FPS

That .44 Special load I may try thru my .44 Special FT.