Alex Henry forearm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

83mvp

Bearcat
Any history/purpose/reason for this design? Can't really find anything by "googling". Can anyone give me a quick "down and dirty" explanation of it's origin and purpose? Or maybe where to look besides "Ruger and His Guns". My copy hasn't come in the mail yet. :wink:

Thanks.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
83mvp,
Ruger and His Guns probably has the best info; there is a picture of an Alexander Henry rifle from the WBR collection with the comment that this was the inspiration for this Ruger No.1 forearm.
The 1st Ad(1967) states: "Two forearm styles are available: a short slim type in the classic style of Alexander Henry---and a longer semi-beavertail style."
I would need to check my resources for certain, but I seem to remember that in the very beginning this forearm was termed the slender sporting style; and shortly later, the Alex Henry style.
I remember when they first came out, I did not care for the appearance of the AH. Later, it kind of grew on me and now is my preferred forearm!

83mvp

Bearcat
Thanks Uno. The copy of "Ruger and his Guns" should be here this week so I'll keep reading up too.