Alas the .45 Stainless Blackhawk is gone

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
All is just .357 in the 2010 catalog...... How much does the value on my .45 go up? I'm keeping my 2001 Grand Prix too........ a future classic! (But, based on current "trends", I'm considering painting my Pontiac flat back and calling it a "tactical car" and hoping for a quick profit!"

Dale53

Blackhawk
There is still a couple around. Someone on one of the single action forums mentioned his local dealer having two. You might want to check it out...

Personally, I am gonna shoot the "stink" out of mine and don't care what my heirs do with it. I'll keep my casting pot hot and bullet moulds "a flappin'" until they plant me. Then they can do with mine what they will. Until then BANG! BANG! GANG! right into the "X" ring.

Dale53

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Mine is a stainless gun too. But I find myself prefering blued guns as I get older so I'm not broken up that the option has been dropped.

I'm gonna keep shooting mine.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I really enjoy the ease of cleaning my SS Blackhawk and if I mess up the finish, I can easily work it over with a scotchbrite pad. I do really like the look of a blued revolver though, but mine is stainless.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
That's interesting. I guess there isn't that much demand for them anymore for CAS with their own lineup in competition.

They make a great hunting revolver for the field. I have two 4 5/8" ones that I used for CAS when I first started. One of them had been my hunting revolver for a long time.

I guess the 7 1/2" one I was going to sell may be worth keeping a little longer. Until a stainless 44 Special flattop comes out anyway .. :D

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
They will be back :wink:

I have the 4 5/8 and 7.5-inch Blackhawk, the 5.5-innch Bisley and 5.5-inch Bisley Convertible as well as the various Hunter configurations so I am not a buyer anymore either... well other then I really wanted one of the 3.5-inch Birds Head Vaquero but we are talking Blackhawks, right.

Ruger will make them again, but I would be curious to see if they might make more 41s given they seem to not have made many of them in a few years. A variety of stainless 41 Mags might be a very popular option!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
How much does the value on my .45 go up?

Discontinuance ≠ increased value. (why do people think this is always the case :roll: ) As with anything, value is determined entirely by consumer demand and market supply.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I'm thinking they'll be back with the "engineering" changes to the grip frame internals to streamline all the single actions again. I ordered one today just in case, so I can swap out the XR3-Red frame for a stainless "Hunter" frame when it arrives (Even though I understand the frames can be swapped on the new guns too). I'll throw a SBH hammer and a Bowen Target Rear Sight on it and probably call this one good.

Thanks for the heads up....I NEEDED AN EXCUSE!!!!! :wink: :D :wink:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Budsgunshop.com has several 4-5/8 still available for $487 shipped to your dealer. They even have a 90 day layaway.

SL1

Bearcat
When you view the 2010 catalog on the website, it shows stainless Blackhawks only in .357 Magnum, but when you click on that (small fuzzy) part of the catalog, it takes you to another part of the website that still lists the .45 Long Colt versions.

I think Ruger is making a mistake on this one. The .45 Long Colt makes good use of the "New Model" large frame, allowing handloads in the 25,000 psi range. The new "Flat top" model with the mid-sized frame allows for 25,000 psi loads in .44 Special, but apparently not in .45 Colt. And, of course, the .45 Long Colt has always been the length of the newer magnun cartridges that the "New Model" frame was designed for.

So, it seem to me that the old "New Model" frame is the best choice for a .45 and the new "Flat top" frame is the best choice for the .44 Special.

So I hope they will just put new lockwork in the large frame and then get back to making them in .45 Colt stainless.

I like stainless best for carry in rough conditons and for shooting black powder loads for "cowboy action". (Why use powder-puff smokeless loads to "compete" for score in cowboy action when you can have much more fun making loud noises and LOTS of smoke for just a few more seconds with REAL black powder cowboy loads?)

SL1