Alaskan Recoil Plate Polishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MEJETSKI2000

Bearcat
Got back from Ruger after having the cylinder replaced and it's not as silky-smooth as it used to be. The section of the recoil plate where the ratchet rotates looks pretty rough, not smooth as it was. Can I hit this with some 600gr to smooth it up some ?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Be cautious! You'll get unwanted "end play" if you aren't careful. The "ratchet pad" is a very critical location in any revolver.

Without inspecting your Alaskan I can't /won't comment any more.

flatgate

3rd Grade Spelling Corrected,,,, :D

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I wouldn't use sandpaper in that area on anything I cared about. Maybe a little polishing compound, but even that, very carefully. You do not want to be removing metal in an area where the amount of metal is critical.

-- Sam

Rob72

Bearcat
flatgate":vadhw8ez said:
Be cautious! You'll get unwanted "end play" if you aren't careful. The "ratchet pad" is a very critical location in any revolver.

Without inspecting your Alaskan I can't /won't comment any more.
flatgate

3rd Grade Spelling Corrected,,,, :D
That's the key point. If the area is really scarred and galled, it's 6 of one , 1/2 dozen of the other- either the raised areas will be peened down in cycling(and you'll see endshake anyway), or its light enough that its mostly cosmetic.
...I bead blasted mine. :)

MEJETSKI2000

Bearcat
I think I'll just dry-fire it a bit and keep some clingy lube on it. It's not "horrible" just not as smooth...

Rob72

Bearcat
FWIW, I brush mine with 600-800 grit wet-dry paper, using a flat screwdriver to provide backing(when I encounter this). Not looking to remove a bunch of metal (which is pretty hard with these grits anyway), just clean things up so that opening and closing are nice and smooth.