Alaskan repaired

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ron IL

Bearcat
I recently bought a used Ruger Alaskan 454/45colt with a fired case in it from 2014. I shot a few rounds through it and went home to clean it. While I was cleaning the cylinder and turning it, the ejector fell out. I put it back in the hole and turned it the other way and it went back in and seemed OK. After that when I turned it the cylinder would either tighten up and lock up or the ejector would come out. I didn't want to tackle the cylinder job so I called them and sent it in. I sent it in last Thursday and I got it back today, Friday. Eight day turnaround door to door. They replaced the ejector spring, trigger return spring, retainer screw, trigger guard latch and plunger, and adjusted the cylinder end shake. Then did a safety function test and test fired. It is like brand new again. I went from FedEx to the range and popped about 75 through it. Works great and demolished some clay pigeons I put on the 25 yard berm. I was trying out some 45 colt cast 255 gr reloads I had made to test. Various Unique and Trail Boss loads. Those shoot like a 38 in that big gun. That will be it's main diet. Not one speck of lead in the barrel. I got some 454 JHP to have on hand for big critters. I tried one of those. That is not one of those all day at the range plunkers. It could really work on the web of your hand. All I could say was ouch and wow. I also took along my GP100 that I just reamed out the cylinders to 358 for a test too. It was hitting those little leftover specks of clay pigeon on the 25 yard berm. The barrel was also spotless too when I cleaned it. Next trip out I will take my Redhawk 45colt/ACP for a test too. I just reamed it out to the 4525. It was shooting like a shotgun. The cylinder throats were all sizes. Hopefully it will be shooting better and no leading too. I am pleased as punch. :D

Mus408

Hunter
Glad you got your Alaskan back and running again.

I also have one and shoot heavy .45 Colt through it. In my case I get lead in the first half of the barrel after shooting any lead bullets including hard cast even if sized to .454.
From what I have read it could be due to the rather large cylinder throat diameter letting hot gases go around the bullet.
Now I only shoot jacketed or plated bullets and all is well.
A nice .45 Colt load for it is a 250 gr. XTP bullet with 20 gr. of 2400 which will take care of most things and is moving at 1100 FPS out of that 2.5 inch barrel.
Also 11 gr. of Unique with same bullet will give same speeds.

It is a very nice shooting revolver!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I use same loads. 20 gr 2400. 10-11 grs Unique. Went to Bass Pro this week, they have many bottles of 2400. $40.00 per black bottle. Powder is going up!

Mus408

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
I use same loads. 20 gr 2400. 10-11 grs Unique. Went to Bass Pro this week, they have many bottles of 2400. $40.00 per black bottle. Powder is going up!

Wow! still under 30 bucks here...I better go buy more!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
Went to Bass Pro this week, they have many bottles of 2400. $40.00 per black bottle. Powder is going up!

Your real problem is Bass Pro. Midway has 2400 in 1 pound bottles for $23 and in 8-pounds for $157 and both are in stock.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
22/45 Fan said:
daveg.inkc said:
Went to Bass Pro this week, they have many bottles of 2400. $40.00 per black bottle. Powder is going up!

Your real problem is Bass Pro. Midway has 2400 in 1 pound bottles for $23 and in 8-pounds for $157 and both are in stock.
Actually Bass Pro not too bad,,,, 23.00, plus 20.00 Haz-mat, plus 10.00 shipping $53.00 a pound Thing to do is drive 2 hours I-70 East and pick it up. Or the 157.00 keg , $19.62 a lb. Getting cheaper!