Alaskan 44 Mag SD ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
What do you guys recommend for SD ammo in a 44 Mag Alaskan? I figure the full tilt stuff like Buffalo Bore and so on are overkill and likely to create too much muzzle flash and over penetration. So I'm looking for something that performs well in a short barrel but is a toned down 44 Mag appropriate for 2 legged threats.

So far I am leaning towards Speer Gold Dot
•Muzzle Velocity: 1075 fps

•Muzzle Energy: 513 ft. lbs.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/649873/speer-gold-dot-short-barrel-ammunition-44-remington-magnum-200-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What you want is self-defense ammo that will open-up and not penetrating ammo. All the major manufactures have at least one line of self-defense ammo. I like Federal Hydra-shok's. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/527065

Boge

Single-Sixer
Honestly, for self defense I would use either the Corbon 200 gr. DPX (SCHP) or the Win. Silvertip, but both in .44 Special. Far more controllable in DA fire which is how you should be practicing with it.

stevemb

Hunter
I'm with Boge. Got some of the Corbon DPX in .44spec from a Corbon rep that was taking a course I was co-hosting and taking too. Then get some reloading equipment...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Boge said:
Honestly, for self defense I would use either the Corbon 200 gr. DPX (SCHP) or the Win. Silvertip, but both in .44 Special. Far more controllable in DA fire which is how you should be practicing with it.
I don't know? We had a case where an old guy at a gas station was being robbed by some thugs. He reached under his seat and got his 44 magnum and with one shot almost blew one of their heads off. The other guy retreated.

The parents of the dead kid tried to sue the old man saying he used a gun with too much force. The case was thrown out of court. Goes to show, force when used correctly can solve almost any problem. :wink:

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
160edm8.jpg

All are 44Spl Left to right

240 gr PMC, 200gr LSWCHP Federal, 180 gr XTP Hornady, 240gr SWC

Even out of a shorter barrel 44 mag ..it seems they maybe a risk of over penetration using 44 mag..

23it3es.jpg

Rossi 44 Mag 2.5 inch barrel

11rc8es.jpg

Charter Bulldog 44 spl. 2.5 inch barrels

These are handy carry large bore revolvers

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Thanks for the responses guys. I tried to order some of the Speer Short Barrel 44Mag ammo but it's not to be found.

I do reload 9mm and 38SPL and will be adding 44Mag to the rotation soon. But I will still plan on using factory ammo for defensive needs. My reloads will just be for fun at the range.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

whichwatch said:
Buffalo Bore offers a .44 Magnum "Anti-Personnel" load.

Anti-Personnel 44 Mag. Ammo - 180 gr. Medium Cast HP-GC (1,550 fps) - 20 Round Box
FREE SHIPPING - Purchase 12 or more boxes & get FREE SHIPPING! (Retail Sales Only). Please note that photographs may differ slightly from actual product.

ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG. Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Anti-Personnel 44 Mag. Ammo - 180 gr. JHP (1,500 fps) - 20 Round Box
FREE SHIPPING - Purchase 12 or more boxes & get FREE SHIPPING! (Retail Sales Only). Please note that photographs may differ slightly from actual product.

ANTI-PERSONNEL 44 MAG. Pistol and Handgun Ammo
Anti-Personnel 44 Mag. Ammo - 200 gr. Hard Cast Wadcutter (1,300 fps) - 20 Round Box

357 Terms

Bearcat
I load Barnes 225grn XPB's with 20grns of V.Vn110.

1190fps out of my Alaskan, the bullets expanded to over 3/4's of an inch, I will not use anything else for two-legged protection, I can't imagine a more effective self defense load for the 44 mag.

5of7

Hunter
I load the .44 Sp. with 180 gr. Remington HPs over 7 grs of Red Dot for 903 fps from a 3" Rossi model 720. I have zero reservations about the capability of this load.

The same bullet at a similar velocity should be ample against human targets in the .44 Mg. 8)